Author Topic: Getting Checked Out.....  (Read 825 times)

Offline LBQwomenchat

• LGBT Foundation LBQ Women's Programme
  • Gingerbeer Virgin
  • Gingerbeer.co.uk - The Lesbian Guide
Getting Checked Out.....
« on: Nov 09, 2017, 07:26:15 PM »
Hey everyone,

How have your experiences of going to the doctor/sexual health clinic to get checked out for STIs been? Do you go for sexual health check-ups often?

I feel that the staff at clinics could be better trained in lesbian and bisexual women's health - sometimes they assume your sexual partners are male, or do not seem very clued up on sexual health risks for women who have sex with women. What do you think?

Offline mint

• Gingerbeer Diva
Re: Getting Checked Out.....
« Reply #1 on: Nov 09, 2017, 09:56:24 PM »
I go to an LGBT place so they don't make assumptions, but my experiences elsewhere have been pretty bad.

In all honesty I don't like a walk-in system and much prefer appointments. One of the places I went to only had 8 chairs and I had to sit on the floor by a door. Every time someone walked from reception into the waiting area the door swung open and hit me. Sitting on the floor felt kind of demeaning as well. Elsewhere was better when I was put in a side room and I can't praise that place enough for how they treated me.

Near me they now do home kits that you post off.

Offline Lust for Life

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • deep down, I think I am an optimist ...
« Reply #2 on: Nov 23, 2017, 03:26:13 AM »
I've had some dreadful experiences, the worst being in the Netherlands rather than the UK. Though this was not actually STI related. One was a gynaecological physiotherapist who was visibly shocked and embarrassed when I asked if certain sexual activities were safe or not from a pelvic floor point of view. This was the same woman who told me I didn't have the symptoms I had been referred there for (the gynaecologist had written uterus and she didn't know that uterus was the Latin name for a uterus - to be fair, the average Dutch person doesn't know that either, but then the average person hasn't trained as a gynaecological physiotherapist).

Then there was the GP who kept asking how I had got pregnant, 10 years after the event, every time he saw either me or my wife, like when my wife went to get a repeat prescription for hay fever tablets.

But I have to admit, I thought this thread title meant people looking at you in public places because they might be interested in you ;D

Offline mint

• Gingerbeer Diva
« Reply #3 on: Nov 23, 2017, 10:46:57 PM »
I find it sad that so many people have had bad experiences. I really hope things are changing in that respect.

I've had some shit experiences. It's really hard to stand up for yourself when you're feeling anxious, stressed and vulnerable already. Actually turned up somewhere today on a walk in principle and they only had a male nurse. Just, no way. I don't want a man doing that kind of exam. Or asking those kind of questions.

LustforLife if someone works in that area you'd think they wouldn't be embarrassed by questions!

Offline Lust for Life

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #4 on: Nov 24, 2017, 12:23:15 AM »
Well, exactly! She was just absolutely awful.

Offline Slantrhyme

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #5 on: Nov 24, 2017, 02:07:27 PM »
Haha, I thought it was about someone checking you out in public as well, but Iím sure that never happens to me so I have nothing to say on the subject.
 Iíve never had a really bad experience, thankfully. I keep getting asked about contraception though, which I find annoying. Even when I explain that I donít have sex with men they still persist.  I also get the Ďwell how did you get pregnant thení question, which I take to mean I donít believe you. I tell them that I chose to and  itís none of their business. Apart from that, which I class as a minor irritant, theyíve generally been fine, in terms of a not too physically discomfiting way I mean. Maybe Iíve developed a high bullshit threshold.
 Weirdly enough the gynaecological consultation that annoyed me the most wasnít due to the gynaecology or sex related content. The nurse who was doing my smear test was asking me about my blindness; she was blethering on in the usual patronising way that people do, and she suggested that I should become a piano tuner, because my ears are obviously better because my eyes donít work, and a lot of blind people can do that you know. Anyway I digress...
 Which reminds me, Iím due a smear testÖ Marvellous...
 Digressing again, I wonder if there is a way of screening womensí gynaecological health that doesnít involve sticking a metal tube up your flu? Men donít have to undergo such invasive testing. There is the legendary finger up the arse but I donít think I know any men whoíve had that, or at least whoíd admit to having that. They generally prefer not to be poked about in sensitive areas, but they think itís fine for us women to. I expect theyíd stick their finger up our arseholesí if they could find a reason.
 Anyway, sorry for the long rambling post. Iím in a very verbose mood at the moment         
the summer is ended and we are not yet saved

Offline Lust for Life

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #6 on: Nov 24, 2017, 10:48:50 PM »
There is, or at least, they're looking into alternatives!

My last smear test, I was offered the chance of taking part in a randomized study. I had a 50-50 chance of being sent to the gp after all, or being sent a diy test to do at home. I got the home kit, which was slightly different and didn't involve a speculum. I had to put the test stick thing in a Jiffy bag and send it back. I was a bit worried about it going in the post so I got my son's medical student girlfriend to drop it off. Which afterwards felt a bit weird, I probably should have just posted it.

So you never know, maybe in a few years we'll all be able to choose the self test if we want.

Offline mint

• Gingerbeer Diva
« Reply #7 on: Nov 30, 2017, 05:42:57 PM »
Yes, there are the home testing kits or self testing kits. But I'm not sure if they can cover everything.

Offline Lust for Life

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #8 on: Nov 30, 2017, 08:26:19 PM »
^ the one I had worked differently from the gp surgery one. It was testing for something slightly different. The reason for the study was to decide whether it picked up enough to get the right women referred for further testing - the smear test is always meant as an initial screening test. I have no idea how far they are with the results, plus this was done in the Netherlands, and countries work to their own schedule on this kind of thing. So even though they look at international results, they make their own decisions as to whether or not, and when, they change their practices.