Author Topic: Windrush and Amber Rudd's resignation.  (Read 457 times)

Offline Chewwy

• U16 Doubles Table Tennis Champion 1918
  • Gingerbeer Goddess
  • I'm an okay arsehole.
Windrush and Amber Rudd's resignation.
« on: Apr 30, 2018, 11:28:02 PM »
I'm a bit perplexed over her resignation. 

Lying a bit over whether she did or did not read a memo, seems small fry compared to what's happened re' immigration targets and Windrush.  I thought it was common knowledge that the government had deportation targets, isn't that why they gained power?

I havn't heard first hand of anyone who's family have been inflicted by this, but I'm sure it's massively widespread, and probably put down to beaurocracy at the time (as how would the state have got away with it?), so am looking forwards to meeting up with some older caribbean colleagues later this week for a conflab'.

Do you know anyone who's been affected?

Hear me RoaaAAARRRRRrrrrr.......... purrrrRRRR.

Offline Betty Croker

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • Gingerbeer.co.uk - The Lesbian Guide
Re: Windrush and Amber Rudd's resignation.
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2018, 01:05:47 AM »

Lying a bit over whether she did or did not read a memo, seems small fry compared to what's happened re' immigration targets and Windrush.  I thought it was common knowledge that the government had deportation targets, isn't that why they gained power?

I havn't heard first hand of anyone who's family have been inflicted by this, but I'm sure it's massively widespread, and probably put down to beaurocracy at the time (as how would the state have got away with it?), so am looking forwards to meeting up with some older caribbean colleagues later this week for a conflab'.

I haven't followed the detail of it very closely, Chewwy so can only speak for the impressions I formed over her resignation. I could well be wrong.

I thought she was the buffer between the scandal and the Prime Minister because the latter was the one who really screwed up over Windrush when she was charge of that department before she became PM.

It was imperative to Teresa May that Amber Rudd "stay at the crease and keep batting" because otherwise the questions would be directed at May instead. Whether Rudd was bowled out or threw in the towel to help Teresa May's enemies in the Conservative Party, I can't say. Maybe someone who has watched it in more detail can.

As for how they got away with it, I think its racism - they gambled on no one with any power caring about the people they were deporting in a politically hostile climate that they thought had public backing - combined with the fact that the infrastructure of public bodies has not been functional for the last 10 years. Its extremely difficult to telephone or email or write to a public body and have your message acknowledged and acted upon and those working with the system have just learnt to live with its imperfections. But it allows for a lot of abuse due to the difficulty of holding those bodies to account.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 01:07:43 AM by Betty Croker's frosted buns »
And now I know how Joan of Arc felt.......

[...]

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2018, 01:28:11 AM »
^All that and that due to chronic under investment the easiest targets were chosen. It's a policy that in effect rewards people who are less than straightforward because there aren't the resources to deal with them.

Offline Chewwy

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • I'm an okay arsehole.
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2018, 01:53:38 AM »
It's embarrassing and infuriating, whatever you we look at it.  And the mud slinging over who was in power when decisions were made is obsolete.

It does seem a question of skin colour.  Whilst flicking through breakfast telly channels This morning I heard an angry yet bemused Diane Abbott, refusing to be pinned down on Labour's immigration policy (on both channels) - apparently it hasn't been agreed yet. Then Anne Widdecombe shouting that 'of course it would be the vulnerable minorities who were targeted'. Which made me angry, as she was the only one talking plain sense, and I agreed with her.

Offline Betty Croker

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2018, 02:00:03 AM »
It's embarrassing and infuriating, whatever you we look at it.  And the mud slinging over who was in power when decisions were made is obsolete.

It does seem a question of skin colour.  Whilst flicking through breakfast telly channels This morning I heard an angry yet bemused Diane Abbott, refusing to be pinned down on Labour's immigration policy (on both channels) - apparently it hasn't been agreed yet. Then Anne Widdecombe shouting that 'of course it would be the vulnerable minorities who were targeted'. Which made me angry, as she was the only one talking plain sense, and I agreed with her.

Diane Abbott as shadow Home Secretary refusing to be pinned down on Labour policy because it hasn't been agreed yet. Lol.

Sorry but how long can that "get out clause" be expected to have currency?

And now I know how Joan of Arc felt.......

Offline Chewwy

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • I'm an okay arsehole.
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2018, 04:06:25 AM »
Out of all of them, I actually liked Amber Rudd.

Offline Earl

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2018, 04:45:22 PM »
Chewy, I think you're confusing two separate issues. The Windrush people (and their children) are not immigrants, they're British citizens. Diane Abbott warned that these people would be drawn into this 'hostile' net as early as 2014. The Home Office has received numerous letters of instances of harrassment through to incarceration and deportation since that time, sent by constituent MP's.

As for targets....Introduced by May, Rudd went further, boasting that she would boost these 'figures' by an extra 10%. Then she lied about knowing anything about targets...to a government select committee. Then she repeated this lie.

May should go, too.
Nye Bevan, 'the NHS will exist for only as long as the people fight for it'...or something like that.

Offline Earl

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2018, 04:54:34 PM »
I forgot to say something about targets. Targets are what you have when you have variables that can be objectively measured. They are inappropriate when applied to people's subjective experience. You cannot know who will rock up to an immigration tribunal. Sending away applicants because you've already reached your 20% target is inherently unjust/unfair.
Nye Bevan, 'the NHS will exist for only as long as the people fight for it'...or something like that.

Offline Chewwy

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • I'm an okay arsehole.
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2018, 05:47:33 PM »
Chewy, I think you're confusing two separate issues. The Windrush people (and their children) are not immigrants, they're British citizens. Diane Abbott warned that these people would be drawn into this 'hostile' net as early as 2014. The Home Office has received numerous letters of instances of harrassment through to incarceration and deportation since that time, sent by constituent MP's.

As for targets....Introduced by May, Rudd went further, boasting that she would boost these 'figures' by an extra 10%. Then she lied about knowing anything about targets...to a government select committee. Then she repeated this lie.

May should go, too.

Was I confusing?  I thought i was inviting incite and debate.

But good that you've brought some info' to the table.  The last paragraph's a bit of a mouthful for me, so I'll wait for someone right clever to come along and translate.

Offline Quack

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2018, 07:36:07 PM »
I think Rudd was either misinformed and didn't know what was going on in her own department or she lied. So, I think it was inevitable that she left. And I think it's possible that she fell on her sword to protect May but I don't think we will ever know that for sure.

However, I am worried that her exit from the cabinet will strengthen the hard brexiteers' position.  I'm also worried that if May does go then we will get JRM or Gove or Johnson or Davis as PM.

Offline સરસ

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • To err is human, to moo bovine.
    • http://gaydargirls.com/anti.k
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2018, 08:55:07 PM »

My best buddy at work is from Jamaica, he came to the UK as a nine year old to be united with his Mom and Dad .. He and his siblings all applied in 1993 for their UK passports and got it.  When I spoke to him about this he said he knows a fair few people who have fallen foul of going to Jamaica for various reasons and then could not get back. He also knows first hand of a few people who were sent to detention centres so they can be deported.. This has been going on for quite a while accordingly to him and he was surprised that it came as a "surprise" to the Government and Theresa May because there are lots of MPs who have taken on cases of people that was deported.. or being processed for deportation..

Truth does not depend on a consensus of opinion.

Dear karma, You're not really paying attention so I got a list of people you missed.

Offline kaval69

• Gingerbeer Virgin
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2018, 01:59:00 PM »
I think Rudd was either misinformed and didn't know what was going on in her own department or she lied. So, I think it was inevitable that she left. And I think it's possible that she fell on her sword to protect May but I don't think we will ever know that for sure.

However, I am worried that her exit from the cabinet will strengthen the hard brexiteers' position.  I'm also worried that if May does go then we will get JRM or Gove or Johnson or Davis as PM.

Rudd was neither misinformed, nor unaware of what was going on ineee her nose. She’s the one who inflated the target to 10%, thus getting her battalion to reach outside of the illegal
Immigrants parameter, to reach her target “ambitions” as she referred to later. She not only was wrong in her racist approach, she was dishonest when questionned about it. She had to go, and Maybshohld be next. I can’t stand the sight of her pretending to care and acting all empathetic, when she knew all along, and deliberately snobbed every attempt of Windrush family to plead for help.

Offline Quack

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2018, 03:08:35 PM »

Rudd was neither misinformed, nor unaware of what was going on ineee her nose. She’s the one who inflated the target to 10%, thus getting her battalion to reach outside of the illegal
Immigrants parameter, to reach her target “ambitions” as she referred to later. She not only was wrong in her racist approach, she was dishonest when questionned about it. She had to go, and Maybshohld be next. I can’t stand the sight of her pretending to care and acting all empathetic, when she knew all along, and deliberately snobbed every attempt of Windrush family to plead for help.

And what happens if May leaves?

Offline Lust for Life

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • deep down, I think I am an optimist ...
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2018, 08:13:28 PM »
Well, if history repeats self, Rudd can have May's job ::)