Author Topic: allotments  (Read 484 times)

Offline avanti

• Gingerbeer Newbie
  • Gingerbeer.co.uk - The Lesbian Guide
allotments
« on: Aug 25, 2017, 04:28:58 PM »
hello all

It's been a while but I seem to remember that there were folk with allotments here in the past - I've just got one after a long 7 years (standard for Edinburgh) and it'd be good to share the pleasure and pain of growing your own! Is anyone interested in discussing the merits of 2nd crop potatoes and the best approach for annual weeds? Even better than the allotment is my new shed which is a source of great pride and pleasure........

Avanti

Offline Lust for Life

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • deep down, I think I am an optimist ...
Re: allotments
« Reply #1 on: Aug 25, 2017, 04:41:34 PM »
I think there's a shed thread somewhere too, but that may not be quite what you meant  :D

Offline avanti

• Gingerbeer Newbie
« Reply #2 on: Aug 25, 2017, 04:45:26 PM »
I think I remember that......and no, not quite what I was thinking!

Offline pure evil

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • Joyful Misandrist
« Reply #3 on: Aug 31, 2017, 10:54:34 PM »
I don't have an allotment, but have a small plot in a community garden. I'm happy to read stuff about plants and planting  :)

Current thing: masses of tomatoes that show no sign of ripening, tho amazingly strawberries are still going.

Offline avanti

• Gingerbeer Newbie
« Reply #4 on: Sep 04, 2017, 08:34:56 PM »
Current thing: weeds everywhere! 

Only got the allotment at the end of June, partner's broken her collarbone and there's triffids taking over! But I had a hard day with a scythe yesterday and progress is being made.....slowly.  Think I need to research what can over-winter and how to defeat the weeds which are seeding everywhere.

I had a community garden raised bed (8x3ft I think) and it was fun to see how much you could grow in a small space. The allotment is huge though and a bit daunting.

Offline Grey

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • old school old butch
« Reply #5 on: Sep 05, 2017, 12:36:52 AM »
I think GBer "plaiting fog" has an allotment
Too bad Duke isn't on here-her updates on harvesting at her allotment and meals were ace

I'm no help I'm afraid
Once I shared an allotment with a friend and I looked after it for one week on my own while she was away and someone from another allotment generously gave me some of her plants and herbs which I had no idea what to do with so left them at my friend's
And when she came home she panicked thinking I'd rifled the wrong one!  ;D

Offline pure evil

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • Joyful Misandrist
« Reply #6 on: Sep 05, 2017, 01:22:59 PM »
avanti, how about some well rotted manure covered with old carpets on areas where you don't want to grow winter crops but need to keep the weeds down?

Offline avanti

• Gingerbeer Newbie
« Reply #7 on: Sep 10, 2017, 08:25:09 PM »
Will try manure, thanks - I keep digging up ancient carpet as I go so would rather avoid that!  I was ok about taking things slowly but the allotment officer seems to think otherwise so anything that's quick cover would be good.  I am enjoying it but it's HARD work for an office worker like me.....I suppose the aching muscles are probably a good thing!

Offline pure evil

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • Joyful Misandrist
« Reply #8 on: Sep 12, 2017, 12:53:20 PM »
I keep digging up ancient carpet as I go so would rather avoid that!

Omg! I'm pretty sure the idea is to leave the carpet down over winter to keep the weeds from coming up! Not to just leave it there.  ;D Good luck with your digging.

I'm wondering what I will find, returning to my garden after two weeks away. At least some weeding could be a good antidote to the work marathon I see ahead.

Offline pure evil

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • Joyful Misandrist
« Reply #9 on: Sep 15, 2017, 01:12:44 PM »
Went and looked at the community plot for the first time in just over two weeks (as I've been away) Tomatoes and Dahlias are rampant, Strawberries are STILL going! Picked one lonesome courgette from amidst a mass of foliage. There is defo need of a big weeding and bedding down for winter. Rumour has it we will still see some late summer sun.