Author Topic: Did you have a lesbian/bisexual tween role model?  (Read 499 times)

Offline LBQwomenchat

• LGBT Foundation LBQ Women's Programme
  • Gingerbeer Virgin
  • Gingerbeer.co.uk - The Lesbian Guide
Did you have a lesbian/bisexual tween role model?
« on: Nov 02, 2017, 06:50:47 PM »
Disney has recently made history in tween television by introducing it's first ever gay storyline in sitcom Andi Mack! A positive one at that too, finally showing the exploration and realisation of young sexuality to the tween market.

We want to know who were your tween lesbian and bisexual tween role models. Obviously, we still remain invisible but we want to know who made you confident as a bisexual or lesbian woman?

Reema x

Offline mint

• Gingerbeer Scene Queen
Re: Did you have a lesbian/bisexual tween role model?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 07, 2017, 01:20:21 PM »
I looked up tween and it's 10-14 - I don't think there was any kind of role model or similar at that age. I remember a storyline in Home & Away about Shannon being gay and falling in  love but that was about it.

Offline Meryl Streep Fan Club

• GB Testers
  • Gingerbeer Devotee
  • "Details of your incompetence do not interest me."
« Reply #2 on: Nov 08, 2017, 07:36:05 PM »
At that age I think I was too busy being my own rather naughty role model!  There is only so much a tweenie can take staring at the ABBA Girl arses.
You are truly Delightful!

Grow old with me, the best is yet to be.

Made in 1965. All original parts.

Offline RestlessNative

• Gingerbeer Newbie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 12, 2017, 11:08:16 AM »
My femme flatmate took me to Gap and told me I was a sporty / tween lesbian and pretty much all my clothes will be from there.  Lol - they have nice things.

She then picked out a couple of outfits, and told me what all the categories and everything meant.

I was from a tiny village and knew nothing, barely out. So it was great having someone I could ask anything when l was first entering the scene.

Offline valerie

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #4 on: Nov 13, 2017, 06:38:03 PM »
no. lived in a rural part of NY state 'til mid teens & thought I was the only woman in the world who loved women.
But, a movie with Audrey Hepburn and Shirley McClaine called THE CHILDREN'S HOUR came on TV & I realized this could be a reality but the lesbian  hanged herself.

Yikes! Cannot be with a man; dangerous to be with a woman
      the convent sounds good. I will spend my life
             with women helping others. 6 years
                       later, Anita Bryant,also
                           a Floridian was my
                                catalyst.                     Out of the nunnery!  Out of the proverbial closet!

????????????????????
   ???????????????????

Offline Lust for Life

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • deep down, I think I am an optimist ...
« Reply #5 on: Nov 18, 2017, 07:27:15 AM »
If I understand the question, it's about role models aged 10-14?
Which either means
A. Who were your role models when you were that age?
or
B. Did you have role models who were out when they were that age?

For B, I will have to think hard about that. There was the main character n the book by Deborah Hautziger, Hey, Dollface, there was Rita Mae Brown in Rubyfruit Jungle, the main character in Lisa Alther's Kinflicks... These are all books, not film or tv, and I would have to check how old these characters were when they became aware of their sexuality. Jeanette Winterson's Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit was a bit of a breakthrough!

A is an easier question to answer, but, since I was that age in the early 1980s, (even before Oranges came out) it doesn't make for very positive reading:
1. It was hard to find images of, or know of real live, lesbians or bisexual women at all. When I became aware, at about 13, that I was attracted to girls, I looked, I really looked! But without much success.
2. There was no internet. Occasionally lesbians were mentioned in newspapers or magazines, usually negatively. They were sometimes losing custody of their kids or going to prison or being the cause of someone's marital breakdown.
3. Books were better, but The Well of Loneliness is, of course, as depressing as the title suggests.

(Posted half way to avoid losing a long post)

4. In the absence of female role models, I took gay or bisexual men as my role models. Whatever role models means :-\. I was a Bowie fan, big time, and especially of his work produced a decade earlier, when he was publically bisexual. I read that he and his first wife were both bisexual, so actually, Angie Bowie was my first real live female bisexual role model (you can imagine my surprise and discomfort when I saw the celebrity big brother clips from January 2016....) :-[
5. Desperate to find other people like me, I was delighted to discover the existence of the Lesbian and Gay Youth Movement. I don't remember how I found them, probably a sticker on the back of a toilet door? I know I stuck lots of stickers on doors myself when I joined! They were like the little address labels some people put on the back of envelopes. They had a pen friend scheme, and through that I made contact with real people, but they were mostly a little older. There were very few people my age who had found a) themselves as lesbians or bisexuals and b) the LGYM pen friend scheme.
6. Through my appointed first letter answerer (waves to a lurking Beerie!) I discovered Spare Rib magazine.... Oh! It could be the other way round: maybe I took out a subscription to Spare Rib first, and found LGYM in the small ads... But in any case, from my first LGYM pen friend I learned a lot about where to find "us" in popular culture.

(Edited for several typos in the last paragraph)
« Last Edit: Nov 23, 2017, 08:06:28 AM by Lust for Life »