Author Topic: Lesbian Erasure  (Read 3904 times)

Offline Jules™

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • Llama luxe!
Re: Lesbian Erasure
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2018, 09:54:30 PM »
You know what I can't get over?

The way trans activists closed down Michigan Womyn's Music Festival.

I never went but it was incredibly important to a lot of women.

But because it wasn't about them, they closed it down.

How on earth were they allowed to do that?  And why did anyone support them?

Offline Slantrhyme

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • Gingerbeer.co.uk - The Lesbian Guide
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2018, 11:13:20 PM »
 Because it’s transphobic, and they are the most oppressed people in the history of mankind.
the summer is ended and we are not yet saved

Offline Chewwy

• U16 Doubles Table Tennis Champion 1918
  • Gingerbeer Goddess
  • I'm an okay arsehole.
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2018, 11:25:38 PM »
Havn't seen it at my place. 

We've had special gyno clinics aimed at lesbians, (where only 1 person turned up), free tickets for Flare, WOW festivals (where no-one turned up) and will be holding an exhibition on the women who made the organisation soon. 

As for the LGBT groups which there are many, I have no idea.  But they're all currently overseen by a lesbian, so I doubt it.
Hear me RoaaAAARRRRRrrrrr.......... purrrrRRRR.

Offline PushingThru

• (yep)
  • Gingerbeer Goddess
  • Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2018, 11:28:34 PM »
I wasn't going to post on GB any more but this issue is so important, I'll reverse that decision.

I'm glad you're back :)
No one is obliged to write in ways that appeal to everyone else - we're not paying for the user content. If you don't like it skim past it.

Offline Madge Hooks

• Promoter
  • Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2018, 01:02:07 AM »
Sure, I acknowledge my privilege as a white woman. I also acknowledge my privilege of being built like a brick sh*house. Yet I always fear outing myself to mot du jour gammon. But I’d rather live a lion than die a rat.

As a stand up comedian I’ve performed, as a lesbian, as the only one on the bill, or alongside other lesbians from time to time, up and down the country for the last 8 years. I can say from experience that there has been a marked difference during that time to how my act has been received from total strangers and how I’ve ‘packaged up’ my act to make it accessible mainstream audiences. I’ve seen the shift in other lesbian performers, too. I would say without a doubt it is mostly down to the equal marriage bill, for which we have to be thankful to that utter gobsh*te David Cameron. Tbh I was mostly against the idea of replicating heterosexual marriage and sounded like a right homophobe on paper, but I was wrong. It has made significant social change, not only in inner cities, but in backwater places, too. (Some of this could also be attributed to Sally Wainwright’s screenwriting.)

I’ve also attended L-Fest over a few years, the UK’s biggest lesbian festival, and there is a very strong sense of lesbian arts and culture from all over the UK.

I also work freelance in agencies and as I move around I get bombarded with HR equality bumf and the people I work with, especially those irritants who are a clear decade younger than you and just as good, millennials basically, are totally down with it and I can be my full self as I move from agency to agency and find myself in a new working environment with new people.

What I’ve said above are external factors, and not everything is solved for lesbians, not by a long chalk, but certainly great strides have been made.

Admittedly they’re not faultless, but what I’m seeing here is begrudging the T of the LGBT similar strides. Yes, Stonewall are focussing on trans issues. It would be a bit rude, given the name and umbrella, not to do that. There hasn’t been significant trans focus before.

Offline Betty Croker's frosted buns

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2018, 01:21:49 AM »
I used to go a lot of stand up comedy. I like funnies. I really do. Given a choice in life, I'd be 24-7 in pursuit of the funnies and 0% chasing the politics.

Then I realised around about 2001 that whenever you got a female comedian on stage that she'd get the audience onside by opening with an explanation that she wasn't a lesbian and then got herself a congratulatory round of applause by making a stereotypical joke about lesbians. Or you would get a self described lesbian comedian who ingratiated herself with the audience by mentioning how she also slept with men and that she got flak from the lesbian community for doing that. For which she got a congratulatory round of applause.

I don't know about progress. But I stopped paying money to go and see stand up comedians however well they did on the clapometer because they got their claps by playing to the room and whilst that might make their experience as a comedian easier, it did f*ck all for mine as a lesbian.

I believe the Stonewall Inn, from whom Stonewall took their name was named after Stonewall Jackson. A confederate general protecting the institution of slavery. Would it be rude not to honour him and the defence of African American slavery, given the name and the umbrella?

« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 01:25:35 AM by Betty Croker's frosted buns »
And now I know how Joan of Arc felt.......

Offline Madge Hooks

• Promoter
  • Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2018, 01:26:00 AM »
It’s changed. Significantly.

Offline Blythe

• Isle of Man Debating Champion 1981
  • Gingerbeer Lifer
    • http://www.gaydargirls.co.uk/scripts/ndisplay.asp?userid=rebecca-is-out
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2018, 01:27:11 AM »
Havn't seen it at my place. 

We've had special gyno clinics aimed at lesbians, (where only 1 person turned up), free tickets for Flare, WOW festivals (where no-one turned up) and will be holding an exhibition on the women who made the organisation soon. 

As for the LGBT groups which there are many, I have no idea.  But they're all currently overseen by a lesbian, so I doubt it.

Jeez, chewie

You've well drunk the kool aid if you can't see that the reason no lesbians are rocking up at events is because its all pretend lesbians running the orgs.
If I came out now ..How would I find lesbians and avoid creepy men who say they are.lesbians ??
'Someone take Blythe's mobile phone off her before she says something silly'           kitty

Offline Betty Croker's frosted buns

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2018, 01:29:21 AM »
It’s changed. Significantly.

Our lives are not someone else's joke.

Sometimes the change that is needed is not the crowd pleaser but the truth.
And now I know how Joan of Arc felt.......

Online Marty.

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2018, 01:30:03 AM »
Did you mean Tavistock Blythe?

Offline Blythe

• Isle of Man Debating Champion 1981
  • Gingerbeer Lifer
    • http://www.gaydargirls.co.uk/scripts/ndisplay.asp?userid=rebecca-is-out
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2018, 01:44:36 AM »
Yes Marty, Tavistock.

Madge,
Either you're being deliberately obtuse or we move in entirely different circles because I met 4 people today who were worried or had heard and were therefore perturbed about trans ideology.
That has nothing to do with homosexual ideology, they arent even comparable but TRAs and women like you equate them.

You're a handmaiden.

'Someone take Blythe's mobile phone off her before she says something silly'           kitty

Offline Madge Hooks

• Promoter
  • Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2018, 01:47:40 AM »
Has anyone here heard of or seen Hannah Gadsby’s show ‘Nanette’ earlier this year at Soho theatre?

Is anyone interested in watching Tig Notaro on Netflix?

Offline Madge Hooks

• Promoter
  • Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2018, 01:48:54 AM »
We must move in different circles.

Online Marty.

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2018, 02:24:00 AM »
Yes Marty, Tavistock.

Madge,
Either you're being deliberately obtuse or we move in entirely different circles because I met 4 people today who were worried or had heard and were therefore perturbed about trans ideology.
That has nothing to do with homosexual ideology, they arent even comparable but TRAs and women like you equate them.

You're a handmaiden.

I thought so Blythe.  8)

Offline Jules™

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • Llama luxe!
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2018, 08:33:11 AM »
I wasn't going to post on GB any more but this issue is so important, I'll reverse that decision.

I'm glad you're back :)

Thank you, PushingThru.   :)