Author Topic: what happened to this lovely supportive board  (Read 1073 times)

Offline nic

• Gingerbeer Goddess
what happened to this lovely supportive board
« on: Nov 23, 2016, 02:33:44 PM »
i went off for a while - work commitments etc but when i came back six months ago or so all in this section was so not active anymore

surely as the little ones grow up they are even more fascinating as well as challenging ....... i used to love all those stories and support

Offline sparky

• Gingerbeer Diva
Re: what happened to this lovely supportive board
« Reply #1 on: Nov 24, 2016, 04:44:58 PM »
I don't know? Before when we were trying to conceive it was so active and there was the camping trip.  My daughters a year now and we really need to find other same sex families or have somewhere to ask questions but it's so quiet here.

Offline Lust for Life

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • deep down, I think I am an optimist ...
« Reply #2 on: Nov 26, 2016, 04:11:52 PM »
I think if you ask, you'll still get answers.

I suspect most of the regulars are on Facebook. I don't mean that rudely, it's kind of mirroring what I have experienced in real live groups. You make friends with people you have a lot in common with (age of kids being one of them!) and you do stuff with them, and at a certain point, maybe without even deciding that consciously, you stop coming back to the open place where new people were welcome. Your own need to expand your friendship group has been met and you drift away.

That's my theory, anyway. But I still think it's a shame.

How are you and little munch, nic? Bet she's not that little any more!  My boys are now practically grown up and are busy working out what they want in life. It's a new phase, hard for them but kind of nice for me to have one last major round of feeling needed...

Offline Chewwy

• U16 Doubles Table Tennis Champion 2018
  • Gingerbeer Goddess
  • I'm an okay arsehole.
« Reply #3 on: Nov 26, 2016, 08:45:33 PM »
Yep, this is the case in my experience. 

I do try and balance the two tho', there's still more lovely people to meet on here.  Just a shame there's not as many meet ups anymore.  :-\
Hear me RoaaAAARRRRRrrrrr.......... purrrrRRRR.

Offline Chewwy

• U16 Doubles Table Tennis Champion 2018
  • Gingerbeer Goddess
  • I'm an okay arsehole.
« Reply #4 on: Nov 26, 2016, 08:50:00 PM »
Yep, this is the case in my experience. 

I do try and balance the two tho', there's still more lovely people to meet on here.  Just a shame there's not as many meet ups anymore.  :-\

Ooops sorry, I don't have kids.
Hear me RoaaAAARRRRRrrrrr.......... purrrrRRRR.

Offline nic

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #5 on: Nov 27, 2016, 11:35:53 PM »
Hi Lust for Life

yes i guess there was a point when everyone went over to facebook and i just dont like facebook for various reasons

thanks we are fine the little munch is now 7, her funny, determined  and quirky personality is still very strongand hopefully will continnue to do so for a very long time

I hope yours are enjoying their adventures ......

take care
Nicoe

Offline Medusa

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • Gingerbeer.co.uk - The Lesbian Guide
« Reply #6 on: Dec 01, 2016, 12:34:08 AM »
Hello Nicole!

I hardly ever post now for two reasons. First, I prefer to talk about parenting stuff on a forum where I can have more control over who reads what I write. Second (related), as my kids have got older (sixteen now!) it is no longer appropriate to use social media to write about them the way I did when they were younger. Tbh, I was very new to the internet when I joined Gingerbeer and it took a while for me to fully grasp that everything I wrote was out there in the world for anyone to read. Once that sank it, I posted less and less.

I haven't even been camping with the RF group for the last couple of years. I feel wistful about the sense of community I once got from it all but the age gap between my kids and all the others stretched ever wider. I'm meant to go next summer but it remains to be seen if my teenagers will actually want to.

I have no idea what reasons other people have for not posting any more...

Lovely to hear from you, though. x
« Last Edit: Dec 01, 2016, 11:01:37 AM by Medusa »
Every day is a bad hair day.

Offline cigarettes and matches

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • But I don't smoke
« Reply #7 on: Dec 01, 2016, 06:03:49 AM »
^
I used to post all kinds of shite on GB.  Now I am more private and post general things only.   
I owe a special thanks to someone who enabled me to turn my dream into a reality

Offline Grey

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • old school old butch
« Reply #8 on: Dec 03, 2016, 05:04:12 PM »
Sixteen!!
weren't they just going to school with Sylvanian toys in their pockets?!

Offline Medusa

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #9 on: Dec 03, 2016, 06:41:39 PM »
Yep. The blink of an eye. They are gloriously wonderful & occasionally bloody annoying.

Offline Lust for Life

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #10 on: Dec 03, 2016, 08:42:34 PM »
Just been on a family outing to the cinema for the first time in years, it was lovely, though it was kind of funny to be watching a kids film with us all being grown ups. Fantastic beasts and where to find them. Loved it! Our combined age is now 128, I think (though I just changed that three times while writing this ::). Anyway, both our boys are officially grown up, that was kind of my point.

Offline merce

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #11 on: Dec 04, 2016, 09:04:02 PM »
Miss you Nic! I stopped posting bc so much of my child's life seemed private to him. Lovely to hear about you and little munch x

Offline Primate

• Gingerbeer Diva
« Reply #12 on: Jan 26, 2017, 07:15:28 PM »
I stopped posting because everything went very bleak for a long while and I couldn't bear it. I would love to catch up with people though.

Offline Medusa

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #13 on: Jan 26, 2017, 09:16:57 PM »
Would there be much interest in a half-term meet-up?
My lot have examsexamsexamsexamsexams but I could arrange a bowling thing if a few of you were interested.

Even though my three are ginormous now, yours have all grown, too, so most of them could bowl now! How did *that* happen?

Offline Lust for Life

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #14 on: Jan 27, 2017, 10:45:52 AM »
((Primate!)) good to see you back :)

How are things these days? Have you been able to find a 'new normal' that works for you?

Big hug!