Author Topic: Getting Checked Out.....  (Read 955 times)

Offline LBQwomenchat

• LGBT Foundation LBQ Women's Programme
  • Gingerbeer Virgin
  • Gingerbeer.co.uk - The Lesbian Guide
Getting Checked Out.....
« on: Nov 09, 2017, 08:58:25 PM »
Hey everyone,

How have your experiences of going to the doctor/sexual health clinic to get checked out for STIs been? Do you go for sexual health check-ups often?

I feel that the staff at clinics could be better trained in lesbian and bisexual women's health - sometimes they assume your sexual partners are male, or do not seem very clued up on sexual health risks for women who have sex with women. What do you think?

Offline Arig

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • Hats, lingerie and heels.
Re: Getting Checked Out.....
« Reply #1 on: Nov 09, 2017, 10:32:09 PM »
 I think forum talk is best when you share your own personal experience instead of simply trying to get others to share theirs to fill up your questionaire.

And why is this question in dungeons, do you have a sexual health issue or question that relates to bdsm? Tell us that first.

Offline pure evil

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • Joyful Misandrist
« Reply #2 on: Nov 09, 2017, 11:37:53 PM »
Arig, I've asked the same thing before with this box ticking emptiness of a 'chat'.

Offline mint

• Gingerbeer Diva
« Reply #3 on: Nov 09, 2017, 11:55:35 PM »
Actually that's a good point and something I hadn't considered - are our answers used for anything? :/

Offline pure evil

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • Joyful Misandrist
« Reply #4 on: Nov 11, 2017, 12:19:45 PM »
^^^ mint I didn't think they were using the answers (hope not!!) but more that their whole approach smells of 'tick box 'A' for engagement'.

Offline mint

• Gingerbeer Diva
« Reply #5 on: Nov 11, 2017, 01:17:20 PM »
I hope not too! I also would like to hear their answers and experience as it would feel a bit more even.

Offline LBQwomenchat

• LGBT Foundation LBQ Women's Programme
  • Gingerbeer Virgin
« Reply #6 on: Nov 21, 2017, 09:20:24 PM »
Hey,

Sorry for the late response, we are actually a charity based in Manchester and it is our mission for recognition of lesbian and bisexual women's sexual health to be as valued as men's sexual health in the community.

Your answers will not be used for any sort of questionnaries at all, not to worry. We would love to hear as to how many women are aware of our community's sexual health and as to how you would want it be improved. We believed the question format will engage into a informal discussion, clearly this was the wrong approach and in the wrong forum (sorry!), so I do apologise for this.

As many have requested, my experience going into a sexual health clinic as a South Asian bisexual woman, I have felt uncomfortable talking to a medical professional about STI's, as many perceive I am heterosexual and fail to ask about my sexuality. Furthermore, this education and risks of our community is not as widely discussed in medical campaigns, which makes me feel excluded from the community, which is not fair.

We also have a vlog from our Confidence movement, which shares the story of Jo and her experiences as a bisexual woman within the NHS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oa-RMc2zF-4&list=PLYETLFE-5hAt297DikKHcMMUqP7ea99dZ&index=10

In addition to our mission of sexual health, we are dedicated to ensure everyone in the BDSM community are practising safe play, as we are also on fetlife.. Again, I do apologise for our mistake but to reassure  everyone your answers are not used on any questionnaire. Our purpose is to merely offer advice and support for Lesbian, Bisexual and Queer women.

Apologies
Reema

Offline pure evil

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • Joyful Misandrist
« Reply #7 on: Dec 05, 2017, 03:49:42 PM »
In addition to our mission of sexual health, we are dedicated to ensure everyone in the BDSM community are practising safe play, as we are also on fetlife.

Hi Reema,
thanks for sharing some of your personal experience - it makes me a lot more likely to engage with the topics when I can see a real person behind the 'official' role.

Could you clarify what you mean in the section I've quoted above? I ask as I'm curious what you mean by 'safe play' and also what expertise you have to offer advice on BDSM.

Offline Arig

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #8 on: Jan 17, 2018, 02:47:31 PM »
I like it when engaging the community seems to mean throwing out vague ideas and no follow up.

Safe play!

Is it rack? It is ssc?  Is it fluid safe? Is it safer sex they are talking about? Doesn't matter! It has the word SAFE in it.

Offline pure evil

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • Joyful Misandrist
« Reply #9 on: Jan 17, 2018, 05:17:20 PM »
I like it when engaging the community seems to mean throwing out vague ideas and no follow up.

Safe play!

Is it rack? It is ssc?  Is it fluid safe? Is it safer sex they are talking about? Doesn't matter! It has the word SAFE in it.

Yah, I was curious as are they actually offering real advice? Are they a resource that new people unsure of BDSM could go to? < as that is a super rare thing in mainstream services.

OR

Alternately is it just a vague wafting of the idea of 'safety' and people are better off going to local munches, meeting up at SM Dykes, or asking questions here or on FL.

Offline Arig

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #10 on: Jan 17, 2018, 05:55:03 PM »
I know I should have faith BUT I expect they are completely bdsm ignorant and are just offering safe sex advice and thought talking to SM'ers would make them sound "outreachy"?

I have no faith.

Newbies probably srill better off speaking to actual bdsm practitioners, going to munched, meeting people AND learning common sense very fast.

The last one is the hardest actually.

Offline millicent

• 'masochistic fembot'
  • GB Testers
  • Gingerbeer Lifer
  • terms and conditions apply
    • Be breast aware.
« Reply #11 on: Jan 17, 2018, 06:55:03 PM »
I think they just posted in the wrong forum.
The original post refers exclusively to sex, no mention of BDSM.
And when they say 'safe play' they probably mean 'safe sex'?

(Tanget: I had an STI check-up once in which the nurse continually referred to my partners as 'clients' after I mentioned the SM context. That was odd.)
'if you take away the cake, the icing is meaningless.'

Offline pure evil

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • Joyful Misandrist
« Reply #12 on: Jan 18, 2018, 12:08:19 AM »
I think they just posted in the wrong forum.
The original post refers exclusively to sex, no mention of BDSM.
And when they say 'safe play' they probably mean 'safe sex'?

(Tanget: I had an STI check-up once in which the nurse continually referred to my partners as 'clients' after I mentioned the SM context. That was odd.)

'In addition to our mission of sexual health, we are dedicated to ensure everyone in the BDSM community are practising safe play, as we are also on fetlife' < huh?

Christ, as for that STI check up  ::) ....imagine how they might have treated some one who said they were a sex worker :/

Offline Lust for Life

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • deep down, I think I am an optimist ...
« Reply #13 on: Jan 18, 2018, 12:51:40 AM »
^ I think Mills has the answer to that one ;)

They clearly thought that was what she was. Sounds like their reaction would have been pretty appropriate if that had been the case. But very weird to make that mistake.

Sorry, I am being a tourist in here. I have deadlines, can you tell?  ::)

Offline Arig

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #14 on: Jan 18, 2018, 05:37:05 PM »

Procrastination is not just a hard core fetish, it's a life style choice.