Author Topic: LBQwomenchat: How did you learn about sex and your sexuality?  (Read 463 times)

Offline LBQwomenchat

• LGBT Foundation LBQ Women's Programme
  • Gingerbeer Newbie
  • Gingerbeer.co.uk - The Lesbian Guide
At the LGBT Foundation, we acknowledge there is a lack of sexual education for LBQ women. It shouldn't have to be that way, as a foundation we are trying to improve the awareness of STI's in the LBQ community.

So, how did you learn about sex and your sexuality?

Remember feel free to DM us for any advice.

Reema
x

Offline Lust for Life

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • deep down, I think I am an optimist ...
Re: LBQwomenchat: How did you learn about sex and your sexuality?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 17, 2017, 11:54:50 PM »
From friends at school.

Offline scouser

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #2 on: Aug 27, 2017, 12:57:30 PM »
When a big dyke lunged at me in a Liverpool seedy gay bar!   :D
One day I'll laugh about this!😑

Offline the ganze metsieh

• Gingerbeer Scene Queen
« Reply #3 on: Aug 27, 2017, 02:07:59 PM »
When I was a child and considering my career options, the way children have to when they're asked what will they be when they grow up. I decided I'd be a lesbian some time after I'd given up on becoming a rabbi but was still thinking of also being a Communist. I didn't have a word for lesbian but in the community I grew up in there were no female rabbis either. There were plenty of female Communists, smoking between courses, cracking jokes, dancing provocatively, whistling and generally providing an ideal model that my mother strongly condemned so I knew I was on the right track.

Offline Betty Croker's frosted buns

• Gingerbeer Scene Queen
« Reply #4 on: Aug 27, 2017, 06:11:12 PM »
I had to google "STI".

Are sexually transmitted infections meant to be a big thing in the LBQ community then? Can't say as I've come across them much in the last 3 decades myself but not suggesting I'm in any way typical.

• Gingerbeer Scene Queen
« Reply #5 on: Aug 27, 2017, 06:33:46 PM »
When I was a child and considering my career options, the way children have to when they're asked what will they be when they grow up. I decided I'd be a lesbian some time after I'd given up on becoming a rabbi but was still thinking of also being a Communist. I didn't have a word for lesbian but in the community I grew up in there were no female rabbis either. There were plenty of female Communists, smoking between courses, cracking jokes, dancing provocatively, whistling and generally providing an ideal model that my mother strongly condemned so I knew I was on the right track.

But did any of them ever try to offload a joblot of dental dams on you?

• Gingerbeer Scene Queen
« Reply #6 on: Aug 27, 2017, 07:07:57 PM »
No, but I'm sure if they had, the helpful (but curiously reticent) LGBT Foundation LBQ Women's Programme would have known what to do with them.

I had to google STI too.

Did you somehow miss those transatlantic discussions in the 80s about cling film, food wrap, saran wrap, which ones are permeable, are we talking about the same kind of plastic etc?

(When I posted in this thread I didn't pay much attention to the original question because it's kind of muddled and I was on my phone and couldn't be bothered to untangle it. I don't really know what they want to know, something about lesbian sex, something about infections from lesbian sex, something about sexual identity, something about sexual practice. Any one of these is a separate topic but it's all bunched up together to = lesbians-sex-infections-problem of some sort. )

• Gingerbeer Scene Queen
« Reply #7 on: Aug 27, 2017, 07:34:12 PM »
Did you somehow miss those transatlantic discussions in the 80s about cling film, food wrap, saran wrap, which ones are permeable, are we talking about the same kind of plastic etc?

I miss those, too.

Of course, the dental dam industry was all about a US manufacturer of dental safety products trying to profit from the public health worries around AIDS/HIV and create a new market specifically aimed at lesbian consumers. Cue a generation of lesbians being bored sh*tless by well-meaning "service providers" lecturing us on complacency.

I can see why sexual health is a necessary active intervention with gay men because its kind of one-up in terms of risk level from standard sex education if you start having sex with men but when women start sleeping with women its generally going down a level in terms of risk from the standard sexual education you have already had. Not that lesbians don't have genuine neglected health issues  - depression, alcoholism, obesity/anorexia and breast cancer being the ones I've come across most. I would have said the clap was way down our priority list of things to worry about, personally but what do I know.

• Gingerbeer Scene Queen
« Reply #8 on: Aug 27, 2017, 07:51:42 PM »
I totally agree.

I think there are lesbian health issues related to lesbian economic status, poorer = iller but to get that on an agenda always seems to need us to be richer and healthier (and mouthier.)

Offline Lust for Life

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • deep down, I think I am an optimist ...
« Reply #9 on: Aug 27, 2017, 10:55:21 PM »
Are there any statistics on the ratio of choking incidents as a result of enthusiastic inhalation of cling film to HIV infecties resulting from cunnilingus?

• Gingerbeer Scene Queen
« Reply #10 on: Aug 28, 2017, 12:28:09 AM »
Are there any statistics on the ratio of choking incidents as a result of enthusiastic inhalation of cling film to HIV infecties resulting from cunnilingus?

Cunni-cling-us, you mean?

Offline Grey

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • old school old butch
« Reply #11 on: Aug 28, 2017, 02:55:30 AM »
AIDS council then was focused on the gay men-huge budget almost all the funding went to them-goldfish bowls of condoms and lube in all the bars all free
Women's budget was almost nonexistent-information on any risk we had was almost impossible to find- and any dams and pamphlets we finally got that weren't donated from sympathetic dentist(rare) had to be paid for by the public
Women's clinics were mailing each other supplies that we could scrape together to make sure we had at
least something

Gay men's budgets are still significantly larger
They also managed to forget all the care the women's community gave them during the worst of it all

Offline Xof the Elder

• Gingerbeer Scene Queen
« Reply #12 on: Aug 29, 2017, 09:30:07 PM »
Off Brookside and Ellen.

I thought I'd have to make a cock from papier-mâché- really glad I didn't - for many reasons.
Quizas, quizas, quizas....

Offline LBQwomenchat

• Gingerbeer Newbie
« Reply #13 on: Aug 31, 2017, 06:17:23 PM »
פֿאַרבלאָנדזשעט sounds like you had some amazing and interesting female role models when you were growing up!

Just a heads up everyone, we're online until 20:30 UK time if anyone wants to drop us a message :)

Offline LBQwomenchat

• Gingerbeer Newbie
« Reply #14 on: Aug 31, 2017, 06:38:04 PM »
I had to google "STI".

Are sexually transmitted infections meant to be a big thing in the LBQ community then? Can't say as I've come across them much in the last 3 decades myself but not suggesting I'm in any way typical.

It's widely believed that there's a much lower risk of catching a sexually transmitted infection (or STI) if you're a woman who sleeps with women, and while that's true to an extent, there are still risks involved...

There's a risk of catching STIs whenever bodily fluids are passed between partners, and this includes vaginal fluid, blood (including period blood), and breast milk. So oral sex between women can involve a risk of catching gonorrhoea, chlamydia, herpes or HPV. Similarly, using sex toys without a condom to cover them carries as a risk as this can pass body fluids between partners. Any sexual activity where blood is involved - such as if there are cuts/sores, or if someone is on their period - increases a risk of HIV transmission

None of this means you have to use dental dams or gloves if you don't want to, it's more about understanding the risks involved in the kind of sex you're having, so you can make informed choices about how to protect yourself and when to get tested.  :)