Author Topic: Gay Bars That Have Closed In London Since The Turn Of The Century  (Read 1209 times)

Offline Musette

• Perfect London Lesbian in Mum Casual
  • Gingerbeer Goddess
Re: Gay Bars That Have Closed In London Since The Turn Of The Century
« Reply #15 on: Jul 11, 2017, 10:40:55 PM »
Like busting out of a cheap Camden corset in the middle of a bar filled with lesbians....

Ah, those were the days, Ms_Nomer ;D
*goes misty-eyed with nostalgia*

I agree about First Out though - lovely place, much missed.
"U r a multifaceted dark horse. Oh yes you are..."

a wise and helpful soul, Musette  ;D

Offline Ms_Nomer

• Gingerbeer Diva
  • I have a terrible idea
« Reply #16 on: Jul 13, 2017, 01:35:59 AM »
:P

Offline Lyco

• Gingerbeer Scene Queen
  • Gingerbeer.co.uk - The Lesbian Guide
« Reply #17 on: Jul 25, 2017, 02:34:07 PM »
That list missed out loads of the ones I first frequented as a little baby Dyke.

The Bull and Pump: somewhere in the East End. The men were camp, the women were frankly terrifying.
The Entertainer: Balls Pond Road. I only went in there once, really nice pub, most notable for the pub sign being the amazing black and white photo of Dusty from her Greatest Hits.
Below Stairs: LLGC, Farringdon. Now that was a club. So much of my formative years were spent there, either pining in a corner or stumbling across the dancefloor or behind the bar.
LLGC: To be frank, its a disgrace it wasn't mentioned. Clubs, bars, all under one roof. (It's also where I first met my wife, nearly 30 years ago, when I tried to bar her. We don't talk about it.)
The Pied Bull (or rather Rackets at the Pied Bull): Angel, Islington. Many a night was spent in that pub, watching lesbian bands, going to 'disco's' and being slightly terrified of all those confident lesbians.
The Bell. I couldn't find it on the list, I'm astonished it isn't there.

Anyway, do I think these spaces are needed? I don't know any more. It's not like I am out frequenting them on a regular basis (ever) and it's not like I was enough of a punter to ever keep anywhere afloat. But mostly I am really glad that I had the opportunity to go to so many places at a time when they were desperately needed as back then, they were literally the only place you could be yourself. I'd be really sad if there weren't any LGBT spaces left.

Which is probably a good enough reminder that we should all make the most of the places we do have.

*rolls up sleeves* I'm off to the Politics threads...

Offline Betty Croker's frosted buns

• Gingerbeer Scene Queen
« Reply #18 on: Jul 25, 2017, 03:46:33 PM »
That list missed out loads of the ones I first frequented as a little baby Dyke.

The Bull and Pump: somewhere in the East End. The men were camp, the women were frankly terrifying.
The Entertainer: Balls Pond Road. I only went in there once, really nice pub, most notable for the pub sign being the amazing black and white photo of Dusty from her Greatest Hits.
Below Stairs: LLGC, Farringdon. Now that was a club. So much of my formative years were spent there, either pining in a corner or stumbling across the dancefloor or behind the bar.
LLGC: To be frank, its a disgrace it wasn't mentioned. Clubs, bars, all under one roof. (It's also where I first met my wife, nearly 30 years ago, when I tried to bar her. We don't talk about it.)
The Pied Bull (or rather Rackets at the Pied Bull): Angel, Islington. Many a night was spent in that pub, watching lesbian bands, going to 'disco's' and being slightly terrified of all those confident lesbians.
The Bell. I couldn't find it on the list, I'm astonished it isn't there.

Anyway, do I think these spaces are needed? I don't know any more. It's not like I am out frequenting them on a regular basis (ever) and it's not like I was enough of a punter to ever keep anywhere afloat. But mostly I am really glad that I had the opportunity to go to so many places at a time when they were desperately needed as back then, they were literally the only place you could be yourself. I'd be really sad if there weren't any LGBT spaces left.

Which is probably a good enough reminder that we should all make the most of the places we do have.

*rolls up sleeves* I'm off to the Politics threads...

I once ended up with a bum like a chewed orange as a result of a pint in the Bull and Pump. So did my then girlfriend who was only on lemonade. Neither of us could walk upright for half a day.

The Duke of Wellington was the one I knew on Balls Pond Road, with Viv Acious, the compare. I remember someone unkindly misnaming her "Atrocious."

The Artful Dodger - I remember it all kicking off and pool balls being thrown at each oher by women with tips and marble-washed jeans.

The Blue Angel, Islington. Looked good. Never anyone in.

Due South, Stoke Newington - my favourite, after-football Sunday roasts, cabaret acts, lots of familiar faces.

Popstars, The Bell, Kings Cross. Not really my thing.

The Black Cap and that cloak room woman who checked your stamp and hated humanity with a passion. She always threw us out when we went for a fag with our coats still left inside because she thought we'd come in via the backstairs and not paid. Which was usually true. To be fair.

Offline Lyco

• Gingerbeer Scene Queen
« Reply #19 on: Jul 25, 2017, 04:14:47 PM »
The Artful Dodger - I remember it all kicking off and pool balls being thrown at each oher by women with tips and marble-washed jeans.

Ah.... The Pool Hall Muffia.

*fond sigh of remembrance*

This btw, is one of the few articles about the LLGC that captures it, warts and all. It's worth a look for the photos and the fashion on it's own.

https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/dpk7xj/london-lesbian-gay-centre-30-years
« Last Edit: Jul 25, 2017, 04:28:16 PM by Lyco »

• Gingerbeer Scene Queen
« Reply #20 on: Jul 25, 2017, 04:47:35 PM »
Good article. Brings back so many memories.

The "unending sick pay", the higher than average salaries. The supplies that went straight into the back of a member of staff's car.

It reminds me of living in Islington in the late 1980's / early 1990's. You could buy keys to council flats. Housing office staff were directly implicated. I had a friend who used to bring half the janitorial supplies from her workplace straight home with her and she was already on about 40k back in the 1990's and worked for a housing charity for ex-offenders including some the most vulnerable. It p*ssed me off to the point where I couldn't get on with her anymore. Taking from the most needy. People used to go on long-term sick leave, three month after starting a job and not be seen for a year. There was nothing wrong with them that a kick up the ar*e with an open-toed sandal couldn't cure. And I would like Ken Livingstonesque big publically funded projects to work - but it still remains to be seen that people take the p*ss out of them / abuse the resources something rotten. Which makes it easy for the Tories to justify shutting them down.

I never got involved with the identity politics of the LLGC. I tended not to go in there because the space was like a community centre, too big and too open. Great for a game of netball. Just not conducive to mingling, given the cosy alternative bars that were available then, if not now.
« Last Edit: Jul 25, 2017, 04:58:15 PM by Betty Croker's frosted buns »

Offline Tired, Confused & Duped

• Gingerbeer Virgin
« Reply #21 on: Jul 25, 2017, 05:06:48 PM »
I liked places that didn't give my leather trouser wearing friends a hard time. I liked The Bell on Sunday, when I was still up from Saturday, and a place at the back of Kings Cross, big rambling place with wooden steps and splintery handrails. Back then, I always seemed to be doing something lesbians wanted to put me right about, I chose my bars accordingly. This stuff I'm typing out briefly on my phone, doesn't get much of an airing but it could be it's not just high rents and equality that have given us the current bar situation.

Offline Chewwy

• U16 Doubles Table Tennis Champion 2018
  • Gingerbeer Goddess
  • I'm an okay arsehole.
« Reply #22 on: Jul 25, 2017, 05:23:32 PM »
Brilliant article.  Love the bits about 'the wrong type of gays'.  :D
Hear me RoaaAAARRRRRrrrrr.......... purrrrRRRR.

• Gingerbeer Scene Queen
« Reply #23 on: Jul 25, 2017, 06:02:07 PM »
There was always a fair bit of entitled belly-aching from people who didn't even identify as gay about their "needs" not being met, though. I'm thinking of 1989 when I had to buy a polling stats book for University that showed over 70% of people were hostile to same-sex relationships at the time. Homophobia, as opposed to other minority issues was a raging problem. And resources were being made available to reflect that single issue. Whether other resources should have been made available for other social problems was another issue.

I'm thinking of a recent example of someone who identified first as a bi-woman and then latterly as a transman who could not seem to manage a single post on Facebook without moaning about "the lesbian community" (her words) not being for her. And I was like "But you're not a lesbian. Why would it be for you? Why would you go to a indie club and moan that they didn't play any country and western music?"
« Last Edit: Jul 25, 2017, 06:04:13 PM by Betty Croker's frosted buns »

Offline Blythe

• Isle of Man Debating Champion 1981
  • Gingerbeer Lifer
    • http://www.gaydargirls.co.uk/scripts/ndisplay.asp?userid=rebecca-is-out
« Reply #24 on: Jul 26, 2017, 01:09:03 PM »
It's not just London, I went in what used to be a good old lesbian pub in Brighton recently, and had to use the loo, this meant having to walk past a row of urinals as their loos are now gender neutral. I made a comment about it offending me, good 'terf'  that I am.

Why should I have to see men urinating or women for that matter? 
It's gross, unhygienic and smelly.
 What about my right to not see a penis when I go to the loo?
As usual the only rights that get overlooked are women's rights.
'Someone take Blythe's mobile phone off her before she says something silly'           kitty

• Gingerbeer Scene Queen
« Reply #25 on: Jul 26, 2017, 03:00:15 PM »
What about my right to not see a penis when I go to the loo?

That would keep me out of bars.

I insist on a knitted toilet roll cover and an unsoiled pedestal mat as a bare minimum before I'll point Patricia at the porcelain.