Author Topic: Which books and films make you cry?  (Read 2396 times)

Offline Musette

• Perfect London Lesbian in Mum Casual
  • Gingerbeer Goddess
Which books and films make you cry?
« on: Apr 26, 2017, 09:26:28 AM »
This thread might crash and burn or simply disappear without trace, but I'm interested to hear about books and films that make people cry.
As mentioned in the What Are You Reading thread, I appear to be immune to books in that respect, but slightly more susceptible to films (although not many).
So, what gets your waterworks going? Have I just not read/seen the tear-jerkers?
"U r a multifaceted dark horse. Oh yes you are..."

a wise and helpful soul, Musette  ;D

Offline Lust for Life

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • deep down, I think I am an optimist ...
Re: Which books and films make you cry?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 26, 2017, 09:40:43 AM »
I cry at most things like that, I even cried when Daphne died in Neighbours. But the film that stands out in my memory because I really hadn't seen it coming was a Disney cartoon. The one set in Hawaii with a blue creature and a girl who listened to Elvis when she was depressed and some Men in Black.

It was when they talked about their broken family. Plus the depression etc.

Eta: it was called Lilo and Stitch. Saw it in the cinema with my kids, and another friend and her son, both of us recently separated single parents of young children.
« Last Edit: Apr 26, 2017, 09:45:24 AM by Lust for Life »

Offline cigarettes and matches

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • But I don't smoke
« Reply #2 on: Apr 26, 2017, 10:02:33 AM »
Books do not make me cry.  I did cry at the end of the very last hunger games. 
Music isn't my hobby, it's my passion.

Offline Betty Croker's frosted buns

• Gingerbeer Scene Queen
  • Gingerbeer.co.uk - The Lesbian Guide
« Reply #3 on: Apr 26, 2017, 10:20:23 AM »
I cry easily at books and films. I cry at clips of football matches  :-[

The girl in the red coat scenes in Schindler's List.

The "Why did I keep my car?" "This pen could have saved another two people" scene at the end, always gets me.

Offline Grey

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • old school old butch
« Reply #4 on: Apr 26, 2017, 02:05:16 PM »
The very first one I remember was a Spencer Tracey /Mickey Rooney film Boystown I think and a dog got run over and my mother had gone to the upstairs neighbor for a minute and came back down to find me sobbing so hard I couldn't tell her why

More lately Hannah Free oh and that scene from If These Walls Could Talk with Vanessa Redgrave where the house is now empty and the baby bird has hatched and hops around the bare floor and flies out the window

Offline Tired, Confused & Duped

• Gingerbeer Virgin
« Reply #5 on: Apr 26, 2017, 03:44:18 PM »
All the relevant bits in any Dickens', even Hard Times with the awful accent. My mother had the full set, inherited from her father who'd got them from a tobacco company which gave them as rewards to good customers. I read a lot when I was about 10 and didn't know they were great literature.

Steinbeck and Paul Gallico, probably from my father in his hot housing efforts and mistrust of state education. In the same vein, the priest's speech in On the Waterfront, https://youtu.be/4XLbRI0kdLg, the ending of Chaplin's City Lights, https://youtu.be/oaMdZl0Y8LM

As a student, the death of Argos, the dog, in Homer's Odyssey. Odysseus returns after 20 years and is recognised by his old and neglected dog which can barely move but they exchange a glance and then the dog dies. Not quite so moving but still very memorable (actually the only bit I remember), the death of Patroclus, Achilles' lover, in the Iliad.

Azalea

« Reply #6 on: Apr 26, 2017, 06:17:32 PM »
I pretty much never cry over a book, I don't know what that says about my powers of imagination  ??? the last one to make me cry was Pigeon English by Stephen Kelman, a novel based on the killing of Damilola Taylor. I'm more susceptible to films but still not much, I think I cried during Moonlight. I cry more over real life documentaries on TV, the recent Mind over Marathon about people with mental health issues training for the London marathon, or any children's/teacher's/nurses awards!

Offline Musette

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #7 on: Apr 26, 2017, 07:54:27 PM »
Oh, I recently cried when watching Britain's Got Talent! NOS likes it and he likes me to watch it with him, so I do.
Anyway it was a choir of people who all have someone in their lives who has gone (and remain) missing. Listening to their stories was hard enough and then they started showing pictures of these people; it was heart-breaking :(

Offline outoforder

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #8 on: Apr 26, 2017, 08:18:41 PM »
Asking for it, Louise O'Neill

The Vegetarian, Hans Kang

Human Acts, Hans Kang (the end before the epilogue - throughout the rest I was appalled.)

Too many to list, I must admit. I do intersperse with science fiction to take a breather from the tears- and guess what happened? Yup, Nod, by Adrian Barnes produced - tears. I don't know what has become of me?

Azalea

« Reply #9 on: Apr 26, 2017, 08:32:36 PM »
I've just read the synopsis of Asking for it. I don't think I could read the book, it sounds really raw and something in me just can't go there. I think it could be a great way for YA audiences to start talking about rape culture though. Han Kang is definitely on my to-read list.

Offline hellohowareyoutoday

• Gingerbeer Diva
« Reply #10 on: Apr 26, 2017, 08:32:41 PM »
Movies with animals in almost always, and very occasionally, a tragic love story if it's done very well.

I don't read books or cry at books.

Offline Chewwy

• U16 Doubles Table Tennis Champion 2018
  • Gingerbeer Goddess
  • I'm an okay arsehole.
« Reply #11 on: Apr 26, 2017, 08:59:05 PM »
Wuthering Heights and Captain Corelli's Mandolin definitely gave me a wobbly lip.

But yeah, if someone says 'watch this, you'll sob your heart out', I generally end up laughing as they're usually overly sentimental crap.  I don't really like Dickens for this reason.  :/
Hear me RoaaAAARRRRRrrrrr.......... purrrrRRRR.

Offline Marty

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #12 on: Apr 26, 2017, 09:25:00 PM »
E.T.
The Champ.

Offline Annabel_Lee

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • Muppet Love.
« Reply #13 on: Apr 26, 2017, 09:44:44 PM »
I'm watching Anne(of Green Gables ) (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/breaking-bad-writer-adapting-anne-854976)
It sticks to the main theme but it's pretty realistic for the time as in life ain't so rosy for an orphan living in the early 1900's. :'(

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: Apr 27, 2017, 09:03:29 AM by Annabel_Lee »

Offline Musette

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #14 on: Apr 26, 2017, 10:26:39 PM »
Oh yes, ET! :o
And The Elephant Man :'(