Author Topic: Christmas book that represents same-sex couples  (Read 634 times)

Offline LBQwomenchat

• LGBT Foundation LBQ Women's Programme
  • Gingerbeer Virgin
  • Gingerbeer.co.uk - The Lesbian Guide
Christmas book that represents same-sex couples
« on: Dec 26, 2017, 05:41:35 PM »
https://www.themarysue.com/santas-husband-book/

This children's Christmas book is a story focused around a same-sex male couple!
What would be the story for a same-sex female couple?

Offline plaiting fog

• Gingerbeer Goddess
Re: Christmas book that represents same-sex couples
« Reply #1 on: Feb 05, 2018, 10:55:35 PM »
I have been away for a bit.
You ask a lot of questions, LBQwomenchat but I cant find much about you.
Do you have an allotment?

Offline LBQwomenchat

• Gingerbeer Virgin
« Reply #2 on: Feb 06, 2018, 08:22:21 PM »
Hiya,
LBQWomenChat is a netreach service on the Women's Programme at the LGBT Foundation, for those who identify as women (including trans and non-binary) and as lesbian/bisexual/queer. Our aim is to provide information and advice on sex, sexual health, well-being, relationships and dating but also be a support network and engage in real discussions and promote our events. None of this is for research purposes but to help LBQ communities :)

Offline plaiting fog

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #3 on: Feb 06, 2018, 08:48:47 PM »
I’ll take that as a No....    :)

I have some questions now (to you; the person that replied). What do you do when you are not asking questions on message boards? Have you ever visited an allotment? Viewed them distantly from a train carriage? Did your grandfather have one? What is your favourite vegetable?

Come on, live a little....

Offline hellohowareyoutoday

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #4 on: Feb 06, 2018, 09:55:47 PM »
I'm not at all sure why LBQwomenchat gets such a rude reception on here. I find them to be professional, reasonably non-invasive, and they are clearly trying to provide some service, even if it's slightly misguided, or not really appreciated on here. There might be some women reading their contributions who welcome the offer of someone to talk to.

To me it seems really disrespectful to keep prodding them with different forms of attacks. For example, this allotment malarkey -- I understand it is in jest, but it just adds to the general pattern of being horrible to them. I don't go harass the person behind Coca-Cola's social presence on Twitter for personal details about their shower routine. There is a person behind the words, sure, but it's a person doing a job, and it's not ludicrous to try to uphold some boundaries.

Offline plaiting fog

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #5 on: Feb 06, 2018, 10:52:41 PM »
I didn’t think I was being rude. I saw myself as playfully, and good humouredly, offering an invitation to join us; join in with the chat, that is, as opposed to just doing what is being done. I think seeing the human side of an organisation does much in helping to achieve its aims. Is that not always the way?

As I said, I’ve been away so don’t know about any general pattern. But I would have rather loved getting a one word response of “beetroot”. Or some other vegetable reference, peeping through the questions.

Could have turned into something nice, that....

Still could, of course.

Online Lust for Life

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • deep down, I think I am an optimist ...
« Reply #6 on: Feb 07, 2018, 01:01:46 AM »
It's like they're never off duty. I would have liked someone to talk about allotments or whatever, too. I mean, we all know plaiting fog is only here as a professional allotment owner, but she does talk about other stuff enough to make us think she's a real person ;)

It's just a bit awkward, is all. They are technically a sock puppet (bad), going out of their way not to abuse being a sock puppet (good), which makes it very boring (bad), and they only ask questions and don't answer other people's questions (bad/rude), but making themselves available to people in need (very good). I am sure they are all lovely individuals but all we see is the cardboard cutout of a social worker.

:-\

How about, LBQ team, you ditch the sock puppet and have a sign on each, with a name that is partly LBQ and partly some reflection of who you are? That way, we can still see that you represent your work, but you are allowed to have hobbies and interests without us all assuming that you speak for LBQ if you risk telling us your favourite vegetable, etc. It also means that you could actually only let someone who is into sm post in the dungeon, and only let a woman of colour post in the woc section, etc. And if you don't actually have a woc or woman interested in sm in your team, then don't go in there until you do. I for one would be a lot more relaxed about your posts if they came from a named individual, and no, no one would expect you to put your actual real name on here.

Offline mint

• Gingerbeer Diva
« Reply #7 on: Feb 07, 2018, 08:04:26 PM »
I feel mixed about it because on the one hand they seem like they come from nice people, and the topics are often interesting, but on the other hand it doesn't feel like a 'normal' poster discussion, it seems a bit 'set'. It seems very different to the normal type of poster and posting.

I'm glad for any discussion and a lot of the topics like I said are interesting, but it can sometimes feel a bit impersonal (is that kind of what you're saying Lust for Life?) - which I think is because it's always topics that are started/questions rather than joining in on the other threads (like "what has annoyed you today?" etc).

But I am glad they are here, I just wish it felt a bit different.

It seems like they have good intentions. I can't be mean about them.

I'd like to know a bit more about what netreach is, where it came from, how it all started, is it a new thing? What is the purpose of it, like the aims of it, on an already established message board?

Offline LBQwomenchat

• Gingerbeer Virgin
« Reply #8 on: Feb 08, 2018, 07:59:49 PM »
Hey. I'm Reema from the netreach team on the Women's Programme and first of all I appreciate the feedback and will be discussing with the team on how to change our approach! Also thank you for appreciating our service too, it does mean alot too!

I'll try to answer the questions asked by everyone who has commented on the post.
So Netreach is a fairly new thing in charities, here at the LGBT Foundation it started from the sexual health team reaching out via social media apps such as Grindr, to provide information on safe sex etc.  The women's programme netreach started last summer, so our purpose on the women's programme is to provide advice on multiple of issues via message boards, blogs and social apps. Our is aim to support women through any time of need.

Haha, at the moment it is a small team of two, myself and a volunteer. Of course we have to remain professional but to answer to your question ( I was the one who responded back) my fav vegetable is broccoli and in my spare time i'm a baker and just finished my MA. If the team was big enough, it would be great to have different women messaging and actually contributing to message boards, so i do greatly appreciate the feedback we've been given.

We try not to be a cardboard cutout of a social worker or speak behalf of the LBQ community, our sole purpose is to provide advice and support about sex, health, well-being, dating and relationships. I do apologise if we ever came across as in a bad light, like I have said I will discuss with my line manager about how to change our approach. We do contribute to other threads on our Reddit service, so that its not a bad shout at all.

Online Lust for Life

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • deep down, I think I am an optimist ...
« Reply #9 on: Feb 08, 2018, 10:48:19 PM »
Thanks for this response, Reema, you seem to have totally understood what we were saying. I am really surprised there are only two of you (at the moment ;) - hopefully your team will grow!). I really thought there were, like, six of you, or something!

Like mint said, I also felt bad about saying something bad about people who clearly mean well, but it looks like this might turn out to be a good thing!

I'm doing a masters now, by the way. An MEd in English. My baking attempts have, erm, mixed results and I had a love hate relationship with broccoli, apparently (loved it as a baby, hated it as a young child, now love it again!)

Welcome to GB!

Offline Betty Croker's frosted buns

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #10 on: Feb 09, 2018, 01:07:29 PM »
I think I'll get a line manager to advise on my posting style too  :-X
And now I know how Joan of Arc felt.......

Offline Meryl Streep Fan Club

• GB Testers
  • Gingerbeer Devotee
  • "Details of your incompetence do not interest me."
« Reply #11 on: Feb 09, 2018, 02:46:56 PM »
@ Reema. Do they know you work for them? Perhaps the photographer didn't get the memo?  ;)

http://lgbt.foundation/meet-the-team
You are truly Delightful!

Grow old with me, the best is yet to be.

Made in 1965. All original parts.

Offline LBQwomenchat

• Gingerbeer Virgin
« Reply #12 on: Feb 13, 2018, 06:24:27 PM »
Haha! I'm just a sessional worker at the moment but again I really do appreciate the feedback!

Offline LBQwomenchat

• Gingerbeer Virgin
« Reply #13 on: Feb 13, 2018, 06:30:01 PM »
Thanks for this response, Reema, you seem to have totally understood what we were saying. I am really surprised there are only two of you (at the moment ;) - hopefully your team will grow!). I really thought there were, like, six of you, or something!

Like mint said, I also felt bad about saying something bad about people who clearly mean well, but it looks like this might turn out to be a good thing!

I'm doing a masters now, by the way. An MEd in English. My baking attempts have, erm, mixed results and I had a love hate relationship with broccoli, apparently (loved it as a baby, hated it as a young child, now love it again!)

Welcome to GB!

Thanks again and no need to feel bad at all, we are trying to improve on our services. Also good luck on your MEd and try not to stress out too much! I stressed out so much, that I literally didn't know words existed haha. Thanks for making us feel welcome to GB! :)

Offline LBQwomenchat

• Gingerbeer Virgin
« Reply #14 on: Feb 13, 2018, 06:31:31 PM »
I think I'll get a line manager to advise on my posting style too  :-X

This did make me chuckle a bit, not going to lie!