Author Topic: Lesbian Erasure  (Read 3902 times)

Offline Blythe

• Isle of Man Debating Champion 1981
  • Gingerbeer Lifer
    • http://www.gaydargirls.co.uk/scripts/ndisplay.asp?userid=rebecca-is-out
Lesbian Erasure
« on: May 23, 2018, 11:23:05 PM »
I went to a meeting hosted by the Lesbian Alliance last night.

Its title was 'Transgenderism and lesbian erasure'.
It was most interesting. There were well over 100 women there. Old and young.
There were various speakers including Linda Bellos talking about changes to the law, speakers talking about how funding for lesbian youth groups is going to trans groups and speakers about issues within the Labour Party.

One thing that was very clear, everyone there  wants to get the L out of organisations such as Stonewall that do nothing to support young lesbians anymore because they are totally focused on the T. 
There were tragic stories from the floor of aggressive pressure being put on young lesbians at university to see themselves as transgender not lesbian. One Oxford student talked about being given only that message.
Later I spoke to someone who had worked at Stonewall who said many lesbians have resigned over the 'transing' of the organisation.

So do you feel LGBT organisations deserve our support anymore?

Do you feel we are being erased? We've certainly lost many physical spaces over the last couple of years ... Are we being erased or is it just what happens to the L.?

'Someone take Blythe's mobile phone off her before she says something silly'           kitty

Offline Plus One

• Gingerbeer Goddess
Re: Lesbian Erasure
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2018, 12:11:50 AM »
We're the only letter that's exclusively female.

I think that sums it up.

Offline Lust for Life

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • deep down, I think I am an optimist ...
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2018, 12:28:39 AM »
I am not sure if campaigning to leave will achieve what you actually want. Ie somebody actually representing the interests of lesbians.

Offline Betty Croker's frosted buns

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • Gingerbeer.co.uk - The Lesbian Guide
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2018, 12:36:02 AM »
Nobody is actually doing that at the moment anyway, though LFL.

Weíre worse off because we have our own so called representatives acting against our interests, receiving funding streams to advance our interests when they arenít and we are also being gagged by LGBT organisations and media who centre only gay men and transwomen.
And now I know how Joan of Arc felt.......

Offline Slantrhyme

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2018, 01:24:49 AM »
get the hell out I say. Nobody is representing us anyway and while the trans are stamping their feet itíll only get worse. I do not wish to be aligned with people who would promote the idea that lesbians can have penises.
 On a related note, Iím a bit torn as to whether I want to go to Pride this year. Is Pride a seperate thing or are these things all related? Plus itís possible that word might have got round that I am a terf now, apparently, and I donít fancy a backlash. I donít know what to do. What thinks ye?     
the summer is ended and we are not yet saved

Offline Madge Hooks

• Promoter
  • Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2018, 01:59:57 AM »
Iíve never felt more lesbian than ever.

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2018, 02:03:20 AM »
Iíve never felt more lesbian than ever.

Why? Because you can now be ďlesbianĒ by having sex with men? Or even by being a man according to some men (non trans) on the kink scene who are self-iding as such.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 10:28:25 AM by Betty Croker's frosted buns »

Offline Madge Hooks

• Promoter
  • Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2018, 02:53:49 AM »
Only last night I was in the chicken shop at 1am and two drunk geezers came bowling in. Barry was paying for the chicken and his mate was laying it thick how Barryís single and a lovely bloke and heíd date him himself if hadnít got a missus. Minimal response from me. Lays it on thicker how Barryís been unlucky in love. I donít do sympathy. I just replied with Ďdonít you think your barking up the wrong tree with me?í Both looked me up and down, realised and Barry was like Ďoh, you bat for the same teamí. Then we discussed Iím a lesbian. Everyone on the same page. No tension. Everything was cool.

I really donít think the same result would have happened 10 years ago. If Iím retrofitting the same incident, I think the response wouldíve been very different.

Offline Plus One

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2018, 03:56:45 AM »
There's no doubt the UK is kinder to lesbians these days - so long as you're white and not overly religious.

Not so great for Muslim, Hindu, and Sikh, Hasidic Jew, Jehovah's Witness, etc, etc, lesbians.  Also GBTs there too of course but it's the women I particularly worry about - I tend to judge every religious group by how tolerable I think my life would be had I been born into one. Mostly I'm horrified.

Do the well known LGBT groups support these women in any way? Or even the men for that matter? Or are they completely ignored?

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2018, 09:45:26 AM »
Itís probably easier to be most things in London and the South East at the moment due to a mix of factors including increased tolerance to technical advancement.

From a Fulham supporter, to a Trotskyite, to a Susan Boyle fan.

Not getting beaten up for something where you would have 15 years ago is not the same as whether as a group, cultural and political factors mean you are being erased.

Offline Slantrhyme

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2018, 10:10:52 AM »
Madge,  iíd say you are very lucky and that that incident is not representative. On the occasions where men have tried to chat me up and I have already told them or been outed as a lesbian their interest only increases. It usually takes the form of ok well in that case youíre an extra challenge to my manly verillity, and/or you owe me every detail about your life as a lesbian, especially what you do in bed with other women, and it normally manifests itself as monopolising my time/invading my personal space, demanding personal information, not taking polite hints to go away and frequently becoming huffy/hostile/straight up abusive when I insist they fuck off and leave me alone. Hell hath no fury like a man rejected.     
the summer is ended and we are not yet saved

Offline Julesô

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • Llama luxe!
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2018, 10:41:25 AM »
I wasn't going to post on GB any more but this issue is so important, I'll reverse that decision.

I think that sums it up.

Yes, that sums it up in a nutshell.

And no, I don't think Stonewall give a **** about lesbians. 

« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 10:43:13 AM by Julesô »

Offline Julesô

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • Llama luxe!
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2018, 10:56:20 AM »
There were tragic stories from the floor of aggressive pressure being put on young lesbians at university to see themselves as transgender not lesbian. One Oxford student talked about being given only that message.

I must be very out of touch with the lives of young people today because I find that hard to imagine.

Coming out in the early '80's might have had its challenges, but if anyone has suggested to a group of lesbians they were really  transgender, they would have been laughed out of the room.

That would still be my reaction today.  I can't understand why anyone takes this nonsense seriously.  If they do, it really is tragic. 

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2018, 10:56:54 AM »
I wasn't going to post on GB any more but this issue is so important, I'll reverse that decision.

I think that sums it up.

Yes, that sums it up in a nutshell.

And no, I don't think Stonewall give a **** about lesbians. 

Stonewall.  I'm pretty sure that all male depiction of LGBT was even there on Lesbian Day of Visibility.  Lesbian erasure at its best.

https://twitter.com/stonewalluk

Offline Blythe

• Isle of Man Debating Champion 1981
  • Gingerbeer Lifer
    • http://www.gaydargirls.co.uk/scripts/ndisplay.asp?userid=rebecca-is-out
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2018, 08:43:45 PM »

I must be very out of touch with the lives of young people today because I find that hard to imagine.

Coming out in the early '80's might have had its challenges, but if anyone has suggested to a group of lesbians they were really  transgender, they would have been laughed out of the room.

That would still be my reaction today.  I can't understand why anyone takes this nonsense seriously.  If they do, it really is tragic.

Things have changed drastically in the last five years. Lgbt youth groups are dominated by trans issues.
The Travistock clinic in London have seen a .massive increase in teenage girls saying they want to transition. They are attracted to other females and would almost certainly just griw up lesbian if the trans issue wasn't he first response they get from social media.
Google gender disphoria or look on yiubtube and see what a young girl will see if they were struggling with their sexuality.
Its a real eye opener.

'Someone take Blythe's mobile phone off her before she says something silly'           kitty