Author Topic: Brexit Plans?  (Read 900 times)

Offline Top

• Gingerbeer Goddess
Brexit Plans?
« on: Jun 13, 2018, 09:20:40 AM »
Iím generally sensible enough about doom and gloom predictions but Brexit worries me. As soon as Iíd picked my chin up off the floor after the result was announced, I took to acquiring passports, Iím up to three now.

My wife became eligible to acquire my nationality a few weeks ago and although English folks have been living in Ireland for the best part of 800 years, often without our full permission, we still splashed out and applied.

Have you made any plans?
I'm reporting you to the mods for annoying me to the point where I become ill and have to take tranquillisers.  - Wolfie

Offline Musette

• Perfect London Lesbian in Mum Casual
  • Gingerbeer Goddess
Re: Brexit Plans?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 13, 2018, 12:31:31 PM »
I discovered recently that my kids' dad could apply for Irish citizenship as his mother was Irish. And the kids could have too if he'd applied before they were born. But he didn't, so they can't.
I think I've got that right - I did look into it for their benefit.

I'm all out of luck though, as far as I can tell.

How do you go about acquiring other passports?
"U r a multifaceted dark horse. Oh yes you are..."

a wise and helpful soul, Musette  ;D

chkdsk /f D:

« Reply #2 on: Jun 13, 2018, 12:47:45 PM »
I think you may be mistaken. I looked at the Irish option for me, when I was looking at a lot of others and I think their rules on citizenship are quite generous and include grandparents. I don't think I have close enough family connections for myself. Scottish independence would be a lifeline for me, if citizenship worked as I recall it does for Ireland.

Offline Top

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #3 on: Jun 13, 2018, 01:03:02 PM »
I discovered recently that my kids' dad could apply for Irish citizenship as his mother was Irish. And the kids could have too if he'd applied before they were born. But he didn't, so they can't.
I think I've got that right - I did look into it for their benefit.

I'm all out of luck though, as far as I can tell.

How do you go about acquiring other passports?

Your kidís dad is automatically and Irish citizen by dint of his mother, he can apply for a passport and has full residential rights.

Your kids can apply for and automatically recieve citizenship but your kids would need to be on the foreign birth register before their children could apply.

I donít think that you have any rights, unless youíre married to him or have an Irish grandparent of your own.

Hereís the into

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/moving_country/irish_citizenship/irish_citizenship_through_birth_or_descent.html

I got the third passport via my grandfather but itís of no practical use, I just like lining them up on the kitchen table, it makes me feel safe.
I'm reporting you to the mods for annoying me to the point where I become ill and have to take tranquillisers.  - Wolfie

Offline Lyco

• Gingerbeer Scene Queen
  • Gingerbeer.co.uk - The Lesbian Guide
« Reply #4 on: Jun 13, 2018, 01:07:24 PM »
*points up*

I was typing out a lovely post to explain this but Top got there first.

(However, bear in mind that the key difference between 'entitle to' and actually automatically being an Irish Citizen is about 1000 euro as that's the cost of the citizenship application process. )

Offline Top

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #5 on: Jun 13, 2018, 01:13:30 PM »
(However, bear in mind that the key difference between 'entitle to' and actually automatically being an Irish Citizen is about 1000 euro as that's the cost of the citizenship application process. )

Isnít that for spouses, not grandchildren? I think it is because my brotherís kids have passports, he was born in London and wouldnít have spent so much.

Offline Wolfgang

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #6 on: Jun 13, 2018, 01:16:59 PM »
My brother thinks "it's no problem because you can just apply for work permits" but I would like a Greek (oh dear) passport.
I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong that transwomen aren't shouting at me to suck their balls. - Hhayt

Offline Top

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #7 on: Jun 13, 2018, 01:34:57 PM »
Work permits are really easy, if youíre a highly skilled migrant, otherwise, not so much.

Offline Rachael

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #8 on: Jun 13, 2018, 02:08:06 PM »
Work permits are really easy, if youíre a highly skilled migrant, otherwise, not so much.

ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

Offline Madge Hooks

• Promoter
  • Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #9 on: Jun 13, 2018, 02:10:41 PM »
Absolute jack all.

While terribly disappointed with the social movement and atmosphere Brexit created, Iím 100% convinced that it will never, ever actually happen. Like ever.

It would have been a bit more pressing if Farage hadíve stuck around, cos it seems to me that what people need is a leader. The disenfranchised would have come down to London frequently in droves to kick up a fuss if Farage wouldíve graced them with a guest appearance on a regular basis. He hasnít, they havenít, itís all melted off a bit.

So weíre stuck with a decision thatís been made that we must democratically honour, but no specific goal, not enough qualified human resource to carry out the (lack of) goal, and big money orgs poised to restructure the hell out of here.

But if we must believe itís going to happen, then I reckon the biggest Brexit plan would be to turn Canary Wharf into a music venue.

Offline Top

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #10 on: Jun 13, 2018, 02:19:45 PM »

ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

My ex has been working in numerous places outside Europe for a while now but for the sort of companies that have departments to deal with that kind of thing. Obviously that isnít the case for everyone, her experience isnít U.K. based and I was being a bit flip.  ;)

Offline Lyco

• Gingerbeer Scene Queen
« Reply #11 on: Jun 13, 2018, 02:39:30 PM »

Isnít that for spouses, not grandchildren? I think it is because my brotherís kids have passports, he was born in London and wouldnít have spent so much.

Actually, you're right, its 200 euro for minors, widow/er, free for refugees and 950 for the rest of us. Although I am still astonished that your brother spent more than 200p.

Offline Top

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #12 on: Jun 13, 2018, 02:46:25 PM »
Just a quick mention of the border, as Iím contractually obliged...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_IrelandĖUnited_Kingdom_border

Offline Musette

• Perfect London Lesbian in Mum Casual
  • Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #13 on: Jun 13, 2018, 03:02:38 PM »
^ that was really interesting actually, Top.

I'll have to check out the details again; I must have gone wrong somewhere...
But anyway I'm not sure what difference it would make. Brexit Britain sounds like a horrible place (it already grows more grim by the day) but I don't know where else I'd go.

I wish I shared your optimism Madge (if it is that). Every day I think, surely it can't happen, surely the powers that be will pull back from the brink. But we are perilously close now and show little sign of slowing down. I really hope you are right though. What do you think will have to happen for them to call it off? Or do you think it will just die a slow agonising death?
"U r a multifaceted dark horse. Oh yes you are..."

a wise and helpful soul, Musette  ;D

Offline mint

• Gingerbeer Diva
« Reply #14 on: Jun 13, 2018, 03:21:41 PM »
I haven't done anything. I think it would be very limiting if I wanted to work abroad :/ - in fact I think it would mean it was totally impossible, whereas before, if I wanted to, I could go and work in Lanzarote or somewhere like that (possibly! not sure on Lanzarote's status within the EU actually, but I mean Spain in general).

I don't think it will go through either.