Author Topic: Germaine Greer on rape.  (Read 766 times)

Offline Blythe

• Isle of Man Debating Champion 1981
  • Gingerbeer Lifer
    • http://www.gaydargirls.co.uk/scripts/ndisplay.asp?userid=rebecca-is-out
Re: Germaine Greer on rape.
« Reply #15 on: Jun 03, 2018, 04:09:16 PM »
She spent a long time talking about rape in marriage and that often doesn't get talked about.
But I think I will have to read the whole book before I know what she means overall.

Mint, I feel the exact opposite to you about the personal effect of DV compared to rape.  I absolutely respect your experience and I agree that GG shouldnt speak for all of us.  It is very counter productive.

'Someone take Blythe's mobile phone off her before she says something silly'           kitty

Offline mint

• Gingerbeer Diva
  • Gingerbeer.co.uk - The Lesbian Guide
Re: Germaine Greer on rape.
« Reply #16 on: Jun 04, 2018, 10:37:27 AM »
Exactly Blythe and I would never dream of saying to you - or anyone - oh you shouldn't find that difficult, that aspect of it isn't the worst bit, blah blah - because I don't have your experiences, I'd never in a million years dream of telling someone what part of their experiences they should find bad or the worst because we are all totally different and we all react to things in different ways. Different things are worse for different people and that's what gets me about what Germaine Greer has said, she makes no allowance for the fact different people find different things frightening and she is minimising certain aspects of sexual violence essentially saying it isn't that bad. Just because she personally didn't find a certain aspect of it that bad. I think what she's said is crap and it makes me sad to hear it coming from a woman. Something that leaves no sign can leave the biggest marks of all.

I kind of want to read the book in a way.