Author Topic: Staycation  (Read 229 times)

Offline Madge Hooks

• Promoter
  • Gingerbeer Goddess
Staycation
« on: Jun 13, 2018, 10:08:49 AM »
Summerís here!

Other than a festival and a long weekend, I donít actually fancy travelling.

So, what can be done to ensure a holiday vibe right at home?

Iím already thinking about wearing shorts everyday and a Richard & Judy book club book. Also, going checking out local fetes in my area and going to dog show (love a dog show!) this weekend.

Dream big!  8)

Offline Top

• Gingerbeer Goddess
Re: Staycation
« Reply #1 on: Jun 13, 2018, 10:22:04 AM »
I think that you need holiday food. I was going to suggest choosing a regional cuisine but thatís a lot of hassle, just look up what Lidlís region of the week is, I think itís Italian here, and go and stock up on that.

Actually, I fibbed there, my casual ĎI think itís italianí is a total lie, I know itís Italian because I bloody love the ĎItalianí onions pickled in balsamic vinegar and look out for them appearing before the other feckers can get their hands on them.
I'm reporting you to the mods for annoying me to the point where I become ill and have to take tranquillisers.  - Wolfie

Offline Musette

• Perfect London Lesbian in Mum Casual
  • Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #2 on: Jun 13, 2018, 12:22:25 PM »
My mum and I had a long-planned trip to Venice on the cards for the autumn but she's now not feeling up to it so we've decided to stay in good old Blighty. The current plan is to spend a few days in Stratford and go to plays/concerts/restaurants, maybe traveling as far afield as Birmingham or Warwick.

Over the summer I'm running a day trip to Brighton and a couple of local events for my autism group.
The kids and I will be going to CenterParcs and other than that we'll do things like visit the BP Award exhibition at the NPG, pootle about the South Bank, go on a fossil hunt on the south coast somewhere, go to an outdoor theatre, have a few bbqs if the weather's ok.
We will also be staying for a few days with friends who live in Bath, which is definitely a mini holiday for us.
NTC and I will be at London Pride and Trans Pride, and we have 4 close family birthdays during August so we're kept busy on that front.

Not sure any of that is what you wanted to Know, Madge. Probably not. But thanks for making me go through my diary and see that I've actually got a quite a busy summer with lots of lovely things to do :) (I just  need to make sure I actually get a rest as well as running around!)
"U r a multifaceted dark horse. Oh yes you are..."

a wise and helpful soul, Musette  ;D

Offline Madge Hooks

• Promoter
  • Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #3 on: Jun 13, 2018, 02:35:16 PM »
I didnít know Lidl did regions of the week, but thatís a cheap and cheerful idea for influencing both food themes and the language in which to insist on speaking badly to shopkeepers.

Thatís a lot of travelling about, Musette, and I feel quite exhausted from reading it. I wasnít planning on leaving London/my borough tbh. ;D The BP Award exhibition sounds interesting and is something Iíve never checked out, so that would tick off Ďdoing something culturalí.

Iím thinking of turning my room into a holiday apartment by getting white bed linen and small white towels, and lightly sprinkling sand about the place.

Offline Top

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #4 on: Jun 13, 2018, 02:44:27 PM »
I'm reporting you to the mods for annoying me to the point where I become ill and have to take tranquillisers.  - Wolfie

Offline Musette

• Perfect London Lesbian in Mum Casual
  • Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #5 on: Jun 13, 2018, 02:48:46 PM »
Indeed, it is rather more traveling than I realised...! But none of it is abroad this year, so it doesn't feel like 'proper' travel.

I love the Portrait Award exhibition and try to go every year. I rarely agree with the judges (although I've seen a pic of this year's winner and I do like it) but it's always interesting.

In addition to small towels and sand, you could also buy some of those tiny bottles of toiletries and a flimsy shower cap.
"U r a multifaceted dark horse. Oh yes you are..."

a wise and helpful soul, Musette  ;D

Offline mint

• Gingerbeer Diva
  • Gingerbeer.co.uk - The Lesbian Guide
« Reply #6 on: Jun 13, 2018, 03:11:09 PM »
I haven't been abroad since 2013 and that realisation makes me sad :/, 5 years, feels like such a long time. Tbh working 7 days a week at the mo even one day off would feel like paradise, I'd say going to a health spa or some kind of health club would feel like a nice holiday at home - where you can get treatments, relax by a pool, and seeing as the weather is good, maybe relax by an outdoor pool. Other ideas are -

going to the beach
going to an outdoor lido!
going to any kind of museum or exhibition
rooftop venues always feel holiday-like to me

I think you can have brilliant holidays in England and Wales, doesn't always involve getting on a plane to have fun, and sometimes there are really good options right under your nose that you've never tried - I know there's tonnes of stuff near here that looks good.

Sealife centres look good too :)