Author Topic: You know you're getting old when ......  (Read 1496 times)

Offline Artist

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • artist of life
Re: You know you're getting old when ......
« Reply #30 on: Mar 04, 2017, 01:37:50 AM »
I always dreamt of working at The Lady.  Their offices were bang opposite ours at another publishers I worked at in Covent Garden.  A gold gilt and white Georgian building, with Christ knows what going on inside.  That was what fascinated me.

Mind you, in it's heyday, Stella Gibbons (Cold Comfort Farm) was one of it's writers.  Havn't seen a copy since my friends Nan passed on, and wonder about their demographic.  There were lots of ads for housekeepers from what I recall.   :D

http://www.lady.co.uk/

I'll raise you with this...

http://www.lady.co.uk/tlr

Governess anyone?

No, thank you. Why?  :D

Sorry i didn't get your question, joke!
« Last Edit: Mar 04, 2017, 01:52:01 AM by Artist »
“Expectations are resentments under construction.”
― Anne Lamott

Offline Chewwy

• U16 Doubles Table Tennis Champion 2018
  • Gingerbeer Goddess
  • I'm an okay arsehole.
« Reply #31 on: Mar 04, 2017, 02:31:35 AM »
Oh dear, and I don't get your question.  :?

We're not getting very far are we?
Hear me RoaaAAARRRRRrrrrr.......... purrrrRRRR.

Offline Betty Croker's frosted buns

• Gingerbeer Newbie
  • Gingerbeer.co.uk - The Lesbian Guide
« Reply #32 on: Mar 04, 2017, 10:43:30 AM »
The Lady Magazine was mainly seen in the Northern seaside town I grew up in, as a place to get a summer or part time job in sliver service, seasonal waitressing or being an au pair.

I had a very camp but straight male housemate who ordered it for finding such jobs when we were students.

I remember going into the local shop with him and as we were stacking up on pies, bottles of Leibraumilch and Thunder Bird, the man behind the counter shouted at him, "Your Lady Magazine has arrived, Mr Wallace." Cue eyebrows raised by a shop full of bruisers. But he never batted an eyelid, bless him.

Offline Top

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #33 on: Mar 04, 2017, 11:49:26 AM »
My mother claimed that gigolos advertised in The Lady and that it was basically a swingers' magazine for the posh, full of coded messages. I don't know how she knew this.
I'm reporting you to the mods for annoying me to the point where I become ill and have to take tranquillisers.  - Wolfie

Offline Artist

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • artist of life
« Reply #34 on: Mar 04, 2017, 12:31:01 PM »
I heard that The Lady magazine is good for finding jobs like nanny, au pair or domestic stuff.  Not sure how it is now but it seems the same.
― Anne Lamott

Offline Artist

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • artist of life
« Reply #35 on: Mar 04, 2017, 12:35:39 PM »

Just far enough.
Your mocking of people in certain jobs is so pathetic so you can't go very far especially on public forum.
― Anne Lamott

Offline સરસ

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • To err is human, to moo bovine.
    • http://gaydargirls.com/anti.k
« Reply #36 on: Mar 04, 2017, 01:44:02 PM »
I think The Lady is one of the better publications as far as mags go...  :D

Truth does not depend on a consensus of opinion.

Dear karma, You're not really paying attention so I got a list of people you missed.

Offline Top

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #37 on: Mar 04, 2017, 02:07:41 PM »
Just far enough.
Your mocking of people in certain jobs is so pathetic so you can't go very far especially on public forum.

That's a leap, can you show your working out?

(Having look at governess jobs myself, they tend to require an ability to speak 5 languages, a demonstrable willingness to work 27 hours a day, experience of advanced level children's clothes ironing, along with an Oxbridge double first. It's very easy to mock anyone asking for all that while still being in awe of someone who could meet the job spec.)
I'm reporting you to the mods for annoying me to the point where I become ill and have to take tranquillisers.  - Wolfie

Offline Artist

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • artist of life
« Reply #38 on: Mar 04, 2017, 06:16:46 PM »
She was mocking housekeepers and governesses as I read it from her posts. And then gave childlike tantrum when I asked her what did she mean with her post mentioning governess.

Maybe you need more work done with researching ads. You can pick up worst ads then for any profession and make conclusions accordingly. 

It is easy to mock people when you don't know them and see them below yourself. Why is governess or hosekeeper below you it is beyond me. I don't count diplomas or ranks but how person treats other people. Housekeeper can have more wisdom and good intentions than lawyer, or president of usa lol, highest rank!

― Anne Lamott

Offline Shortcut

• Gingerbeer Virgin
« Reply #39 on: Mar 04, 2017, 06:20:46 PM »
To go back to the original question...  When a day's gardening has to be cut short because your back can't take it. Oh dear, I never ordered this...

Online Grey

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • old school old butch
« Reply #40 on: Mar 04, 2017, 07:45:03 PM »
When you can spend an entire day interacting with all sorts of people work travel queues etc and you're always the oldest one

I had a slow realization of that yesterday- that with the exception of one person in their 80's I was the oldest
It's funny because it doesn't occur because minus one offspring I'm doing exactly what I was doing 20 years ago

Offline Chewwy

• U16 Doubles Table Tennis Champion 2018
  • Gingerbeer Goddess
  • I'm an okay arsehole.
« Reply #41 on: Mar 04, 2017, 08:11:45 PM »

Just far enough.

Oh chill out Jane Eyre.
Hear me RoaaAAARRRRRrrrrr.......... purrrrRRRR.

Online cigarettes and matches

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • But I don't smoke
« Reply #42 on: Mar 04, 2017, 08:20:19 PM »
;D
I owe a special thanks to someone who enabled me to turn my dream into a reality

Offline outoforder

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #43 on: Mar 04, 2017, 08:22:37 PM »
When you can spend an entire day interacting with all sorts of people work travel queues etc and you're always the oldest one

I had a slow realization of that yesterday- that with the exception of one person in their 80's I was the oldest
It's funny because it doesn't occur because minus one offspring I'm doing exactly what I was doing 20 years ago

or most eligible women are way way younger than you.

Online cigarettes and matches

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • But I don't smoke
« Reply #44 on: Mar 04, 2017, 08:24:08 PM »
She was mocking housekeepers and governesses as I read it from her posts. And then gave childlike tantrum when I asked her what did she mean with her post mentioning governess.

Maybe you need more work done with researching ads. You can pick up worst ads then for any profession and make conclusions accordingly. 

It is easy to mock people when you don't know them and see them below yourself. Why is governess or hosekeeper below you it is beyond me. I don't count diplomas or ranks but how person treats other people. Housekeeper can have more wisdom and good intentions than lawyer, or president of usa lol, highest rank!

I think it was sarcasm to be honest and I have met Chewwy and she is an ok person as far as I am concerned
I owe a special thanks to someone who enabled me to turn my dream into a reality