Author Topic: The News: what have you seen/read?  (Read 3774 times)

curiosa

Re: The News: what have you seen/read?
« Reply #30 on: Oct 13, 2016, 09:06:29 AM »
why is @Walter Sickert offensive and uses so much CAPS LOCK ???

re the giraffes: there are not many of them!

curiosa

« Reply #31 on: Oct 13, 2016, 09:09:04 AM »
today Brexit is taken to court, well, kind of. i actually think it is a process that assesses the democratic level of UK's political decision-making process and i'm very curious how it unfolds.

Offline Musette

• Perfect London Lesbian in Mum Casual
  • Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #32 on: Oct 13, 2016, 01:57:15 PM »

Do you mean why does she behave in an offensive way, or why do you/we find her offensive?
As for the Caps - I have no idea, but it's rather irritating.
Then again I am just a loudly babbling shallow brook too, apparently.
"U r a multifaceted dark horse. Oh yes you are..."

a wise and helpful soul, Musette  ;D

curiosa

« Reply #33 on: Oct 13, 2016, 02:52:50 PM »
Do you mean why does she behave in an offensive way [..]?
yes, that. i'm offensive often enough, but i try to hide it by not using caps lock. [sarcasm]

Offline Walter Sickert

• Gingerbeer Virgin
  • Gingerbeer.co.uk - The Lesbian Guide
« Reply #34 on: Oct 13, 2016, 03:56:32 PM »

She can also write in...

l
o
  w
e r

c
a
   s e

if needed or required?

re the giraffes: there are not many of them!

curiosa

« Reply #35 on: Oct 13, 2016, 06:48:04 PM »
She can also write in...

l
o
  w
e r

c
a
   s e

if needed or required?

humanity thanks you.

Offline Quack

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #36 on: Oct 13, 2016, 07:59:09 PM »
Trump's comments make me want to vomit.

I'm only surprised there aren't more tapes of him talking like that though.  He is so obviously a vile misogynist.
^ They are all coming out now. Along with reports from various women of him sexually assaulting them.

I've just read The New York Times's response to Trump threatening to sue them for libel for reporting two of the women's accounts.

Their very good argument is basically along the lines of 'if you say things about yourself and we print other people agreeing with you then you can't sue us for loss of reputation'.

In any other year than 2016, this would be the end of his campaign but he still has a lot of support.

Offline Walter Sickert

• Gingerbeer Virgin
« Reply #37 on: Oct 13, 2016, 08:44:45 PM »
She can also write in...

l
o
  w
e r

c
a
   s e

if needed or required?

humanity thanks you.

No probs Curiosa. Glad to be of service! Whether it be to mankind or womankind or Gingerbeers.

RJ :-)

Betty Boothroyds tears

« Reply #38 on: Oct 14, 2016, 12:29:42 AM »
Trump's comments make me want to vomit.

I'm only surprised there aren't more tapes of him talking like that though.  He is so obviously a vile misogynist.
^ They are all coming out now. Along with reports from various women of him sexually assaulting them.

I've just read The New York Times's response to Trump threatening to sue them for libel for reporting two of the women's accounts.

Their very good argument is basically along the lines of 'if you say things about yourself and we print other people agreeing with you then you can't sue us for loss of reputation'.

In any other year than 2016, this would be the end of his campaign but he still has a lot of support.

Yeah, generally, to have your reputation damaged, it has to be not shot to absolute shit in the first place.

On a similar note, I once went to the corner of Haight Ashbury in San Francisco which used to be the epi-centre of Hippy culture in the 1960's. This was in 1999. There was a beared bloke in a kaftan with a placard around his neck with "Free the Manson Family" on it. And I thought, I've seen a campaign for pretty much everything now. If you had to protest over some public issue, surely the continued detention of Charles Manson for the murder of Sharon Tate must come towards the bottom of anyone's list of suspected injustices. Now with the Trump campaign, it feels like that bearded guy with his absurd priorities, has multiplied and spread all over America.

The Maven, noch einmal

« Reply #39 on: Oct 14, 2016, 12:59:18 AM »
Not sure. I think they're different types of lunacy. Free the Mansons is more in the league of crop circles, alien invasions and finding cryptic messages on the back of cereal packets to explain the financial crisis. People who hold these beliefs always have 'proof', and want to tell you 'the facts', which they believe are being wilfully hidden.
Whereas, Trump supporters seem more inclined to want to hold views based on no evidence at all. They have an aggrieved belligerence about the redundancy of information and reason. (In that sense, we do live in a post-truth world but I think that's different from passing off lies as truth.)

Offline Walter Sickert

• Gingerbeer Virgin
« Reply #40 on: Oct 14, 2016, 01:00:21 AM »
Trump may be a misogynist... but if he gets in Power all we can hope for is that he doesn't act and lie like his predecessors or former US Presidents who lied to the World daily...
ie
Man landed on the Moon? - Not true.
Lee Harvey Oswald killed JFK - Not true.
In fact Oswald had a 'Doppleganger'
Saddam Hussain had Weapons of Mass Destruction
at his disposal - Not true

Presidents of the US of A are often just a Political Puppet.

The Maven, noch einmal

« Reply #41 on: Oct 14, 2016, 01:02:20 AM »
^As I was saying.

Betty Boothroyds tears

« Reply #42 on: Oct 14, 2016, 01:11:35 AM »
Quite.

Yeah, I wouldn't argue with that. Its the misplaced sense of injustice, the unfounded grievance that are superficially similar.

The Maven, noch einmal

« Reply #43 on: Oct 14, 2016, 01:25:07 AM »
It's probably splitting hairs but it's the aggressive assertion that logic, facts and rational, consecutive thought processes are not only no longer required but are somehow an affront, an affront to instinctual, unarticulated, vague feelings that I find more alarming. It's religious fervour in all but name.

Maybe I'm mistaken, I tend to file conspiracy theorists with anoraks who went off the rails. (That's a most unfortunate and unintended pun on trainspotters.)

Do you remember the American politicians who were all reeled out on YT clips making outlandish claims such as dinosaur farts are the cause of global warming? It's as if they've become less amusing because they're now less outlandish.

Betty Boothroyds tears

« Reply #44 on: Oct 14, 2016, 01:43:00 AM »
It's probably splitting hairs but it's the aggressive assertion that logic, facts and rational, consecutive thought processes are not only no longer required but are somehow an affront, an affront to instinctual, unarticulated, vague feelings that I find more alarming. It's religious fervour in all but name.

Maybe I'm mistaken, I tend to file conspiracy theorists with anoraks who went off the rails. (That's a most unfortunate and unintended pun on trainspotters.)

Do you remember the American politicians who were all reeled out on YT clips making outlandish claims such as dinosaur farts are the cause of global warming? It's as if they've become less amusing because they're now less outlandish.

I completely get the first bit though. It was totally a working-class thing that everyone I know felt and I understand it. It was the idea that one can be educated beyond all instinct. That you really don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows. That oppression was partly-founded on semantic manipulation and logical slight-off hands employed by intellectuals to maintain their privilege. George Bernard Shaw almost described it when he said that the professions were simply a consipracy against the laity. I think there is something in that. Its a shame a right wing politician has been able to milk it and left wing politicans are blind to it.

I'm not sure that beardy man was arguing a conspiracy theory over the Manson conviction. He looked like he just used to hang out with them and had found no other purpose in his life but to maintain his loyalty.
« Last Edit: Oct 14, 2016, 01:45:43 AM by Betty Croker's frosted buns »