Author Topic: Research: LGBTQ+ lives and the women's prison  (Read 528 times)

Offline Drabs

• Gingerbeer Newbie
  • Gingerbeer.co.uk - The Lesbian Guide
Research: LGBTQ+ lives and the women's prison
« on: Mar 27, 2017, 09:57:51 PM »
I'm a lecturer and researcher at The Open University (criminology/sociology) working on a new research project exploring the life stories of LGBTQ+ people who have either served a prison sentence or worked as a prison officer in a women's prison in England.

If you have experience of prison as a prisoner or a prison officer and think you might be interested in talking anonymously and confidentially about your life to a researcher, please consider getting in touch.

You can find out more here: www.tinyurl.com/LGBTQ-prisonlives, or contact me directly by emailing abigail.rowe@open.ac.uk.

Offline Lust for Life

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • deep down, I think I am an optimist ...
Re: Research: LGBTQ+ lives and the women's prison
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2017, 07:13:13 AM »
Just bumping this thread because I studied criminology and sociology courses at the OU many moons ago and they were both excellent! (D311 and D315 - Family life and social policy, and What is crime?)

Good luck with your research - will you remember to come back and let us know when it's published? Hopefully we'll still be here....

Offline Drabs

• Gingerbeer Newbie
  • Gingerbeer.co.uk - The Lesbian Guide
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 04:44:26 PM »
Thanks so much for bumping my post!

I'm really glad to hear that you enjoyed your OU courses so much. Both were produced before my time, but I've worked with lots of the authors of those course and agree they were great. We're just in the process of writing a brand new criminology degree so I very much hope it will be as good!

I'll be really glad to come back and post about my research - thanks for your interest. There's a form on my project webpage to sign up for news via a project mailing list, if you'd like to keep in touch with the research (www.tinyurl.com/LGBTQ-prisonlives).

Abi

Offline Lust for Life

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • deep down, I think I am an optimist ...
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2017, 07:40:02 PM »
I had a double set of books for D315 and tentatively offered them to a friend's daughter studying criminology just a couple of years ago. She was delighted as she had heard they were good and of course they are not easy to get hold of. I was pleasantly surprised and very happy to be able to pass them on to her. OU materials are usually of very high quality as they were originally designed to allow access to knowledge to those too far away from a university library. I suppose with Internet and JSTOR etc no one needs access to a physical library at undergrad level in the same way any more, but the OU has a rep to protect ;)

I am sure the new materials will be a great improvement, giants' shoulders are for standing on, not for looking over :)

(Edited for errant apostrophe)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 07:53:55 PM by Lust for Life »