Author Topic: Terrorist Incident near Parliament  (Read 1415 times)

Offline valerie

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • Gingerbeer.co.uk - The Lesbian Guide
Terrorist Incident near Parliament
« on: Mar 22, 2017, 04:06:23 PM »
We have this on the news now. Hoping that all of you are ok.
Sorry to hear this.
????????????????????
   ???????????????????

Offline Suzi

• Gingerbeer Goddess
Re: Terrorist Incident near Parliament
« Reply #1 on: Mar 22, 2017, 05:22:21 PM »
My girlfriend works next to parliament. Her office has been advised not to leave. I'm very worried.

My thoughts are with all the injured and their families and of course, the lady who died. Sounds like there will be more confirmed fatalities.

So sad.

Offline Betty Croker's frosted buns

• Gingerbeer Scene Queen
« Reply #2 on: Mar 22, 2017, 08:17:56 PM »
Concerned for friends I haven’t heard from. Sad for those who have died including the policeman. Feeling that’s its bringing back all the other times.

Like the nail bomber. Nobody really knew the motive or the link between the bombings at first. Then the ridiculous stupid grin of one of my colleagues at a “work do” announcing with some sort of bizarre glee that, “The news are saying they’ve just nail bombed a gay bar in Soho.” It was before the days of mobile phones and when I got home to my London flat noting that the only family message inquiring whether I was okay was from my Aunt, the only member of my family who supposedly didn’t know I was gay.

Then one day between August and October 2005. Getting a text from a friend in the Met saying, “Be careful. High alert in London today.”

Thinking it didn’t apply to me because I was leaving London to go on a work trip to Oxfordshire. Waiting in a London Train Station at around 7am with very few passengers and several armed police. A large, black woman with a Jamaican accent and loads of overstuffed bags, shuffles past me, “I’m going to the toilet, watch my bags” she says backwards to me as she exits the main hall. I’m thinking “WTF!” I don’t think this woman is a terrorist but I can’t be minding a stranger’s bags in this climate. I feel guilty but I have to move away from them, all the while keeping them in sight in case someone tries to nick them.

The armed police are straight there, prodding them with their rifle butts. “Are these your bags, Madam?” “No, she said she was going to the toilet.” “Which toilet?” At this point, she re-emerges and they give her hell. “Do you have any idea what is happening in this country at this moment in time, Madam? You cannot leave your bags to a stranger”. I feel so guilty. “I left them with her” she complains. I confirm this sheepishly with a nod of the head. Not that I had any choice in the matter. So I over-reacted and I chew myself over it for the rest of the day.

Then on the way back home, the train keeps slowing down and stopping. Slowing down and stopping. Then we get a tannoy. Engine trouble. Pulling in at Aylesbury. I go to the toilet. While I am in  there the train continues to intermittently slow down. I leave the toilet. I am surprised to find that the train is empty. Its standing at the platform. I leave the train. The station appears totally quiet. There is a lone station attendant on the platform. I ask him which platform the next train to London leaves from. He asks me politely to go down to the ticket hall and ask there. I tell him I have a ticket. I’m tired. Its been a long day. Just tell me which platform to go to. “Please go and ask at the ticket hall, Madam.” I sigh. I get to the ticket window and make my enquiry. The man there asks me to exit by the turnstyle. I start to argue and then I turn defeated and frustrated to go through the turnstyle. And then a wave of armed people in uniform are running directly at me, screaming across the turnstyle, “Get on the floor, Get down, Get down, Get down” and I fear I am going to be trampled or shot. I can’t get out of their way. I think about jumping the next barrier. And then they are gone. I can hear them apprehending someone behind me. I leave the station and find crowds of people outside looking bewildered. There are helicopters swopping noisily over the car park. I run and don’t stop.

Hours later I get back to London. I pass the guy on the platform who told me to go to the ticket hall. Instead of his Southern Rail uniform, he’s now wearing a bullet proof vest and carrying a gun. I feel like an idiot. They must have been watching me on CCTV on the platform, saying "Get that mad woman out of there."

Ironically, I’m on the same train home as the guy they detained and pinned to floor. The guy whom they mistook for a terrorist and followed to Aylesbury. The woman opposite me cross-examines him. “You must have done something to make them suspicious.” “I have no idea.” he exclaims, upset and frazzled. “I’d just come from my Mum’s house. They searched me and my bag and at gunpoint. They pinned me to the floor. Then they gave me a carbon copy of a search form and carton of Ribena.” 

I get back to London and I walk barefoot for hours, backwards and forwards across Regents Park. I can’t bring myself to get on public transport. I decide then and there that I can’t live here anymore.

Sorry for the long post. Its all just sparked me and I just needed to get it off my chest.

I hope everyone is safe.
« Last Edit: Mar 22, 2017, 08:24:50 PM by Betty Poppin's carpetbags of fun »

Online cigarettes and matches

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • But I don't smoke
« Reply #3 on: Mar 22, 2017, 09:43:45 PM »
 :( awful
Music isn't my hobby, it's my passion.

Offline animalnitrate

• Gingerbeer Devotee
  • Tawdry force
« Reply #4 on: Mar 22, 2017, 09:58:08 PM »
My girlfriend works next to parliament. Her office has been advised not to leave. I'm very worried.

I assume (?) your girlfriend is home now, and I hope you're feeling a lot easier as a result. :-*

BCfb - I hear you.

I am feeling (irrationally, I realise) slightly weird about going to work (on Parliament St) tomorrow.

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • But I don't smoke
« Reply #5 on: Mar 22, 2017, 10:36:59 PM »
I work  10 minutes walk from Parliament Street

Offline Grey

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • old school old butch
« Reply #6 on: Mar 23, 2017, 12:57:26 AM »
What Val says-been thinking about all of you

Offline valerie

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #7 on: Mar 23, 2017, 07:00:15 AM »
Betty Croker, what a day you had. Sounds like a segment of a James Bond movie. so eerie! How can a stranger leave their bags with someone?  That would have scared the hell out of me.
sad... there's an ugly, evil mist hanging over this globe
????????????????????
   ???????????????????

Offline Betty Croker's frosted buns

• Gingerbeer Scene Queen
« Reply #8 on: Mar 23, 2017, 09:52:19 AM »
Thanks Valerie. I'm grateful that I haven't suffered loss or injury like many have in these incidents.

I guess I am remembering the discomfort of not really know what's going on, how to act, knowing who is who.

Is the overly familiar old lady actually a threat? Is the platform attendant actually an undercover firearms officer?

When the July 7th bombings went off, shortly before this incident, the Radio Stations continued to peddle the lie that there a gas supply problem and that's why the tube stations were closed. Many of us made our way into the danger zones oblivious to the fact that bombs were going off because the Government didn't want to spread panic by revealing what was actually underway. And it's that "never being sure of what's really going on" feeling that I remember the most.

I hope everyone who was worried about someone has had reassuring news.
« Last Edit: Mar 23, 2017, 09:54:05 AM by Betty Croker's frosted buns »

Offline valerie

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #9 on: Mar 23, 2017, 12:40:21 PM »
Just  awakened and will watch the news to see if there are any more developments. To think this happened so close to Scotland Yard.

You must have been so frightened  C & M.

????????????????????
   ???????????????????

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • But I don't smoke
« Reply #10 on: Mar 23, 2017, 01:16:35 PM »
Just  awakened and will watch the news to see if there are any more developments. To think this happened so close to Scotland Yard.

You must have been so frightened  C & M.

No because I have a few days off work and was at home and besides, it happened at a time when I would have been in the office and safe.  I return to work on Monday and by that time things will have calmed down somewhat.

Offline animalnitrate

• Gingerbeer Devotee
  • Tawdry force
« Reply #11 on: Mar 23, 2017, 05:56:00 PM »
Westminster felt really quite weird today. Police cordons everywhere, TV crews, all the flags at half mast, and the relentless drone of helicopters overhead. It was quite eerie. I dare say in another week or so things will be more or less back to normal.

I think commuters this morning were much more gentle than usual, too, although I couldn't swear to it that that wasn't just in my mind. Everyone seemed to be taking it in their stride, certainly, and there seemed to still be plenty of tourists around.

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • But I don't smoke
« Reply #12 on: Mar 23, 2017, 06:16:45 PM »
^ what exactly do you do in Westminster?  are you a Civil Servant?

Offline animalnitrate

• Gingerbeer Devotee
  • Tawdry force
« Reply #13 on: Mar 23, 2017, 07:17:08 PM »

Yep. (Same as you, no?)

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • But I don't smoke
« Reply #14 on: Mar 23, 2017, 07:18:47 PM »

Yep. (Same as you, no?)

Yes but I am in Petty France