Author Topic: Women's safety in prisons.  (Read 1830 times)

Offline Blythe

• Isle of Man Debating Champion 1981
  • Gingerbeer Lifer
    • http://www.gaydargirls.co.uk/scripts/ndisplay.asp?userid=rebecca-is-out
Women's safety in prisons.
« on: Jun 03, 2018, 02:35:33 AM »
This article is what I've been waiting for.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5798945/Trans-women-convicted-men-attack-vulnerable-inmates.html

The proof that sexual predators are 'infiltrating', (not my word,
.. the Howard Penal Reform's word),  women's prisons.

Thank you. Thank you,
Freedom of information act and Dr Nicola Williams.
'Someone take Blythe's mobile phone off her before she says something silly'           kitty

Offline Earl

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • Gingerbeer.co.uk - The Lesbian Guide
Re: Women's safety in prisons.
« Reply #1 on: Jun 03, 2018, 03:37:19 AM »
You're 'waiting' for confirmation of something and then you find it in the Daily Mail? That would give me huge pause for thought.
Nye Bevan, 'the NHS will exist for only as long as the people fight for it'...or something like that.

Offline Jules™

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • Llama luxe!
« Reply #2 on: Jun 03, 2018, 10:33:33 AM »
Its the article, not the newspaper that counts.

And don't think the Guardian is any better - I was blocked from comments for saying that men have have XY chromosomes and that can't be changed.

Yes, I saw the article too.

It looks like people are waking up to this madness and starting to name it for what it is.

Which has cheered up my Sunday at least.

Offline Blythe

• Gingerbeer Lifer
« Reply #3 on: Jun 03, 2018, 10:50:45 AM »
You're 'waiting' for confirmation of something and then you find it in the Daily Mail? That would give me huge pause for thought.

I'd love it to be in the Guardian or somewhere else but sadly only the Times, the Telegraph and the Mail are covering the debate in a critical way, by that I mean from both sides.
The Guardian and the Independent really only cover it from the point if view of trans activism.

To think that newspapers and media outlets won't cover a topic because of the accusation of bigotry when adults and childrens safety is at stake is deeply concerning.

If you read the piece., Earl, you'll see that a fairly wide array of organisations have been consulted about what's happening in prisons and they are only now speaking out because of the Freedom of Information request pursued by Fairplay for Women.

The other papers have a duty, I think, to women in prisons to start writing pieces that centre them and not the criminals who they want to prey on in the name of political correctness.

'Someone take Blythe's mobile phone off her before she says something silly'           kitty

Offline Lust for Life

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • deep down, I think I am an optimist ...
« Reply #4 on: Jun 03, 2018, 11:05:11 AM »
^ I think/hope you mean "who want to prey on them" ;)

Offline Earl

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #5 on: Jun 03, 2018, 11:42:28 AM »
Its the article, not the newspaper that counts.
In this country we have right-wing and rabid right-wing newspapers. The former tolerate us, for now. The latter hate us. All LGBT. And women, too.Every article is written with that in mind. Every editor's decision to publish fits that criteria....Hatred & frustration, divide & rule. 

And don't think the Guardian is any better - I was blocked from comments for saying that men have have XY chromosomes and that can't be changed.
The Guardian nose-dived sometime 2014

It looks like people are waking up to this madness...
And 'this madness', a term often used by those who read these rags, just confirms my first 'political correctness gone mad point'/it

Nye Bevan, 'the NHS will exist for only as long as the people fight for it'...or something like that.

Offline Earl

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #6 on: Jun 03, 2018, 11:59:06 AM »

I'd love it to be in the Guardian or somewhere else but sadly only the Times, the Telegraph and the Mail are covering the debate in a critical way, by that I mean from both sides.
The Guardian and the Independent really only cover it from the point if view of trans activism.

To think that newspapers and media outlets won't cover a topic because of the accusation of bigotry when adults and childrens safety is at stake is deeply concerning.

If you read the piece., Earl, you'll see that a fairly wide array of organisations have been consulted about what's happening in prisons and they are only now speaking out because of the Freedom of Information request pursued by Fairplay for Women.

The other papers have a duty, I think, to women in prisons to start writing pieces that centre them and not the criminals who they want to prey on in the name of political correctness.

I'm beyond disappointed that papers that focused on social justice issues rarely do anymore. Corporations/money won out. But pushing back 'political correctness' ie that includes you and I, is what the Daily Mail, do. It's all one agenda to them.

And it's not ours.

Offline Sorted.

• Slutclique Fluffer
  • GB Testers
  • Gingerbeer Devotee
  • Hold your beliefs lightly.
« Reply #7 on: Jun 03, 2018, 12:01:39 PM »
I hate the Daily Mail.  They usually have an agenda.

Except for in 1997 when they broke the Stephen Lawrence case and exposed the murderers. That was some good stuff.

I can’t find an argument against the Freedon of Information act though. 
« Last Edit: Jun 03, 2018, 12:04:16 PM by Sorted. »

Offline Wolfgang

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #8 on: Jun 03, 2018, 02:37:54 PM »
Can we try to maintain a distinction between disingenuous predatory (cis) infiltrators and ingenuous but supposedly delusional transwomen in this thread?  Or doesn't it matter?
I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong that transwomen aren't shouting at me to suck their balls. - Hhayt

Offline mint

• Gingerbeer Diva
« Reply #9 on: Jun 03, 2018, 02:54:20 PM »
I think it's a good article. The numbers are a lot higher than I thought they'd be.

Offline two monkeys

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #10 on: Jun 03, 2018, 03:20:26 PM »
Can we try to maintain a distinction between disingenuous predatory (cis) infiltrators and ingenuous but supposedly delusional transwomen in this thread?  Or doesn't it matter?

No we can't. And neither can anyone else. How would that even be possible??

"She walked in through the out door, out door.."

Offline Wolfgang

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #11 on: Jun 03, 2018, 03:38:44 PM »

No we can't. And neither can anyone else. How would that even be possible??
One is overtly transphobic, the other I sometimes give the benefit of the doubt to.  But I'm not fit for purpose at the moment.  Have at it.
« Last Edit: Jun 03, 2018, 03:40:31 PM by Wolf who used to have the verve for punned usernames »
I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong that transwomen aren't shouting at me to suck their balls. - Hhayt

Offline Blythe

• Gingerbeer Lifer
« Reply #12 on: Jun 03, 2018, 04:04:17 PM »

And that's it in a nutshell.
No-one can tell the difference.

Offline Wolfgang

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #13 on: Jun 03, 2018, 04:36:06 PM »
Nobody can objectively test for gayness but we still accept it as a valid identity.

Offline Betty Croker's frosted buns

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #14 on: Jun 03, 2018, 04:42:48 PM »
Not true. As I said in another thread if you are a male bodied person with a beard who has lived with a boyfriend named Bernard for several years, you would not get accepted in a lesbian football team or a lesbian houseshare. Where there is objective evidence to suggest you are not what you claim you are, you would be challenged on that in terms of lesbian/gay sexuality.
And now I know how Joan of Arc felt.......