Author Topic: How do we prevent GB message boards from falling foul of hate speech?  (Read 2300 times)

Offline Madge Hooks

• Promoter
  • Gingerbeer Goddess
There doesn’t seem to be much lesbian chat or general fluff anymore. There seems to be an incredibly relentless focus on trans this and trans that. From what I can see, the main provenance seems to be Mumsnet in conjunction with a specific “lesbian alliance” group. This has now spilled over onto these boards,

After the fabulous resource Gingerbeer message boards has provided to lesbians and bi women over the years, I would lament that its sole focus has become attacking the trans community at every turn.

Mumsnet have been pulled up on it. Here are some links.

Has Mumsnet become a hotbed of online transphobia?
The anti-trans community on Mumsnet is something of an open secret. It has been present for years, and it appears that there has, for a while, been a lax approach to tackling this particular form of hate speech.

Back in 2014, Mumsnet clarified their position on moderating transphobic posts, saying “transphobia is not welcome on Mumsnet”

In response to this criticism, Mumsnet have now published these moderation guidelines:

Mumsnet statement on moderation in particular with regard to trans rights

How do we hold ourselves to a better standard? How do we ensure that transphobia is not welcome on Gingerbeer?

I would be happy to volunteer to work with the Admin and Moderation team on these boards to pull together some posting guidelines specifically related to Gingerbeer.

Many thanks,
Madge

Offline Betty Croker

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • Gingerbeer.co.uk - The Lesbian Guide
Would you like to actually quote the hate speech you are complaining of?

It looks as if by “hate speech” you mean anyone saying anything you disagree with.

We’ve got guidelines for breaching privacy and abusing people. You ignore them. You purported to identify me publically on here as someone pictured at a protest when there was angry mob chasing them. The fact that you screwed up and it wasn’t actually me doesn’t excuse your intention. You’ve sat back and done nothing, when other guidelines have been broken by people on your team. including posters being abused and threatened with job loss. So why do you think we should follow guidelines drawn up by you.

Plus you have the reading comprehension level of a five year old daschound and couldn’t be trusted to  faithfully interpret anything more complex than a pamphlet for pile cream.

And now I know how Joan of Arc felt.......

Offline Lyco

• Gingerbeer Scene Queen
Madge, I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Offline Earl

• Gingerbeer Goddess
Madge, you are a shit-stirrer and no mistake. What do you hope to gain? Might you pen an article for a shit mag?

No-one's writing fluffy stuff anymore? No, you're not, are you. You've turned up again on this board to promote this topic. And this alone. Your cheerleading for Top is simperingly embarrassing. You used to be funny, ffs.

You and a few others agitate politically elsewhere, it seems. Most of the rest of us are merely chatting. In a minority unhateful kind of way.

Leave GB alone, you creep.

My offer: if it seems necessary to update any guidelines, I volunteer to help...as long as Madge, and others who would create a public fuss/harm GB for their own gain, do not take part.

Fucking grr.
Nye Bevan, 'the NHS will exist for only as long as the people fight for it'...or something like that.

Offline Earl

• Gingerbeer Goddess
Madge, I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

I'm quoting this, in case it's deleted. Madge and Lyco too, it seems, have no regard for this site.

Edit: I say no regard but 'nuke it from orbit' is a tad more than that, isn't it.

Q. Is 'Orbit' the Pink Paper or some such?
« Last Edit: Jul 27, 2018, 04:58:00 PM by Earl »
Nye Bevan, 'the NHS will exist for only as long as the people fight for it'...or something like that.

Offline Lyco

• Gingerbeer Scene Queen
I can't recall ever deleting anything I've said (unless it was very personal, but I think I only did that once, years ago). And for the record, I may have RTM'd the odd post, but certainly not recently and I have never asked for a thread to be pulled until today.

You're missing the point. It is precisely because I do have a regard for this site that I have made the points I have. But honestly, after Betty's post, where is there to go? We can't even have a civil discussion about the way forward, instead, this thread has predictably turned into a personal pile-on on Madge within one post which may even be a record.

Madge, I would love to think that finding a third way, or indeed anyway, to discuss this stuff and agree boundaries would be possible but I just don't think it is.

Offline Earl

• Gingerbeer Goddess
You've asked for a thread to be 'pulled'? Do you mean 'locked'?

I often want 'to nuke' things I have a regard for, too. Just kidding, you disingenuous, destructive muppet.

Offline Betty Croker

• Gingerbeer Goddess
Lyco, your team mate Madge exposed me (incorrectly) on here as a Pride protestor, attacked people as having mental health problems, your wife has threatened to get posters sacked and hurled every term of abuse imaginable at anyone here who had the temerity to disagree with her and you finally complain it’s “got personal” because I said Madge’s comprehension skills weren’t up to the job!

The fact that you would rather get this Forum closed than live with the fact that someone, somewhere has a different opinion from you, is what you should be concerned about. It’s control freakery of a scary degree.
« Last Edit: Jul 27, 2018, 09:20:10 PM by Betty Croker's frosted buns »
And now I know how Joan of Arc felt.......

Offline Blythe

• Isle of Man Debating Champion 1981
  • Gingerbeer Lifer
    • http://www.gaydargirls.co.uk/scripts/ndisplay.asp?userid=rebecca-is-out
Would you define the word terf as hate speech Madge Hooks?

(Better go check with your friend who used it ad nauseum on my thread).

If you want to use mumsnet as a guide then cis is also not allowed as its offensive to so many women.

I won't be engaging with this thread again because as earl says, Madge and Lyco seem to prefer killing off GB rather than engaging with the most important topic since the 70s for LGBT and women.
The impact of trans ideology on everyone.

'Someone take Blythe's mobile phone off her before she says something silly'           kitty

Offline Slantrhyme

• Gingerbeer Goddess
Ok, so Madge wants new rules so nobody is allowed to say anything she doesn’t agree with, and Lyco would rather shut down this site than allow anyone to say anything she doesn’t agree with.
 Well that sums up their position nicely doesn’t it, for anyone who was still in any doubt?
 Thank you for showing us who you are, again.
the summer is ended and we are not yet saved

Offline Madge Hooks

• Promoter
  • Gingerbeer Goddess
A lot of people are accusing me of things, assuming what I want and know nothing of my experience/credentials.

The fierce protection of wanting to peddle transphobic content with impunity is incredibly troubling. There is little evidence of self regulation, even down to name-calling and swearing, as shown in this thread, as well as elsewhere. The trust to self regulate has gone.

I would definitely like to see a third way to have some balance restored and to clean up this message board. It isn’t just a message board for one particular ideology.

Offline Wolfgang

• Gingerbeer Goddess
I would be happy to volunteer to work with the Admin and Moderation team on these boards

The what now?
I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong that transwomen aren't shouting at me to suck their balls. - Hhayt

Offline Madge Hooks

• Promoter
  • Gingerbeer Goddess
I would be happy to volunteer to work with the Admin and Moderation team on these boards

The what now?

I’m assuming these must still exist, even if very remotely/quietly? There must be someone responsible. Mind you, I wouldn’t want to be responsible for this.

I shall wait and see if anyone gets in touch. Like some kind of seance....

Offline Madge Hooks

• Promoter
  • Gingerbeer Goddess
In other news, I don’t have a delete button. Is this normal?

Offline Lust for Life

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • deep down, I think I am an optimist ...
There doesn’t seem to be much lesbian chat or general fluff anymore. There seems to be an incredibly relentless focus on trans this and trans that. From what I can see, the main provenance seems to be Mumsnet in conjunction with a specific “lesbian alliance” group. This has now spilled over onto these boards,

After the fabulous resource Gingerbeer message boards has provided to lesbians and bi women over the years, I would lament that its sole focus has become attacking the trans community at every turn.

Mumsnet have been pulled up on it. Here are some links.

Has Mumsnet become a hotbed of online transphobia?
The anti-trans community on Mumsnet is something of an open secret. It has been present for years, and it appears that there has, for a while, been a lax approach to tackling this particular form of hate speech.

Back in 2014, Mumsnet clarified their position on moderating transphobic posts, saying “transphobia is not welcome on Mumsnet”

In response to this criticism, Mumsnet have now published these moderation guidelines:

Mumsnet statement on moderation in particular with regard to trans rights

How do we hold ourselves to a better standard? How do we ensure that transphobia is not welcome on Gingerbeer?

I would be happy to volunteer to work with the Admin and Moderation team on these boards to pull together some posting guidelines specifically related to Gingerbeer.

Many thanks,
Madge

Well Madge, is there a prize for hypocrisy? I just scrolled back through your posts and had to click through pages and pages of trans-related posts before I finally found a headings from threads about dogs and puppies, on June 15. (I didn't actually read them, I've seen them all before, I just looked at the thread titles.)

What exactly are you accusing people of? If there are one-issue posters on here, you're certainly one of them.