Author Topic: RF Stuff & random disclosures!  (Read 646369 times)

Offline merce

• Gingerbeer Goddess
Re: RF Stuff & random disclosures!
« Reply #14445 on: Mar 06, 2017, 06:53:17 AM »
I don't think many kids can exercise self control with screens. Especially that young. Me neither, come to that.  How frustrating! Can you change the wifi password? Frequently? V annoying I know. But we often keep devices hidden when not in use, or under our eye. I also want to try to conuter the cyborgy aspect of it where kids get surgically attached to the device even when off.

Offline nic

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #14446 on: Mar 06, 2017, 10:06:10 PM »
it is so important to control them - mine goes on holiday or the charger goes missing ....

i teach lots of 16+ old boys - brilliant mathematicians who fail their course instead of getting A^ because they so dependent on the computer - the problem is the cleverer they are the more likely they are to crack a level and move on - every cracking of level makes them even more dependent - less mathematically interested students get frustrated and give up - parents call me in despair about their kids and that they are in a terrible mood when the computer is gone - i am working with our councilor to set up sessions to get students off their addiction

Offline Amphelise

• Gingerbeer Goddess
    • Christine, Wondering
« Reply #14447 on: Mar 06, 2017, 10:21:50 PM »
Merce, it's not the wifi (the game he was using doesn't even need it), it's the tablet himself. But it's all locked down now.

He's been brilliant about self-control until this most recent game came along, and I can't even be too mad - the bit he's obsessed with is actually a programming module, where he can design, play and share levels of his own. I want him to program computers! Just not at 6am  ;D
"Well, at least I'm not a time-traveling, shape-shifting robot operated by miniaturized cross people. Which I've got to admit, I didn't see coming." ~ The Doctor

Offline nic

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #14448 on: Mar 07, 2017, 10:36:45 PM »
are there any kids programming clubs near you?

he sounds fantastic - i am very fond of my computer science students - brilliant group and always so good with any problem solving

Offline animalnitrate

• Gingerbeer Devotee
  • Tawdry force
« Reply #14449 on: Mar 11, 2017, 07:22:27 AM »
Do you already know about this initiative, amphelise? https://www.codeclub.org.uk

(Probably yes you do, and you likely have a much more informed viewpoint than I do about whether it is actually any good in practice!)

Offline Amphelise

• Gingerbeer Goddess
    • Christine, Wondering
« Reply #14450 on: Mar 11, 2017, 09:56:05 PM »
Nic, he is fab - so bright! Smart & articulate enough that we sometimes forget how little he still is.

My mum & stepdad are both computer scientists, and I wish they lived close enough to teach him!

Do you already know about this initiative, amphelise? https://www.codeclub.org.uk

(Probably yes you do, and you likely have a much more informed viewpoint than I do about whether it is actually any good in practice!)

I didn't actually! Unfortunately his school doesn't run one and the local public one is full. I'll keep an eye on it though & see if a place comes up.
"Well, at least I'm not a time-traveling, shape-shifting robot operated by miniaturized cross people. Which I've got to admit, I didn't see coming." ~ The Doctor

Offline nic

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #14451 on: Mar 12, 2017, 12:37:03 PM »
get in toich with them they might be able to sort his school out - my students help out in the local schools running these - it always makes me smile when i see this big and small computer fans getting on about stuff - they have such a lovely way of learning together