Author Topic: Music which makes you cry (or almost)  (Read 3392 times)

Offline Musette

• Perfect London Lesbian in Mum Casual
  • Gingerbeer Goddess
Re: Music which makes you cry (or almost)
« Reply #45 on: May 09, 2017, 08:45:23 PM »
^ I too can vouch for Many Voices! It's run by two great friends of mine and is a lovely way to sing without the need to be in a regular choir or to perform.
"U r a multifaceted dark horse. Oh yes you are..."

a wise and helpful soul, Musette  ;D

Offline Betty Croker's frosted buns

• Gingerbeer Scene Queen
  • Gingerbeer.co.uk - The Lesbian Guide
« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2017, 12:31:32 AM »
A lot of music can make me cry from opera to punk but this lately because it was re-released a few weeks ago and its about the place I grew up in during the miners strike. Its based on the book "Redhill a Mining Town" which I read first.

I can forgive Bono prancing daftly about in his artificially sweaty vest, his practised stare into the middle distance and the cheesy mining props because he wrote a honest song that he confessed was beyond his then singing ability and which captured the book and the times so well. Its like a hot needle in the heart every time I hear it. (the video unfortunately, is like a hot needle to the eyes - the worst of 1980's style direction).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLvpZwN9Oko
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 01:06:31 AM by Betty Croker's frosted buns »

Offline Medusa

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #47 on: May 11, 2017, 11:15:28 PM »
I really love this thread. I might even come back to it with my pieces.
I like the earlier 'books that...' one, too, but somehow, however moved I am by books, I don't think they have ever made me cry whereas music and singing can. They bring emotion to the surface more readily.
Every day is a bad hair day.

Offline Artist

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • artist of life
« Reply #48 on: May 12, 2017, 12:11:18 AM »
Look forward to your links.
“Expectations are resentments under construction.”
― Anne Lamott

Offline cigarettes and matches

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • But I don't smoke
« Reply #49 on: May 12, 2017, 01:28:39 AM »
Music isn't my hobby, it's my passion.

Offline Musette

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #50 on: May 12, 2017, 04:32:09 PM »
I really love this thread. I might even come back to it with my pieces.

Please do! :)

I like the earlier 'books that...' one, too, but somehow, however moved I am by books, I don't think they have ever made me cry whereas music and singing can. They bring emotion to the surface more readily.

It's interesting, isn't it? I wonder why it is so, but it seems to be true for most people.

Offline Lust for Life

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • deep down, I think I am an optimist ...
« Reply #51 on: May 12, 2017, 10:28:06 PM »
^ I think I cry more at books than music. Books, tv, films, they turn on my waterworks at the drop of a hat.

It could be that I am so unmusical that that's the reason music triggers my tears much less. It's the words that get me more than the music. I remember driving along the M4 in he dark once and crying buckets at 'the dreams in which I'm dying are the best I've ever had' (Mad World, the cover version from about 13 years ago).

I'm not sure if I have ever cried at music without words, even though I know that certain emotions can be triggered by the way the music is - my musical son wrote his school-leaving research project on this and it made perfect sense. I have had happiness triggered by music alone: Carnival de Paris. This was impressive as I had been miserable for months at the time.

Offline Musette

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #52 on: May 13, 2017, 01:14:37 PM »
^ I agree about films and tv, but books, no.
As for Mad World, I can't stand it. But that's what makes it interesting - that we all have such different reactions :)

• Gingerbeer Scene Queen
« Reply #53 on: May 13, 2017, 02:12:33 PM »
I am with you on the Gary Jule's version of Mad World, Lust for Life. I think it's because the Tears for Fears original has the almost upbeat techno going on in the background so the line is almost skirted over and therefore barable. Whereas the slow piano version from Donny Darko leaves no escape for what is a brutally, honest, usually unspoken sentiment.

Context makes up a lot of whether something makes you cry or not. I was totally indifferent to the song "One day I'll fly away" by Randy Crawford. Then on the day I left my Mum's house, the family home realising I was never going to go back again, I got in the car and that was on the radio. Can never listen to it since.

I also get inexplicably teary when I hear La Marseillaise - usually when sung by women or children. That time they found explosives at that French football stadium and the crowd left defiantly singing it made me think just how rubbish our national anthem is and how little comfort we would get from it in a similar situation. All about one person instead of a nation.

The same goes for Nessun Dorma - I think I would be less moved by it if I actually had a clue what the words, other than the title, actually meant.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 02:21:49 PM by Betty Croker's frosted buns »

Offline Lust for Life

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • deep down, I think I am an optimist ...
« Reply #54 on: May 15, 2017, 04:17:36 AM »
Wow, thanks BCfb! Your explanation makes perfect sense to me but I am astonished that I didn't even know that song was from Donnie Darko. I am not sure if that makes me more or less likely to watch it. I think maybe more, but I would have to be feeling really strong to do it.

Not any time soon, in any case. My cry at anything nature is doing something interesting: not crying. I think something devastating may be happening but I am not crying. Maybe if I don't cry it won't happen? Who knows.

• Gingerbeer Scene Queen
« Reply #55 on: May 15, 2017, 01:49:01 PM »
Wow, thanks BCfb! Your explanation makes perfect sense to me but I am astonished that I didn't even know that song was from Donnie Darko. I am not sure if that makes me more or less likely to watch it. I think maybe more, but I would have to be feeling really strong to do it.

Not any time soon, in any case. My cry at anything nature is doing something interesting: not crying. I think something devastating may be happening but I am not crying. Maybe if I don't cry it won't happen? Who knows.

Its a bleak film. I don't regret watching it but I got it as present on DVD and I haven't been tempted to watch it since.

The world is set up for us to disassociate emotionally or form other ultimately harmful defence mechanisms to survive it.

The capacity to cry at certain things but not others doesn't really say much about a person, I find.

I get all f*cked off with people who think that only those who appear gentle and sensitive have value or special value. The reality is that they have usually had the luxury of developing in an environment where gentleness and sensitivity were nurtured and allowed to function. Most people would be gentle and floaty and sensitive if they hadn't been exposed to harsher environments that necessitated other survival strategies.

Offline Artist

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • artist of life
« Reply #56 on: May 29, 2017, 12:23:11 AM »
 :'( :'(
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIcmpEXCW78
Celine Dion - The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face
― Anne Lamott

Offline Artist

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • artist of life
« Reply #57 on: Jun 19, 2017, 01:06:25 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgSieEXLTRc
Adele Love Song Live At The Royal Albert Hall
― Anne Lamott

Offline sarah_m

• Gingerbeer Virgin
  • a design for life
« Reply #58 on: Jun 21, 2017, 01:22:57 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-8MbgMS6jo
Baby Mine- Dumbo

I can sing this too. I don't cry while singing.

I forgot this, I don't know what it does but I've broken down with the simplicity and beauty of the song.
I cried because of the songwriting and singing. It is pure.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FPCF8o2s_w Ian McCulloch- Sliding

this one did it too! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NECoy0ywyY0- Ian McCulloch- Jealous Guy.
« Last Edit: Jun 21, 2017, 01:36:32 AM by sarah_m »

Offline scouser

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #59 on: Jun 21, 2017, 08:45:20 AM »
Jim Reeves,
" He'll have to go!"
(Used to be my dad's song to my mam when they were alive.)
Just the way he used to have a sideways glance at her when it was on; she would get a little coy and put her head down!

Even as an eight year old I knew by this that there was a story behind it!
Miss you mum and dad. X
One day I'll laugh about this!😑