Author Topic: How do we prevent GB message boards from falling foul of hate speech?  (Read 2296 times)

Offline Lust for Life

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • deep down, I think I am an optimist ...
There are a lot of congratulatory and gloating posts on here.  Which sucks, when you think about the serious debate we are supposed to be having.   :-X

True, but it also sucks that the original poster started by whingeing about single issue posting, but when picked up on her own single issue posting, she did nothing about that either.

Offline Betty Croker

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • Gingerbeer.co.uk - The Lesbian Guide
Would it be unfair to characterise your contributions to that serious debate, Chewwy, as to cast doubt on the concerns raised by others regarding potential abuse from womens spaces including self idíd Transwomen and suggesting that others experiences of sexual abuse in public were not shared by you and may not be as widespread as suggested?

Is that a fair summary?

So when a self idíed transwoman who has been advising the government that all such concerns are scaremongering appears to have been exposed as engaging in the sort of behaviour women were concerned about in the first place you could either accept you may be wrong or characterise those women who appear to have been vindicated as gloating. Or you could do both. The last one involves the least credit.

When you factor in that those women who are supposedly gloating have been subject to death threats, threats to their employment and dismissed as liars and haters for simply stating the obvious, then Iím not surprised to be honest. Did you criticise their opponents for their lack of a somber tone when they were calling them smelly breathed, badly dressed, poor, middle aged or stupid? Nah.
And now I know how Joan of Arc felt.......

Offline Slantrhyme

• Gingerbeer Goddess
There are a lot of congratulatory and gloating posts on here.  Which sucks, when you think about the serious debate we are supposed to be having.   :-X

I donít see it that way. This thread started with a call from the OP to moderate our language and the things we are allowed to disguss, followed by another poster expressing a desire to have this website shut down. I donít see gloating, I see posters calling out the OP on the attempted silencing of important issues, followed by discussion about what would be potentially suppressed, and the fact that this website has been invaluable to some of us in opening our eyes to whatís going on.
 Nobody has said anything hateful on here, and we are certainly not gloating about issues that might have a serious detrimental impact on the rights of women and children. We have the right to speak to each other about things that affect us, and we exercising that right on here.     
the summer is ended and we are not yet saved

Offline Slantrhyme

• Gingerbeer Goddess
 If weíre talking about pointless piss taking and mockery, I refer you to the poll that Wolfie started in DCG.

Offline Madge Hooks

• Promoter
  • Gingerbeer Goddess
No. Mockery would be me starting a poll to see if people have actually read 1984.

Offline Wolfgang

• Gingerbeer Goddess
^ Wouldn't be pointless mockery though.
I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong that transwomen aren't shouting at me to suck their balls. - Hhayt

Offline Lust for Life

• Gingerbeer Goddess
No. Mockery would be me starting a poll to see if people have actually read 1984.

A) I don't get this, would you care to explain?
B) it might help you out of the single-issue rut.
C) I have, by the way.

Offline Slantrhyme

• Gingerbeer Goddess
 No, you starting a poll to see if people had read 1984 would be you starting a pole to see if people have read 1984.

Offline Chewwy

• U16 Doubles Table Tennis Champion 1918
  • Gingerbeer Goddess
  • I'm an okay arsehole.
Would it be unfair to characterise your contributions to that serious debate, Chewwy, as to cast doubt on the concerns raised by others regarding potential abuse from womens spaces including self idíd Transwomen and suggesting that others experiences of sexual abuse in public were not shared by you and may not be as widespread as suggested?

Is that a fair summary?

So when a self idíed transwoman who has been advising the government that all such concerns are scaremongering appears to have been exposed as engaging in the sort of behaviour women were concerned about in the first place you could either accept you may be wrong or characterise those women who appear to have been vindicated as gloating. Or you could do both. The last one involves the least credit.

When you factor in that those women who are supposedly gloating have been subject to death threats, threats to their employment and dismissed as liars and haters for simply stating the obvious, then Iím not surprised to be honest. Did you criticise their opponents for their lack of a somber tone when they were calling them smelly breathed, badly dressed, poor, middle aged or stupid? Nah.

Aye, it's a fair summary I guess.  Are you referring to Slanty's post re' being poked in the back by transwomen's penises (peni?)

(this is the best I can do at a cut and past quote so bear with...)

"Quote from: Slantrhyme on Jul 19, 2018, 04:32:52 PM
Quote from: Marty. on Jul 19, 2018, 01:57:00 AM
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/6804433/transgender-lag-sexually-abused-four-female-prisoners-days-after-arriving-at-west-yorkshire-jail/

#ThisNeverHappens
 Like being stuck on a bus or train with that perv sticking his, I mean her,  cock in your back, but not being able to get off. Oh yes, weíve all had it happen. Those poor women

Really? 

It's never happened to me (trans woman anyway), or anyone I know. "

The Bus Thing.  It hasn't happened to me or anyone I know (transwoman with penis), has it you?  And I do take into account the case you've mentioned.  I'm hoping there's more going on there and that said person's is an anomaly with a whole heap of issues.  Once again... hoping.

And my comment about gloating was aimed at ALL in this debate, over all the trans threads, both sides.  GB is on it's knees, and I get this debate has brought a lot of people back.  But it has got nasty at times.  Posters have been verbally ripping each other's throats out / getting at each other for past grudges etc.

And Betty - of course the online death threats/contact with employers etc are wrong.  Did you think I was okay with that?

Lastly I'm wondering if anyone's changed their opinion as a result of our threads?  I hope so, as I can only see people becoming more firmly entrenched.

Proper lastly - I know I'll regret typing this post, as I'm shit at debates that are not face to face - so'll probably pop back to 'Whatever You Fancy'. 

As we were...  ;)

Edited for bold '' clarity (hopefully).

« Last Edit: Aug 05, 2018, 02:23:54 AM by Chewwy »
Hear me RoaaAAARRRRRrrrrr.......... purrrrRRRR.

Offline Wolfgang

• Gingerbeer Goddess
Lastly I'm wondering if anyone's changed their opinion as a result of our threads?  I hope so, as I can only see people becoming more firmly entrenched.

Well, I still would like to understand whether TWAW isn't a circular definition or whether it doesn't matter if it is but I'm not too fussed either way.
I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong that transwomen aren't shouting at me to suck their balls. - Hhayt

Offline Lust for Life

• Gingerbeer Goddess
@ Chewwy: my fence-sitting is as strong as ever, does that count as entrenched? ;) ;D

Seriously, I really value the positives of this whole debate. I am better informed on both sides.

Offline Chewwy

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • I'm an okay arsehole.
Mine too LfL.  And I'm glad you've found some positives coz' I havn't.   :-\

Wolfie - what the bobba's TWAW?

Offline Slantrhyme

• Gingerbeer Goddess
Twaw = transwomen are women, and the definition is circular.
 The bus post was partially pointing out the ridiculousness of saying *her* penis.  There is no female/lady/girl dick, a penis is a penis, and the only person who can have a penis is a male.
 This board has changed my mind actually. I was firmly in the people can be what they say they are camp at the beginning. Still my opinion as far as it goes, but when it gets foisted on everyone else to the point of invading spaces and eroding definitions my tolerance ends. Personal choices should should *not* impinge on other peoplesí right to safety, privacy and dignity. Itís as simple as that really.       

Offline Chewwy

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • I'm an okay arsehole.
Thanks Slanty, and Wolfie.  I'll probably never get the whole circular TWAW ting' definition, but ne'mind.

I'm glad it has changed some minds, gives me a little joie de vivre for the day.  But can you clarify Slanty... did the 'trans penis nudging you in the back, on a bus' thing actually happen, multiple times, or was this a thought of what could happen in the future?

I'm not being facetious by the way, just need to know if I've read correctly.

Offline Slantrhyme

• Gingerbeer Goddess
 Iíve had unwanted cocks shoved into my back twice on crowded buses. What the owners of said cocks identified as I donít know, but then I wouldnít would I,  but uninvited penis is uninvited penis, and itís all the same to me.