Author Topic: Happy new year!  (Read 345 times)

Offline merce

• Gingerbeer Goddess
Happy new year!
« on: Jan 01, 2017, 09:29:36 AM »
One of the aspects of life with a child I struggle with is celebrating things i would prefer  to sleep through/ criticise mercilessly . This year we passed out and the eleven year old stayed up. Here's to good things for us all this year!

Offline Medusa

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • Gingerbeer.co.uk - The Lesbian Guide
Re: Happy new year!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 01, 2017, 02:59:14 PM »
Happy New Year! I have always felt some vestige of annoyance at not having the option to ignore such things as Christmas and NY any more but perhaps it's not all bad.

I am also impressed at your willingness to trust the imp and go to bed. I dread to think what my three would get up to if I were to do that! (In truth, they'd probably just make toasties at 1am and carry on as normal.)
Every day is a bad hair day.

Offline nismat

• Gingerbeer Devotee
« Reply #2 on: Jan 01, 2017, 04:46:03 PM »
Happy New Year!

What on earth did the 11-yr old stay up doing on his own?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Diesel

« Reply #3 on: Jan 01, 2017, 06:33:12 PM »
I assumed 6 year old wouldn't know what NYE was and planned to ignore it.

Turns out he did- getting him to bed was hard- he was then wide awake from 11.59 til almost 2 thanks to the fireworks.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Offline Medusa

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • Gingerbeer.co.uk - The Lesbian Guide
« Reply #4 on: Jan 01, 2017, 06:49:17 PM »
DIESEL! *waves*   :D :D
Every day is a bad hair day.

Offline animalnitrate

• Gingerbeer Devotee
  • Tawdry force
« Reply #5 on: Jan 01, 2017, 08:15:12 PM »
Happy new year!

We saw some fireworks through my bedroom window, which was lovely. I am a bit perplexed by them (saw them last year too) as it is a very expansive and polished display, but geographically cannot possibly be the Westminster ones, and who is putting on such an impressive load of fireworks in Chingford or thereabouts?
Anyway, as per J's request I woke him up to see them and we watched for a bit. He was v floppy-sleepy though so I asked if he wanted to go back to sleep and yes he did, lay him back down and off we went etc. First thing this morning (7am! Blissful lie in) he rolled over and said mummy, do you think we've woken up in time for the fireworks?  :D

The one that got me though was Hallowe'en. Can't be doing with it, don't approve, etc. Went trick or treating with a load of his now-dispersed nursery friends and it was *lovely*. But I still felt mortified to be doing the knocking-on-doors begging for sweets thing.

Offline merce

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #6 on: Jan 02, 2017, 03:56:01 PM »
He watched videos! Luckily I woke up at 12:30 and took the ipad away. Bit crap!

Offline nic

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #7 on: Jan 07, 2017, 02:24:47 PM »
haha  mine would do the same if she could .....

my parents werent religious we celebrated all kinds of things depending where we were - my parents always thought we should learn about the culture of others etc and also my grandparents helped a lot of jewish people leave germany in the early thirties - those who cam back always invited us for Hanukkah and my extended family is greek and strongly orthodox - so we grew up with all the different rituals around xmas time - this winter i took the little munch to see my aunt who had converted to Judaism as her parents ( my other set of grandparents) had been highly organised in the hiter movement and she felt guilty for their involvement - as a resut we celebrated Hanukkah this winter - she enjoyed lighting the minora for the eight nights and also getting one or two presents every night - in the end she asked if we could celebrate Hanukkah next year again because she liked getting a present every night for eight nights rather than everything together but that she still wanted a xmas tree !!!!!!!!

my aunt had a number of friends over and the little one really enjoyed the social aspect - the present were fun but didnt seem that important ...

i enjoyed the same as a kid and teenager - and loved the greek xmas with all tthe food and the jumping in the freezing river ( we celebrated in the town we lived in germany rather than in greece)  most years -
i cant stand all the commercial stuff before hnd and kept the whole thing to a minimum

the main thing for new year for me is to go and havve a walk on the beach - this year we went to the pacific as my aunt lives close to it - it was lovely and warmer than here great waves - but normally we go to the kent coast for new years day - much more important to me than staying up!!!!!

Offline merce

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #8 on: Jan 09, 2017, 05:24:05 PM »
Oh I love that new year's tradition nic. We seem to accumulate new traditions every year including having 12 different sweets on a plate, doing 12th night 'king for a day' if you get the bean, etc... But Xmas always, since I left home, meant friends not birth family. These days it means figuring out how to manage needy aged parent. I miss the luxury of choice.