Author Topic: You know you're getting old when ......  (Read 2227 times)

Offline Marty

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • Gingerbeer.co.uk - The Lesbian Guide
Re: You know you're getting old when ......
« Reply #75 on: Mar 08, 2017, 06:40:40 PM »
There is one on iplayer called Leadership Reflections which was shown on tv on 12th February.

Offline cigarettes and matches

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • But I don't smoke
« Reply #76 on: Mar 09, 2017, 04:41:17 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHZrq7ngtEA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vp1TX1BXJ4A

You can remember Pans People, the very first Top of the Pops dancers

I thought they were wonderful  ::)

Here they are today.   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xdEjoo1pgk

I owe a special thanks to someone who enabled me to turn my dream into a reality

Offline outoforder

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #77 on: Mar 10, 2017, 10:16:29 PM »
Ha!! Cheeky bugger!
Let you know when the wheels are about to fall off?
I'm more long distance-still got some good mileage to go  ;)

and funny thing-this morning I found a scrap from a journal from ten years ago
I quoted Jane Rule who said "in aid of one ailment you alarm another"
Because in your 50's you can't mess about with your health anymore
So I'm in better shape now than I was then

Oh dear Grey, you should know even I'm not that cheeky-I was referring to myself.  ;D

Offline Alice@4

• Gingerbeer Newbie
« Reply #78 on: Mar 11, 2017, 12:13:04 AM »
When you click through a catalogue of goodies, but checking out the walking frames, not the clothes...

Offline Grey

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • old school old butch
« Reply #79 on: Mar 11, 2017, 12:17:35 AM »
Ha!! Cheeky bugger!
Let you know when the wheels are about to fall off?
I'm more long distance-still got some good mileage to go  ;)

and funny thing-this morning I found a scrap from a journal from ten years ago
I quoted Jane Rule who said "in aid of one ailment you alarm another"
Because in your 50's you can't mess about with your health anymore
So I'm in better shape now than I was then

Oh dear Grey, you should know even I'm not that cheeky-I was referring to myself.  ;D

oops!  :-[
*pinches your cheeks*   ;)
You?! You're barely hatched!  ;D

Offline Musette

• Perfect London Lesbian in Mum Casual
  • Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #80 on: Mar 18, 2017, 11:23:13 AM »
I don't know if this is old age, but....
Yesterday I went to the big Sainsbury's to do my weekly shop. It is one of the biggest stores in the country with many, many aisles coming off a large central aisle (I'm already making excuses for myself...).

I wanted to look at the display of mini Easter eggs so I 'parked' my trolley to one side. It had a few things in it, and my stash of reusable bags.
After I'd chosen my eggs I grabbed my trolley again and went to the other end of the shop to pick up some juice. Again I 'parked' my trolley to one side and chose a couple of cartons. Went back to my trolley, but of course, it wasn't my trolley at all. It had someone else's shopping in it, and, worse, their handbag.

I stood and gawped while I tried to remember where the hell I'd been when I took this trolley and why I hadn't noticed in all that time, that theses weren't my things.
So I started to push it back down the central aisle, hoping to spot a) someone who looked like they couldn't remember where they'd left their trolley and b) my own trolley.
After a minute or two I saw an elderly gent carrying a pint of milk who, under other circumstances, you'd say looked as though he'd lost his wife. I went up to him and the look of relief on his face was very obvious. I apologised profusely but I think he was just glad to have his things back.

I then had to go and find my own trolley which had ended up in the pharmacy aisle - I don't remember leaving it there, but maybe someone else had done the same thing I had.

Anyway, all was well in the end.
"U r a multifaceted dark horse. Oh yes you are..."

a wise and helpful soul, Musette  ;D

Offline Grey

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • old school old butch
« Reply #81 on: Mar 18, 2017, 01:40:01 PM »
^that is hilarious! would have loved to have seen your face when you realized
and you made his day when he found out it wasn't his fault after all !!
the age thing is-perfectly ridiculous stuff you do when your younger suddenly you start thinking it's an age related now
But the most important thing here is did you get your mini easter eggs??

unless it's my local co-op I'm always asked by staff in larger supermarkets if I need help even if I'm doing alright because I always have a desperate I'm about to get lost in the produce aisle again look
And those multi-story parking lots--oh god-the times I've been on a quest trying to find my car while others have driven past me watching as I trek all over

Offline Musette

• Perfect London Lesbian in Mum Casual
  • Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #82 on: Mar 18, 2017, 11:35:10 PM »
My Sainsbury's has a massive open-air car park, but I always park in the same place so that I don't lose the car (it has a manual lock so I can't even press the fob thing to make the lights come on - I have to know where it is).

And I did get my mini eggs (3 bags: Creme, Oreo and Daim), but I will get more (different kinds and different sizes) over the next couple of weeks - I like to build up my stock slowly...
"U r a multifaceted dark horse. Oh yes you are..."

a wise and helpful soul, Musette  ;D

Offline kim

• Gingerbeer Newbie
« Reply #83 on: Mar 19, 2017, 02:38:01 PM »
... you are pleasantly surprised by the inclusion of a Damart catalogue with your TV magazine.

Offline Lust for Life

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • deep down, I think I am an optimist ...
« Reply #84 on: Mar 19, 2017, 02:55:26 PM »
^ snort ;D
I saw a a Damart catalogue with some empty beer bottles on the street in Brussels recently, made me wonder if it is still the poor man's playboy...

My getting old thing, oh, I have two :-[...

1. That when someone suggests a new sporting activity you have to carefully consider the potential continence implications before saying yes

And

2. Removing the occasional chin hair has become a weekly activity. Hmm, who am I trying to kid, more like every other day... ::)

Offline FreeRangeHen

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #85 on: Mar 25, 2017, 06:26:29 PM »
 ;D

Agree about the chin hair thing!  I have taken to carrying a tweezers in my bag - comes in handy for random chin-bristle sightings (often in the car mirror).

I now reflect that my parents (and most of their peers) have passed away.

I ponder upon my pension (or the diminishment of same).

I take time to unfold from my bed in the mornings - no leaping forth these days.

I feel relieved that it is now considered normal to stay in watching TV at weekends.  No more wild partying for me hurrah!

Offline Grey

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • old school old butch
« Reply #86 on: Mar 25, 2017, 08:29:00 PM »
^ that's one of  my favourite bits-not having to go out and be social-I waited my whole life to be a codger and I fully intend to enjoy it  ;D

Musette your mini egg priorities are perfection!!

Offline Tired & Confused

• Gingerbeer Virgin
« Reply #87 on: Mar 26, 2017, 12:33:25 AM »
I don't know if this is old age, but....
Yesterday I went to the big Sainsbury's to do my weekly shop. It is one of the biggest stores in the country with many, many aisles coming off a large central aisle (I'm already making excuses for myself...).

I wanted to look at the display of mini Easter eggs so I 'parked' my trolley to one side. It had a few things in it, and my stash of reusable bags.
After I'd chosen my eggs I grabbed my trolley again and went to the other end of the shop to pick up some juice. Again I 'parked' my trolley to one side and chose a couple of cartons. Went back to my trolley, but of course, it wasn't my trolley at all. It had someone else's shopping in it, and, worse, their handbag.

I stood and gawped while I tried to remember where the hell I'd been when I took this trolley and why I hadn't noticed in all that time, that theses weren't my things.
So I started to push it back down the central aisle, hoping to spot a) someone who looked like they couldn't remember where they'd left their trolley and b) my own trolley.
After a minute or two I saw an elderly gent carrying a pint of milk who, under other circumstances, you'd say looked as though he'd lost his wife. I went up to him and the look of relief on his face was very obvious. I apologised profusely but I think he was just glad to have his things back.

I then had to go and find my own trolley which had ended up in the pharmacy aisle - I don't remember leaving it there, but maybe someone else had done the same thing I had.

Anyway, all was well in the end.

Tout va Bien (the supermarket scene)

Offline plaiting fog

• Gingerbeer Diva
« Reply #88 on: Mar 31, 2017, 10:18:41 AM »
Your early morning routine has to alter on a particular day and you feel most out of sorts at having lost your comforts.

Offline Grey

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • old school old butch
« Reply #89 on: Mar 31, 2017, 01:19:24 PM »
^oh that!! yup! If I lose my morning routine then my brain just gives up and I can't find my keys forget my travel mug of tea and it just goes rapidly downhill from there all day