Author Topic: Terrorist Incident near Parliament  (Read 1500 times)

Offline Trifle

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • Gingerbeer.co.uk - The Lesbian Guide
Re: Terrorist Incident near Parliament
« Reply #15 on: Mar 24, 2017, 09:15:23 AM »
Very sad. I keep thinking about those innocent people walking along the bridge perfectly OK one minute and then the next their lives are ruined.  :-\

I'm with Jo Cox's husband in that I wish the press wouldn't splash the picture of the murderer and his name all over the front pages. I'd rather he was forgotten and the names of the brave people who were trying to help stop the terrible situation were publicised instead. That's who I want to think about and remember.

Offline Earl

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #16 on: Mar 24, 2017, 05:33:53 PM »

I'm with Jo Cox's husband in that I wish the press wouldn't splash the picture of the murderer and his name all over the front pages. I'd rather he was forgotten

Totally with you on this. These cowards are looking for infamy. Censoring their names from the media would be a start in addressing that.
Nye Bevan, 'the NHS will exist for only as long as the people fight for it'...or something like that.

Offline Trifle

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #17 on: Mar 25, 2017, 09:47:05 AM »
^ Yes, definitely.

I just wonder when these awful incidents will ever end.  :-\

Offline valerie

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #18 on: Mar 25, 2017, 10:46:48 PM »
Very sad. I keep thinking about those innocent people walking along the bridge perfectly OK one minute and then the next their lives are ruined.  :-\

I'm with Jo Cox's husband in that I wish the press wouldn't splash the picture of the murderer and his name all over the front pages. I'd rather he was forgotten and the names of the brave people who were trying to help stop the terrible situation were publicized instead. That's who I want to think about and remember.
I agree with this all the way. Pictures heroize the  killer.  I wonder who he was texting with? On our news today that was mentioned. This picture was on the internet
????????????????????
   ???????????????????

Offline Trifle

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #19 on: Mar 26, 2017, 02:24:17 PM »
I'm not sure, Valerie. I guess they will be investigating that over the coming weeks. The press is now saying they're using the pictures to appeal to anyone who has more information about the killer.

Offline valerie

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #20 on: Mar 26, 2017, 05:49:00 PM »
I'm not sure, Valerie. I guess they will be investigating that over the coming weeks. The press is now saying they're using the pictures to appeal to anyone who has more information about the killer.
excellent.

We had a nightclub shooting in Cinncinnati, Ohio, a midwestern state . So much anger!!!!     
http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/26/us/ohio-nightclub-shooting
????????????????????
   ???????????????????

Offline Trifle

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #21 on: Mar 27, 2017, 09:05:11 AM »
^ Sounds awful. Living in a country where guns aren't allowed, the stats for gun crime in the U.S are pretty shocking to me. 

Offline valerie

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #22 on: Mar 28, 2017, 01:43:02 PM »
In this country if guns were not allowed at this point, only the bad guys would have 'em. Since Hurricane Andrew in 1992, many women in Florida have hand guns. 25 women were raped in Miami. Can't google it as this was kept out of the news. Word spread through a female Broward County Judge who thought we should all know. That personally helped me after Hurricane Wilma when we had no phone service, trees in the roads, etc., as I had a rather tall, large, man outside my screened Florida room.  He hesitated when he saw my gun. The 4 women staying with me, as we do when these things happen, were quite grateful.

We have much crime for several reasons. One, population. UK,a little over 65 million;USA, a little over 324 million.
Even rats in a crowded cage go crazy.

gun murder is definitely lower in UK even % wise but there is knife murder, etc---still lower.
????????????????????
   ???????????????????

Offline Trifle

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #23 on: Mar 28, 2017, 09:58:48 PM »
In this country if guns were not allowed at this point, only the bad guys would have 'em. Since Hurricane Andrew in 1992, many women in Florida have hand guns. 25 women were raped in Miami. Can't google it as this was kept out of the news. Word spread through a female Broward County Judge who thought we should all know. That personally helped me after Hurricane Wilma when we had no phone service, trees in the roads, etc., as I had a rather tall, large, man outside my screened Florida room.  He hesitated when he saw my gun. The 4 women staying with me, as we do when these things happen, were quite grateful

Ok, I can understand that. I didn't think of it from that perspective before. But then i'm wondering how anything can change, or maybe you don't think it can?

Offline Earl

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #24 on: Mar 30, 2017, 08:41:01 PM »
An article the Guardian pointed out the abso-fecking-lutely obvious....all of these murdering inadequates have a history of beating women. If those who are supposed to protect us looked at these individuals, especially when coupled with any and all 'extremist' views, rather than using their surveillance budgets to target Greanpeace, trade-unionists and the like, we'd all be a good deal safer. Inside the home and out.
Nye Bevan, 'the NHS will exist for only as long as the people fight for it'...or something like that.

Offline Musette

• Perfect London Lesbian in Mum Casual
  • Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #25 on: Mar 31, 2017, 05:29:56 PM »
Interestingly, valerie, although the total USA population is higher, the UK density is much higher.
USA has an average of 85 people per square mile whereas the UK has an average of 694 people per square mile - 8 times as high.

But the murder rate in the UK is way lower than in the US.
In 2013 the US murder rate was 3.9 per 100,000 and in the UK it was 0.9, including knife crime etc.
I don't know what the answer is to this problem in the US. I always hear the argument that if guns were banned only the bad guys would have them, and the only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun, but that doesn't seem to work either. But then we don't know how many would be killed if only the 'bad guys' had them.
"U r a multifaceted dark horse. Oh yes you are..."

a wise and helpful soul, Musette  ;D

Offline Lust for Life

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • deep down, I think I am an optimist ...
« Reply #26 on: Mar 31, 2017, 11:21:43 PM »
I looked up population density and gun deaths too, as the Netherlands and Japan are really densely populated but low on gun related deaths.

I then looked at gun ownership - very high in countries where people hunt, but loads of those countries have low rates of gun related deaths too.

However, I did learn something I didn't know: gun related crime is way higher in some South American countries than in the US.

Offline Musette

• Perfect London Lesbian in Mum Casual
  • Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #27 on: Mar 31, 2017, 11:49:36 PM »
Yes, there doesn't seem to be a simple correlation between population size or density and violent crime.
It seems obvious there would be a correlation between gun ownership and violent crime though, but even that isn't necessarily true.
This is interesting, talking about gun ownership and control in Switzerland: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21379912
"U r a multifaceted dark horse. Oh yes you are..."

a wise and helpful soul, Musette  ;D

Offline Grey

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • old school old butch
« Reply #28 on: Apr 01, 2017, 05:34:15 PM »
The NRA national rifle association used to be a gun club and publication for hunting
Then it was devolved into a white militia by greedy right wing politicians who saw it as a source for huge campaign donations
The NRA was suddenly invited to political panels and allowed to influence laws even on such topics as funding for children's educational television
The "bad guy with a gun" is from the president of the NRA I think it was in response to the Newtown shootings at the elementary school which they went disgustingly silent about for the longest time-the gun used in the tragedy became a huge sellout for that manufacturer because word was that black man in the whitehouse was going to take guns-and some of them believe it never happened and was staged with actors and empty little coffins

Now instead of hunting and dogs and dry boots it's about weaponizing and white rights

Offline valerie

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #29 on: Apr 01, 2017, 08:00:32 PM »
I guess I see it on a perspective involving availability. Alcohol illegal from 1920-33. Marijuana Tax Act of 1937 which effectively banned its use and sales.

both eras had plenty of alcohol and it has always been an easy quest to find marijuana, especially in Florida.

I have over my Smith & Wesson & have no way to defend myself.

We are a violent country and I am not sure why.
????????????????????
   ???????????????????