Author Topic: Election 2017  (Read 6028 times)

Offline Wolfgang

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • Gingerbeer.co.uk - The Lesbian Guide
Re: Election 2017
« Reply #60 on: May 08, 2017, 10:09:01 AM »
https://mobile.twitter.com/TheOnion/status/859437833945194500
Trump Voter Feels Betrayed By President After Reading 800 Pages Of Queer Feminist Theory

Offline Betty Croker's frosted buns

• Gingerbeer Scene Queen
« Reply #61 on: May 08, 2017, 10:34:20 AM »
 :D lol.

Offline Trifle

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #62 on: May 09, 2017, 09:31:53 AM »
;D

The Tories must have been glad to hear that Corbyn is staying leader regardless of the election result.

Offline Wolfgang

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #63 on: May 09, 2017, 09:34:50 AM »
Say what?!!

Offline Wolfgang

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #64 on: May 09, 2017, 09:47:20 AM »
Ohh….

Offline Artist

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • artist of life
« Reply #65 on: May 09, 2017, 01:00:51 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0M91g4OlGEY

Jonathan Pie - Strong & Unstable
“Expectations are resentments under construction.”
― Anne Lamott

• Gingerbeer Scene Queen
« Reply #66 on: May 09, 2017, 11:49:25 PM »
;D

The Tories must have been glad to hear that Corbyn is staying leader regardless of the election result.

Indeed.

It didn't surprise me one bit to hear that. I was reminded by Facebook memories today that before Corbyn even stood for election, I posted on there that it was evident that there had been a big swing to the right and people calling for the Labour Party to respond by moving to the left were simply going to ensure that the next Tory Government had an ever bigger majority and would find it easier to pass more reaching legislation. So all the things that were on the backburner because they might not get them straight through Parliament would sail through once they had a bigger majority - apart from the obvious ongoing benefits cuts it would be swift repeal of the Human Rights Act, decimate the NHS and put a stake through its heart, bring back fox hunting etc.

And that's what will happen unless there is something akin to divine intervention,  I reckon.

I still do not believe that either Corbyn or most of his supporters ever genuinely believed that he could win a General Election. I still believe they just wanted control of the Labour Party so there was something in mainstream politics that reflected their ideological image back at them regardless of whether it was politically effectual and that tragically nullified the only powerbase that could stop or slow the Tory rampage down.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 06:49:44 AM by Betty Croker's frosted buns »

Offline Trifle

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #67 on: May 12, 2017, 09:43:33 AM »
It didn't surprise me much either, Betty.

I haven't spoken to many Corbyn supporters but the ones I have had a perception that lots of people who had lost confidence in Labour before Corbyn arrived will be galvanised to vote for him. When I pointed out some challenges to this idea, for instance thousands turning up at a rally isn't anywhere near enough to change anything, and your points re a swing to the right, they didn't seem aware of those arguments. Anyway, that was a sample of about 5, so I can't draw many conclusions from that. But yes, from what I have observed in the wider context, your explanation re an ideological reflection sounds a pretty plausible idea to me.

• Gingerbeer Scene Queen
« Reply #68 on: May 12, 2017, 11:44:01 AM »
Yes, I've seen arguments on Facebook even yesterday saying "How can people say he is unelectable and yet has won two leadership elections?"

I can't even conceive of the mentality you would need to have to think that being elected by 500,000 highly motivated lefties being shephered by an organisation like Momentum which has unexplained endless resources at its command, with being elected by a country with over 46 million voters who with the exception of Tony Blair and one Tory-led coalition, has voted in the Conservatives at every election in the last 38 years.

Lets do that comparison again :

500,000 people versus 46 million people.

You would have to be Diane Abbott's maths teacher to think this scenario is comparable.

I like the Labour Party manifesto. There is nothing in it I wouldn't personally grab with both hands. Despite my contempt for what Corbynism has done to the Labour Party talent pool I do genuinely hope the British public vote for it.

I wish my beliefs were representative of the rest of the country but time and time again I go to vote and my Tory MP gets over a 20,000 vote majority. That's the reality that Corbyn has not even tried to tackle head on.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 12:04:10 PM by Betty Croker's frosted buns »

Offline Goblin Flump

• I'm so Shiny
  • Gingerbeer Goddess
  • deadpool
« Reply #69 on: May 12, 2017, 12:25:57 PM »
The blood of the covenant is thicker than the water of the womb.

Offline Wolfgang

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #70 on: May 12, 2017, 08:25:24 PM »
The f*cking "galvanisation".

Offline Musette

• Perfect London Lesbian in Mum Casual
  • Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #71 on: May 14, 2017, 10:32:23 AM »
My brother thinks I am verging on Communist and I am the political 'black sheep' of the family.
The other day he said he voted Conservative because he's on the side of 'low taxes and hard work'.
Then on Friday he told me about a minor accident his daughter had and that they had to go to A&E.
He was full of praise for the treatment they received.
I said, "So what you're voting for is for poor people not to have access to that."
Him: "Errr..."
Me: "You think that because someone has less money than you, for whatever reason, they don't deserve that care?"
Him: "Ummmm....."
Me: "Really? What the fvck?!"
Him: "You're right, I'd never thought of it like that."

I have opened his eyes on many issues recently, but this might have been the most significant one.
"U r a multifaceted dark horse. Oh yes you are..."

a wise and helpful soul, Musette  ;D

Offline Sorted.

• Slutclique Fluffer
  • GB Testers
  • Gingerbeer Devotee
  • Hold your beliefs lightly.
« Reply #72 on: May 15, 2017, 07:36:22 PM »
Andrew effing Murray.

It's actual sabotage.

• Gingerbeer Scene Queen
« Reply #73 on: May 15, 2017, 09:27:06 PM »
Andrew effing Murray.

It's actual sabotage.

It won't be far off before they bring out a SIMS style election game based on Corbyn.

"With a General Election only weeks away, with your opponent already 17-20 points ahead, you will announce a Head of Election Strategy who has publically supported North Korea"

Thereby potentially alienating everyone who isn't a member of Kim Jong-un's immediate family, and in fact, even some of them.

You couldn't make it up.

You will also undermine any potential criticism of the neopotism of Donald Trump and Kim Jong-un by having your 25 year old son, Sebastian, employed as Chief of Staff to the Shadow Treasurer. He obviously was just the most experienced person in the entire party for this position. Like Ivanka Trump was.

It is interesting that Corbyn's close friend and supporter Paul Mason recently had his complaint dismissed as unfounded when he moaned about being taped on what turns out to be an ordinary camara phone in a public space, stating that "Jeremy Corbyn does not appeal to Working Class people and has no cultural references to how they live."

This is the man who used his huge media presence to whip up witchhunts for deselection of any candidate who did not visibly support Corbyn, the sort of candidate who did nothing wrong other than question whether Corbyn appealed to working class people, who were crucial to a Labour victory.

And yet I and many, many other lifelong Labour voters have been called a Tory, Red Labour, Blairite etc for making the same statement as he did.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 09:42:34 PM by Betty Croker's frosted buns »

Offline Wolfgang

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #74 on: May 16, 2017, 05:46:04 AM »
https://life.spectator.co.uk/2016/11/greece-word-paul-mason-labour/
"The only people [Corbyn] ever listens to are his sons, Seumas and the old guys he’s known for years."

Which is kind of sweet, sort of.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 05:49:31 AM by Wolfgang »