Author Topic: Can I get my money back?  (Read 115 times)

Offline mint

• Gingerbeer Scene Queen
  • Gingerbeer.co.uk - The Lesbian Guide
Can I get my money back?
« on: Jan 16, 2018, 06:43:46 PM »
This is stupid and I'm kicking myself for having to write this but here it goes.

Before Christmas I booked a session with someone for a counselling assessment. Shortly before the session I got ill, I got in contact and she said that was OK and still to go ahead. She had said to pay cash on the day and I didn't have to pay a deposit or anything like that. I turned up and I really wasn't well, we mutually decided that it was pointless going ahead, that I should leave and we'd be in contact when I was better. However she asked for the money, so I gave her £100 cash.

To cut a long story short circumstances have changed and I also didn't feel very at ease when I got there, so I sent an email asking if it would be OK instead of having the session in the future which is what had been agreed, that she takes what she thinks is reasonable as a deposit because the session didn't go ahead, and to refund the remainder instead of having the session. I've literally heard nothing, and I have a bad feeling about this like I basically won't hear anything again.

Should I just write off the £100 cash? I feel really stupid for even turning up when I was ill - I didn't actually want to travel but I felt bad about cancelling at last minute so I didn't even though that was what I wanted (I so wish I'd done that right now). £100 is a lot of money for me right now, otherwise I wouldn't feel so strongly about it (she is aware of that fact).

I have no receipt or anything like that. What do you think is fair? I obviously don't mind losing a deposit of some kind because despite my reservations I did agree to attend the session, but to lose the whole amount seems like a lot.

« Last Edit: Jan 16, 2018, 06:45:22 PM by mint »

Offline the ganze metsieh

• Gingerbeer Scene Queen
Re: Can I get my money back?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2018, 07:54:32 PM »
In haste, I think if you want some of your money back you have to tell her exactly how much and exactly how to give it to you. This is my experience of making arrangements in general with people I don't know who want to collect an item of furniture or a bike etc that I'm selling. Leaving it vague leads to long exchanges but suggesting something gives them the option to suggest something else or agree. Email her and say you'll call between 1 and 2pm on Saturday, or something similar, and you hope she can give you £50, or £75, if you think there's any chance of that. I'd try for £50 tho and hope she has some scruples to pay back more.

Online Slantrhyme

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2018, 08:56:42 PM »
Sounds like a good plan. Definitely go over in person. If she messes you about you can always put bad reviews all over the Internet, and tell her youíre going to do that as well. Itís amazing how quickly peoples attitudes change when you threaten them with rotten reviews. Donít be scared to be assertive and bolshy. Being  meek and apologetic  will get you precisely nowhere in my experience, in fact itíll just get you shat on.
 Good luck, and donít let her mess you around.   

Offline mint

• Gingerbeer Scene Queen
« Reply #3 on: Jan 17, 2018, 01:18:13 AM »
I emailed and asked if it was OK if we split it 50 / 50 as I felt that was fair. She has agreed.

I'm happy with £50.

Thank you both for your advice :)

Online Slantrhyme

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #4 on: Jan 17, 2018, 09:44:58 AM »
Result  8)

Offline Lust for Life

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • deep down, I think I am an optimist ...
« Reply #5 on: Jan 21, 2018, 10:08:18 AM »
Go Gingerbeer!