Author Topic: How do we prevent GB message boards from falling foul of hate speech?  (Read 2301 times)

Offline Trifle

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • Gingerbeer.co.uk - The Lesbian Guide
^ Yep, absolutely.

Iíve had a couple of conversations lately where Iíve enlightened women rolling their eyes at the idea of lesbian erasure as to why some people arenít too happy with the self ID proposals and Iíve been met with an ďohĒ and a light bulb coming on. Thatís clearly why we arenít allowed to talk about it, imagine what could happen. Certain ideas might actually be shown up for the harmful nonsense that they are.

Offline Marty.

• Gingerbeer Goddess
Would it be unfair to characterise your contributions to that serious debate, Chewwy, as to cast doubt on the concerns raised by others regarding potential abuse from womens spaces including self idíd Transwomen and suggesting that others experiences of sexual abuse in public were not shared by you and may not be as widespread as suggested?

Is that a fair summary?

So when a self idíed transwoman who has been advising the government that all such concerns are scaremongering appears to have been exposed as engaging in the sort of behaviour women were concerned about in the first place you could either accept you may be wrong or characterise those women who appear to have been vindicated as gloating. Or you could do both. The last one involves the least credit.

When you factor in that those women who are supposedly gloating have been subject to death threats, threats to their employment and dismissed as liars and haters for simply stating the obvious, then Iím not surprised to be honest. Did you criticise their opponents for their lack of a somber tone when they were calling them smelly breathed, badly dressed, poor, middle aged or stupid? Nah.

Aye, it's a fair summary I guess.  Are you referring to Slanty's post re' being poked in the back by transwomen's penises (peni?)

(this is the best I can do at a cut and past quote so bear with...)

"Quote from: Slantrhyme on Jul 19, 2018, 04:32:52 PM
Quote from: Marty. on Jul 19, 2018, 01:57:00 AM
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/6804433/transgender-lag-sexually-abused-four-female-prisoners-days-after-arriving-at-west-yorkshire-jail/

#ThisNeverHappens
 Like being stuck on a bus or train with that perv sticking his, I mean her,  cock in your back, but not being able to get off. Oh yes, weíve all had it happen. Those poor women

Really? 

It's never happened to me (trans woman anyway), or anyone I know. "

The Bus Thing.  It hasn't happened to me or anyone I know (transwoman with penis), has it you?  And I do take into account the case you've mentioned.  I'm hoping there's more going on there and that said person's is an anomaly with a whole heap of issues.  Once again... hoping.

And my comment about gloating was aimed at ALL in this debate, over all the trans threads, both sides.  GB is on it's knees, and I get this debate has brought a lot of people back.  But it has got nasty at times.  Posters have been verbally ripping each other's throats out / getting at each other for past grudges etc.

And Betty - of course the online death threats/contact with employers etc are wrong.  Did you think I was okay with that?

Lastly I'm wondering if anyone's changed their opinion as a result of our threads?  I hope so, as I can only see people becoming more firmly entrenched.

Proper lastly - I know I'll regret typing this post, as I'm shit at debates that are not face to face - so'll probably pop back to 'Whatever You Fancy'. 

As we were...  ;)

Edited for bold '' clarity (hopefully).

A bit of an exaggeration don't you think?

Offline Wolfgang

• Gingerbeer Goddess
It's an understatement...
I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong that transwomen aren't shouting at me to suck their balls. - Hhayt

Offline Betty Croker

• Gingerbeer Goddess
4 months ago it was about 60% less active than it is now. Which is not saying much. I suspect the worst thing that has happened to slow posting since then has been posters information being shared and used against them off the boards to threaten their employment and physical safety. Hardly an incentive for anyone to post.
« Last Edit: Aug 11, 2018, 02:27:43 PM by Betty Croker »
And now I know how Joan of Arc felt.......

Offline Lyco

• Gingerbeer Scene Queen
I know youíre not the really the type to indulge in any self reflection but I think the biggest barriers to people posting are your viciousness and the relentless transphobia on this board. Or so I am told.

Iím sure the other thread will creep up to 150 pages, the twenty or so being a succession of increasingly paranoid alt right links but thereís no debate to be had. Itís a bit sad that a once vibrant, engaged corner of the Internet has turned into Infowars but hey ho.

Offline Betty Croker

• Gingerbeer Goddess
My viciousness. Your posts appear to have become one long projection after another, Lyco.

There were no trans related threads before April and there was far less traffic on the site. Everyone here knows that. However, much you try to spin that one.

And by transphobia you again make a generalised smear against anyone who doesnít agree with you. Iím certainly not transphobic. And unlike your crew, I can leave political disagreements online without feeling the need to threaten to close the site down because Iím losing the argument or generally obsessing in real life about anyone who disagrees with me.

Offline Wolfgang

• Gingerbeer Goddess
4 months ago it was about 60% less active than it is now. Which is not saying much. I suspect the worst thing that has happened to slow posting since then has been posters information being shared and used against them off the boards to threaten their employment and physical safety. Hardly an incentive for anyone to post.

I didn't do that myself but it happened on Twitter, not here, they hadn't shrunk from putting their faces all over Pink News, and I didn't see any linking of real names to SM names except by the protesters themselves.
I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong that transwomen aren't shouting at me to suck their balls. - Hhayt

Offline Betty Croker

• Gingerbeer Goddess

I didn't do that myself but it happened on Twitter, not here, they hadn't shrunk from putting their faces all over Pink News, and I didn't see any linking of real names to SM names except by the protesters themselves.

::) Oh yeah, it being posted on a thread on here that my security wasn't as fail safe as I thought and my work details and photo were being passed around, is clearly not relevant. Neither is seeking to out one of the banner holders as me, even if she got it wrong. She claimed to be basing her identification on the fact that she had met the person at a GB meet.

It might have happened on Twitter but reference was also made to info gleaned from GB.

You really think people are going to want to come and "share" after that? Its just basic bullying.

« Last Edit: Aug 11, 2018, 05:41:50 PM by Betty Croker »

Offline Wolfgang

• Gingerbeer Goddess
Neither is seeking to out one of the banner holders as me, even if she got it wrong. She claimed to be basing her identification on the fact that she had met the person at a GB meet.

They thought Banner Left was you [as in Betty], but it's Banner Left's name demonios tomatoes, not yours.
« Last Edit: Aug 11, 2018, 06:12:16 PM by Wolfgang »

Offline Wolfgang

• Gingerbeer Goddess
 *that's out there

Offline Betty Croker

• Gingerbeer Goddess
What difference does that make?

People on here have said to me in private message that they are frightened to post their opinion because it might cause them problems where they work if they were reported. The inference being someone from here would contact their employer because they disagreed with them over politics.

What sort of McCarthyist country have we turned into? And why would that encourage anyone to take part in discussions on here?

« Last Edit: Aug 11, 2018, 05:51:17 PM by Betty Croker »

Offline Wolfgang

• Gingerbeer Goddess
What difference does that make?

You're not realname doxxed as Banner Left, and since everyone knows what Banner Left looks like they're not going to mistake it for you in your work photo either.  Ergo your name and work photo wasn't "passed around" to the poster who misidentified you.  Or to me, FTR.
« Last Edit: Aug 11, 2018, 06:16:12 PM by Wolfgang »

Offline Wolfgang

• Gingerbeer Goddess
People on here have said to me in private message that they are frightened to post their opinion because it might cause them problems where they work if they were reported. The inference being someone from here would contact their employer because they disagreed with them over politics.

What sort of McCarthyist country have we turned into? And why would that encourage anyone to take part in discussions on here?

I think you need to look to Mumsnet for spreading that kind of anxiety.

Out for now.

Offline Betty Croker

• Gingerbeer Goddess

Out for now.

Iím not on Mumsnet. Youíre the one moaning about lack of traffic on here so Iím talking about on here.

As for the banner debacle - Madge tried on here to publically link me to my real life persona but failed because she had me down as the wrong person. She tried to breach my privacy but failed.

Offline Wolfgang

• Gingerbeer Goddess

Out for now.

Iím not on Mumsnet. Youíre the one moaning about lack of traffic on here so Iím talking about on here.

As for the banner debacle - Madge tried on here to publically link me to my real life persona but failed because she had me down as the wrong person. She tried to breach my privacy but failed.

I think she linked Betty to Banner Left, who was already public.  Your real life persona doesn't come into it.
« Last Edit: Aug 11, 2018, 06:27:38 PM by Wolfgang »