Author Topic: Election 2017  (Read 6030 times)

Offline Wolfgang

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • Gingerbeer.co.uk - The Lesbian Guide
Re: Election 2017
« Reply #15 on: Apr 19, 2017, 01:08:33 AM »
I will vote Labour this time against Lady Macbeth Theresa Villiers.  I feel very black-and-white about it.

Offline Betty Croker's frosted buns

• Gingerbeer Scene Queen
« Reply #16 on: Apr 19, 2017, 01:10:07 AM »
BCfb, if you live in the same constituency where you've previously voted Labour, notwithstanding the 26k Tory majority, the value of your vote is the same as it always was. What reason is there to vote differently now?

I've previously stood in this constituency in the Milliband era as a Labour councillor. Its never had a Labour councillor before.

Prior to that I l lived in Jeremy Corbyn's constituency 4 or 5 times and voted for him as my MP. Before I moved there I voted Labour in a north-east constituency which is likely to now tip to UKIP because of Jeremy Corbyn's failure to speak to, respect and engage working class northerners.

I will never endorse the bullying that I have seen take place in the Labour movement since he was elected as leader, in any form. I do not believe for one minute, that his leadership either lends itself to the prospect of a future Labour government or is healthy for working class people in this country. So I will not be voting Labour. If there was any chance my vote would influence the outcome of the local or national vote - I would. But very reluctantly.

Offline Tired, Confused & Duped

• Gingerbeer Scene Queen
« Reply #17 on: Apr 19, 2017, 01:46:20 AM »
I understand what you're saying, southern working class voters have no more been engaged than northern ones.

I have no great liking for Corbyn and a lot less for some of his supporters but I still cannot find a good enough reason to vote for any other party. Withholding my useless-anyway-vote seems an empty gesture to me, although I'd agree, continuing to vote Labour when there isn't the faintest hope of success, is not that different.

I'm too sleepy to think about this properly but I wish it was possible to get away from the feel-good variety of politics because aren't they the reason we're in this mess?

• Gingerbeer Scene Queen
« Reply #18 on: Apr 19, 2017, 06:21:51 AM »
It's not an empty gesture to me because I strongly feel that I do not wish to endorse what Corbyn and his supporters have done to Labour. I also resent the idea that we somehow owe them our vote despite them denigrating us at every turn. If it meant the Tories got in because of it, I'd have to vote for them through gritted teeth but 26,000 Tory voters here mean that's not the case.

Offline Trifle

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #19 on: Apr 19, 2017, 12:08:57 PM »
^ I agree with you. However isn't that what those who voted for Corbyn as party leader would have said too? That they couldn't bring themselves to vote for a Labour candidate they felt was turning Labour into a more right wing party than they would like? And they didn't think it was a good enough argument to vote Labour just to keep the Tories out as they thought nothing would ever change if everyone always thought like that. Where does it all end for Labour I wonder.

Offline fetishkitty

• Beware the scary pheremones...
  • Gingerbeer Goddess
  • And.....she's back!
« Reply #20 on: Apr 19, 2017, 03:37:38 PM »
May has called this election because she believes the papers. She believes that she will walk it and in doing so get a mandate for whatever kind of Brexit she pulls out of her @rse next. I hope it blows up in her face, big time.

I hope the electorate is smarter than she or anyone else thinks. I hope that people question the candidates and vote for anti-Brexit ones, whatever their party. There isn't time for a proper coalition to come together (this should have been happening since June 24th last year), but there is the opportunity for the people to speak, loud and clear. Now is the time for everyone who wants to halt this runaway train to oblivion to stand up and shout. Loudly. Show the establishment, once again, that polls, and traditional news media and everyone else has got it wrong. Only this time, instead of it meaning that Trump and Brexit and all the other sh*t wins, let it mean that sense prevails.

Most of all, we need to galvanise the 18-24 vote. This is most assuredly their future in the balance.

It isn't another referendum....but it could be the gateway to another referendum. A legitimate gateway. The Mail et al can't call it 'undemocratic' if it comes after an election where pro-Remain candidates are clearly more successful than pro-Brexit ones.

This is my fervent hope. And I'm going to be banging on about it everywhere and to everyone, in the vain hope that it gets somewhere.

kitty

Offline Tired, Confused & Duped

• Gingerbeer Scene Queen
« Reply #21 on: Apr 19, 2017, 03:39:31 PM »
^^I think if traditional Labour voters don't vote Labour it will be the end of the Labour Party.

I don't think something better is going to rise from the ashes. I think there will be endless crowing from the right wing press and whatever high handed measures May wants to implement will be seen to have received a mandate. We will lose the vocabulary of social justice because we will have no practical examples of it. It will become nothing but a game for academia and the privileged. If Brexit is something shameful to explain to the people who will inherit it, how much worse will be the collapse of the Labour Party?

Offline Xof the Elder

• Gingerbeer Scene Queen
« Reply #22 on: Apr 19, 2017, 09:03:34 PM »
I find Theresa May really repulsive. Not just her politics - but her mouth and expressions - so pompous and smug. Bleurgh - I wouldn't.

Quizas, quizas, quizas....

theonlywayisup

« Reply #23 on: Apr 19, 2017, 10:41:00 PM »
I am not keen on her legs....  :P

Offline Artist

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • artist of life
« Reply #24 on: Apr 19, 2017, 10:52:14 PM »
She changed her mind about election in good time for her and it will work for her.
Her enemy is more divided, more than ever before. She is playing easy chess game - Checkmate.
“Expectations are resentments under construction.”
― Anne Lamott

Offline Xof the Elder

• Gingerbeer Scene Queen
« Reply #25 on: Apr 20, 2017, 12:17:31 PM »
I am not keen on her legs....  :P

I haven't thought about her legs! :D

Offline cigarettes and matches

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • But I don't smoke
« Reply #26 on: Apr 20, 2017, 12:20:20 PM »
She is revolting full stop
« Last Edit: Apr 20, 2017, 12:23:09 PM by cigarettes and matches »
Music isn't my hobby, it's my passion.

• Gingerbeer Scene Queen
« Reply #27 on: Apr 20, 2017, 03:39:10 PM »
Sturgeon would probably win it if we are going on pins alone.

Maybe that's our best hope. Ask for it to be judged on Leader's legs and hope we end up being a satellite state of Scotland.
« Last Edit: Apr 20, 2017, 04:02:03 PM by Betty Croker's frosted buns »

Offline Xof the Elder

• Gingerbeer Scene Queen
« Reply #28 on: Apr 20, 2017, 09:17:21 PM »
Sturgeon? She's well stumpy! Best legs in politics? Wow - that's though

• Gingerbeer Scene Queen
« Reply #29 on: Apr 20, 2017, 09:35:32 PM »
Have you seen the infamous Daily Mail front page on this, Fox?