Author Topic: Ovarian cancer  (Read 157 times)

Offline Vickilipstick

• Gingerbeer Virgin
  • Gingerbeer.co.uk - The Lesbian Guide
Ovarian cancer
« on: Mar 21, 2017, 02:59:02 AM »
Does anyone know anyone who has had this type of cancer?

Offline fetishkitty

• Beware the scary pheremones...
  • Gingerbeer Goddess
  • And.....she's back!
Re: Ovarian cancer
« Reply #1 on: Mar 21, 2017, 08:23:18 AM »
My Mum had it (and died from it). I'm happy to talk about her experience (and mine) either here or via private message. Did you have any specific questions?

kitty

Offline Marty

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #2 on: Mar 21, 2017, 02:58:00 PM »
Sorry to hear this.

Offline Vickilipstick

• Gingerbeer Virgin
« Reply #3 on: Mar 21, 2017, 04:08:36 PM »
My Mum had it (and died from it). I'm happy to talk about her experience (and mine) either here or via private message. Did you have any specific questions?

kitty

Very sorry to hear that fetishkitty :-(

From what i have read, it is difficult to catch in the early stages and the later stage prognosis isnt good. When was your mums caught? Are they now keeping an eye on you?

I have been referred for the c125 blood test and ultra sound. I just wondered about symptoms really. I have read about them, but it isnt the same as discussing with someone is it. I have been hvg symptoms for about 3 months. Thought it was IBS but it isnt quite the same discomfort. And IBS have never woken me up/kept me awake with pain.

Offline fetishkitty

• Beware the scary pheremones...
  • Gingerbeer Goddess
  • And.....she's back!
« Reply #4 on: Mar 21, 2017, 08:43:25 PM »
Hi

It was quite a long time ago (she died 11 years ago), but I still remember a lot about it.

So, yes, it is very hard to spot in the early stages. My Mum had classic early symptoms (feeling full when she hadn't eaten) and was told by her GP that she should go and drink peppermint tea! They eventually worked out what was going on when she started to build up fluid on her lungs. They tested the fluid and it contained cancer cells. By this point it had spread to her lungs, kidneys and all through her abdomen 'like grass seed' in the words of her Oncologist. She had palliative chemo for two years on and off and by then it was in her brain and there was nothing else they could do. She died peacefully in her own home with very little pain, the one saving grace of the whole experience.

Funny you should ask if they keep an eye on me. I'm currently under the care of the genetics clinic at Guys. My Aunt (my Mum's sister) also had ovarian cancer, although they caught it early when they went in to remove an unrelated cyst. So I have been recommended to have an oophorectomy very soon (probably this year). I'm also being tested for BRCA1 and 2, but as breast cancer is unknown in my family they think it's unlikely.

Hopefully your symptoms will turn out to be something else. My Mum never had pain from the ovarian cancer, but from the secondaries, weirdly. I shall cross my fingers for you.

Not sure any of this was massively helpful, sorry.

kitty

Offline Vickilipstick

• Gingerbeer Virgin
« Reply #5 on: Mar 21, 2017, 11:18:37 PM »
Crikey, your aunt too. I would have thought they would have done every test under the sun for you.
Im very glad to hear your mum wasnt in pain with it. She was clearly a fighter, two years with all of that! And a peaceful end is what we all hope for isnt it.

Thank you for sharing that. I hope it wasnt painful for you. X