Author Topic: Music which makes you cry (or almost)  (Read 3437 times)

Offline Artist

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • artist of life
Re: Music which makes you cry (or almost)
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2017, 11:02:04 PM »
Encouragement, coaching that is the way forward. I don't like the idea that someone makes someone else believe that they will never be good at something. If they want to try they should be encouraged. I met somebody who was told as a child that she will never be able to write and now she writes books and they are published.

Singing strengthens your voice so I guess it changes with practice.

http://www.lifehack.org/articles/productivity/15-highly-successful-people-who-failed-their-way-success.html
12. Elvis Presley   :o
“You ain’t goin’ nowhere, son. You ought to go back to drivin’ a truck.”
These are the words that greeted Elvis Presley after his first performance at the Grand Ole Opry, after which he was promptly fired. Disposing of the keys to the truck, Presley went on to become the world’s biggest star with a legacy that endures.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 11:17:45 PM by Artist »
“Expectations are resentments under construction.”
― Anne Lamott

Offline Artist

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • artist of life
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2017, 11:12:53 PM »
― Anne Lamott

Offline hellohowareyoutoday

• Gingerbeer Diva
  • Gingerbeer.co.uk - The Lesbian Guide
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2017, 12:23:58 AM »
I liked Musette's story too. I think everyone who loves singing should sing.

I think there's something to be said for working hard at your passion and not giving up on a dream; many, many times I have seen hard work overtake natural talent -  but there's also something to be said for being realistic about goals - e.g. should we encourage a teenager who's terrible at chess and who has had lessons for years to keep dreaming about being the number one player in the world? Maybe they are better suited to being a chef, or maybe they are better suited to being nothing at all, just themselves, y'know?

"Follow your dream" is good advice to an extent and comes from a place of kind intentions, but there are also practical considerations in life: Is it attainable? Is it affordable?

Offline Artist

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • artist of life
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2017, 01:18:49 AM »
I think most of the people are aware that to become famous at anything there is a small percentage of chance.
I understand your point though example was extreme.
At least that boy will enjoy in playing chess rather than not playing it and being criticised and put down.
― Anne Lamott

Offline Lust for Life

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • deep down, I think I am an optimist ...
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2017, 08:49:59 AM »
Fair enough.

Offline Musette

• Perfect London Lesbian in Mum Casual
  • Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2017, 10:54:35 AM »
Thanks everyone who's taken time to read my story. And yes, it's really sad that there are so many people with similar tales to tell.
What we are glibly told as children does stay with us and I totally agree that to be 'officially' told at 11 that you aren't good enough must be crushing.

I am rather evangelistic about singing though, because if I can do it, anyone can. And you don't have to be a 'good' singer. These days there are so many choirs around, some even specifically for people who 'can't' sing. It is so well recognised how good singing is for you that I believe everyone should be encouraged to do it, rather than being put off at a young age. And singing with other people adds so many levels of enjoyment and benefit - join a choir, people! And, as you can see if you've watched the clip of my choir - it doesn't have to be classical or formal. It should be fun and joyful.

But I know my limits :)
My kids tell me I should go on X Factor (and Bake Off and Masterchef etc etc), bless them. But I always tell them that I love singing (and baking etc) but that I'm nowhere near good enough to win a competition or make a career out of it. And that's ok. Just do it for the sheer pleasure of it.

Oh and Earl, no we don't do the Red Flag (yet) but we're always on the look out for ideas ;)

Yesterday my ladychoir* learnt a song about Rosetta Tharpe - I didn't know much about her but what an amazing woman!

* I use the term ironically. My ladychoir is actually called Trade Winds and we are 19 feisty women of a certain age who would laugh uproariously if they knew I referred to them as that ;D
"U r a multifaceted dark horse. Oh yes you are..."

a wise and helpful soul, Musette  ;D

Offline cigarettes and matches

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • But I don't smoke
« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2017, 11:00:53 AM »
I heard a bad out of tune choir last week.     
Music isn't my hobby, it's my passion.

Offline Musette

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2017, 11:11:28 AM »
They do exist, c&m, but if the singers are enjoying it then I'm inclined to say hurrah for them!
Where did you hear them? Had you paid money to listen?

I had a couple of friends come to see Trade Winds perform last year and they told me beforehand that they had to leave at the interval because of another commitment. So I was puzzled when they were still there afterwards. They confessed that they'd only said they had to leave in case we were terrible (that had happened to them before) but that actually we were pretty good, so they stayed ;D ;D ;D

Offline cigarettes and matches

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • But I don't smoke
« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2017, 01:51:03 PM »
It was just a local singing group that a friend sings in and it was free
Music isn't my hobby, it's my passion.

Offline Musette

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2017, 02:10:26 PM »
Well in that case I say good for them :)

Offline Chewwy

• U16 Doubles Table Tennis Champion 2018
  • Gingerbeer Goddess
  • I'm an okay arsehole.
« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2017, 08:05:33 PM »
Thanks Musette, great story. 

I remember my parents spying on me singing along to something as a kid and laughing, so I stopped.  It really does stay with you.  I didn't sing in front of anyone for years, and only will now under the influence of alcohol, quite loudly and a little flat, but it feels amazing.
Hear me RoaaAAARRRRRrrrrr.......... purrrrRRRR.

Offline Musette

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2017, 09:11:12 PM »
Thanks Chewwy. And what you've described is exactly the kind of off-hand comment/reaction that people take to heart, and it's such a shame! I'm glad you give it a go even if you have to be drunk (you're not the only one ;)) and you're right - it does feel amazing :D

Offline purelybyaccident

• Gingerbeer w*nker
  • Gingerbeer Goddess
  • There's still some good mileage left.
« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2017, 03:22:05 PM »
I too like your story, Musette  :)

When I go to church I mostly mime, times when I don't is when a bloke is standing behind me and singing very loudly so I more or less talk my way through.

My mother painstakingly tried to help me sing a German children's Christmas song, I must have been around 5 and I recall being a little confused when she mentioned something about tune, I had no idea what she meant but didn't really care less about it then.

It didn't stop me singing, I did what other kids did, belted it out, but that ended at at some point when I considered it to be sissy.

I also vividly recall how I felt when I was the only one from my class (primary school and all the classes had to audition) that was not accepted into the choir, I had to join the others of the school who too had failed the auditions and do something in the orchestra (if you could call it that), I got to play the Chinese finger cymbals badly.

I cannot sing in tune or even keep my voice at one level, sort of one moment bass the next soprano and all in between, I've tried and tried but I can't change it.

There are many witnesses to my inability to sing and only one opinion, I cannot sing.

I sang along to my daughters nursery songs when they were very tiny and unable to defend themselves, but they are 44 months old and get quite uppy when I do it now, which I've heard is normal for kids but in my case it is perfectly understandable.

I do sing to myself though, that makes me happy  :)

In spite of not being able to do anything musical at all, I adore music, it touches me and I can appreciate other people being able to do it.

Offline Musette

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2017, 05:41:07 PM »
Thanks PBA :)

I'm glad you haven't been put off singing, even if it's just for your own pleasure, or in church (surely it's ok for everyone to sing there -
 regardless of ability?). What you describe though is at least partly improvable through lessons (I'm not suggesting you do that necessarily, but that a lot of the issues people have with singing aren't inability, just inexperience :) )

I agree about appreciating other people being able to do music. I'm an ok singer but I was at a house party on Sunday (with lots of other singing types) and there was a young man (20s?) who was playing the piano. He could do anything - sight read music that was given to him, play songs on request or just make up something on the spot if he didn't know the song, to accompany the singers. His skill and the way he made it look so easy had us all in complete awe.

Offline the ganze metsieh

• Gingerbeer Scene Queen
  • Gingerbeer.co.uk - The Lesbian Guide
« Reply #44 on: May 09, 2017, 07:02:20 PM »
^PBA, what you're describing is being uncertain how to pitch which is something most people in my choir, including me, struggle with. It's that problem at the beginning of a sentence in a song when you're not quite sure of the note and if you get it wrong, it messes up all the rest. It gets easier with practice*.

If it's any encouragement to anyone, I've only been singing with my choir for 3.5 years and originally, I thought I should take lessons but as the course I wanted was cancelled, I decided to just join a community choir.

For anyone in or near London, Many Voices, http://many-voices.co.uk/ is a great place to start. It's a gay choir (straight friendly) that is non performance and meets monthly on the second Saturday of the month. They sometimes have guest leaders. I was there when they had Hannah Rose Tristram (who I think is based in Brighton) and she was amazing, she's incredibly talented as a teacher and as a musician.

(*And btw, I am still having to practice the penultimate line in each verse of Die Gedanken sind Frei because somehow I can't get it right and then can't get the last line right either, and one never knows, I could find myself in Germany in an audience at some music event and everyone will know it and it'd be nice if I did too.)