Author Topic: Poll: What is actually bothering you most about the trans thing?  (Read 1101 times)

Offline Wolfgang

• Gingerbeer Goddess
I ask because there does seem to be a lot of blurring/throwing everything at the wall and seeing what sticks…  You're only allowed one vote because if it's more than one thing from options 1-4 I would like you to explain to me how they intersect for you...
« Last Edit: Jul 04, 2018, 07:51:20 AM by Wolfgang »
I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong that transwomen aren't shouting at me to suck their balls. - Hhayt

hellohowareyoutoday

Re: Poll: What is actually bothering you most about the trans thing?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 04, 2018, 04:04:10 AM »
Hi, I am downvoting this with my downvote machine because there is no option for 'pizza' as an answer. The choices do delve into the realm of randomness, but a choice of 'pizza' would really seal the deal. Thank you and sorry for the downvote with my downvote machine.

Offline Wolfgang

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #2 on: Jul 04, 2018, 07:39:52 AM »
Yah, I was a little overexcited/facetious last night. :-[
But some of the latter options allow for responses by trans/allies people.
« Last Edit: Jul 04, 2018, 07:55:42 AM by Wolfgang »
I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong that transwomen aren't shouting at me to suck their balls. - Hhayt

hellohowareyoutoday

« Reply #3 on: Jul 04, 2018, 08:11:52 AM »
Ja, I liked them, just wanted pizza too.

Offline Betty Croker

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • Gingerbeer.co.uk - The Lesbian Guide
« Reply #4 on: Jul 04, 2018, 09:43:14 AM »
You're only allowed one vote because if it's more than one thing from options 1-4 I would like you to explain to me how they intersect for you...
Gee thanks. To copy your tone I would like you to explain to me why you think it’s ok to be so dismissive and patronising but I’m not going to start a thread about it.
And now I know how Joan of Arc felt.......

Offline Wolfgang

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #5 on: Jul 04, 2018, 11:15:38 AM »
It's not ok, it's just who I am on Wednesdays.

Offline Blythe

• Isle of Man Debating Champion 1981
  • Gingerbeer Lifer
    • http://www.gaydargirls.co.uk/scripts/ndisplay.asp?userid=rebecca-is-out
« Reply #6 on: Jul 05, 2018, 10:02:17 PM »
How ironic that I am instructed to only choose one when there are at least double that .. And double that again.

There's only one response ..
The rights of women and girls.

Where is the equality analysis on how self ID impacts on protected characteristics?
Not been done.

I will throw everything at the wall that has not been considered. Impact analysis has to happen.

On a personal note, Wolfie, I'm really disappointed in this thread and your tone and flippant manfriday remark.

'Someone take Blythe's mobile phone off her before she says something silly'           kitty

Offline Wolfgang

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #7 on: Jul 06, 2018, 12:52:39 AM »
If you mean the "it's just who I am on Wednesdays," the ManFriday/David Lewis thing hadn't occurred to me, I'm just erratic atm. :-[  But are you really suggesting it'd be showing lack of due respect to people who wear Borat mankinis?

If it's any consolation I woke up the morning after with the dread sense of shame I get after I've had a bit too much fun online.  I don't argue this stuff for the good of humanity, I do it for myself.  Maybe that makes my contribution less valid than those who care more, or maybe we're all a little bit more complicated than that.
« Last Edit: Jul 06, 2018, 08:24:15 AM by Wolfgang »

Offline Wolfgang

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #8 on: Jul 06, 2018, 01:02:54 AM »
And the logic behind only one vote was that with rational fears e.g. tigers, people are all afraid of the same aspect of a thing, i.e. sharp claws/teeth, but in less rational fears e.g. spiders, people find all sorts of irrelevant aspects scary, e.g. number of legs, furriness, cragginess, colour, gait, the fact the fůckers can walk on the ceiling etc   Of course I could be afraid of a tiger because it was orange or stripy or ate frogs...
« Last Edit: Jul 06, 2018, 08:25:44 AM by Wolfgang »

Offline Betty Croker

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #9 on: Jul 06, 2018, 08:25:39 AM »
Yeah, you kicked out and got some short lived attention and in doing so, dismissed everyone's beliefs and experiences that you don't want to accept and boiled them down to an option of irritational or rational fear of transpeople when no one had expressed that at all. And you managed to dog whistle that other people were virtue signalling if they appeared to be doing anything other than using political topics as a colouring in page for their own personal inadequacies. It would be easy enough to parody and dismiss your own contributions in a mock poll. Easy but pointless, undermining and spiteful.

Offline Wolfgang

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #10 on: Jul 06, 2018, 09:14:49 AM »
I'm not saying you're wrong…

Offline Betty Croker

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #11 on: Jul 06, 2018, 09:40:10 AM »
The thing is Wolfie, I can't see why you can't just accept that when someone who is partially sighted relays to you that they were seriously sexually assaulted by a man in a enclosed type of public space as a child and that they are anxious about men being more easily able to access such spaces, spaces that they as a woman can't avoid having to access, that you can't just take that at face value and hear what is being said. And accept that this informs and motivates where they are coming from and for you or anyone to paste over that with "No, that's not really where you are coming from, I'll tell you what your real motivation is. You're just a irrrational bigot" is bizarrely disrespectful and adds insult to injury. You can disagree about the conclusions that can be drawn from someone else's experience but not to acknowledge the truth or honesty behind that experience is just unnecessarily insulting and not justified.

And the same with me. I've believed that gender is a load of socially constructed, toxic nonsense that helps men retain control and perpetuates destructive relationship models, since I was a pre-teen and didn't have an awareness of the existence of trans gendered people and certainly wasn't basing my beliefs or arguments on them. I didn't form my gender critical beliefs as some sort of transphobic long game. And there are trans people who agree with those gender critical beliefs. But you seem prepared to essentially suggest we are lieing about that. Its just some elaborate cover story to hate on people we don't actually hate. And that's offensive and also intellectually avoidant because it ducks the difficult political issues about how you resolve conflicts of interests that neither women nor trans people have created.
« Last Edit: Jul 06, 2018, 09:42:10 AM by Betty Croker's frosted buns »

Offline Wolfgang

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #12 on: Jul 06, 2018, 11:55:49 AM »
Will try and come back to this.

W.

Offline Chewwy

• U16 Doubles Table Tennis Champion 1918
  • Gingerbeer Goddess
  • I'm an okay arsehole.
« Reply #13 on: Jul 07, 2018, 02:57:47 AM »
Still... worse things happen at sea.
Hear me RoaaAAARRRRRrrrrr.......... purrrrRRRR.

Offline Wolfgang

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #14 on: Jul 20, 2018, 04:36:15 AM »
The thing is Wolfie, I can't see why you can't just accept that when someone who is partially sighted relays to you that they were seriously sexually assaulted by a man in a enclosed type of public space as a child and that they are anxious about men being more easily able to access such spaces, spaces that they as a woman can't avoid having to access, that you can't just take that at face value and hear what is being said. And accept that this informs and motivates where they are coming from and for you or anyone to paste over that with "No, that's not really where you are coming from, I'll tell you what your real motivation is. You're just a irrrational bigot" is bizarrely disrespectful and adds insult to injury.You can disagree about the conclusions that can be drawn from someone else's experience but not to acknowledge the truth or honesty behind that experience is just unnecessarily insulting and not justified.

I don't think you can fairly say that I did that, quite the opposite, in fact, if you look back at The Thread.  And I don't know the answer to Slantrhyme's Venn definition of womanhood question. And I don't think all of the trans-skepticism on here is all equally bad, either. 

But I also don't believe there isn't also reactionary prejudice in it sometimes.  To me it looks like what fear of immigrants would look like if it was done by people with heptasyllabic lefty vocabularies.  As you say, you can respect someone's fears without necessarily agreeing that they're rational and should determine policy, but there are times when the arguments look more like scaremongering.
« Last Edit: Jul 20, 2018, 08:49:41 AM by Wolfgang »