Author Topic: Newbie mistakes...?  (Read 2880 times)

The Maven, noch einmal

Re: Newbie mistakes...?
« Reply #30 on: Sep 30, 2016, 03:32:07 PM »
Every word of it. I thought the Lesbian Archive was like the Tate or the V&A.

True about being regaled with tales of very slight acquaintance with lesbians too. I said 'do you know where the lesbian archive is' and they said, 'no but my next door neighbour's cousin is a lesbian'.
« Last Edit: Sep 30, 2016, 03:36:47 PM by The Maven, noch einmal »

Offline plaiting fog

• Gingerbeer Diva
  • Gingerbeer.co.uk - The Lesbian Guide
« Reply #31 on: Sep 30, 2016, 04:03:07 PM »
I'm more of a fedora woman, do you have any tips for potential meetings on allotments?

My first real newbie mistake was going up to London in search of the Lesbian Archive. A building I was certain would be a well-known landmark to Londoners given its obvious importance to the nation. I stopped passing strangers and asked directions. None of them knew but many spent some time regaling me with tales of their slight acquaintance with random lesbians. I never have worked that out.

Fedoras are classy; good choice. I have planned to buy a leather fedora for when I need to dig in the rain. Leather is not so classy, but practical.

Meetings? I am the only woman on my allotment. The other plot holders are fairly elderly gentleman who love their chickens and sheds. I meet many of these types but no women, and certainly none in fedoras or caps. I am a lone wolf, sadly...
Perhaps you could go on google maps and visit one allotment every Sunday wearing a Fedora. Statistically you'd be sure to come across someone interesting. Or perhaps you are looking for a fedora wearer rather than being one yourself?

The plot next to mine will become empty in a few months. Who knows who I might meet when someone claims it. Likely an elderly gent with a love of chickens,  but you never know...

If I spot a woman wearing a tweed cap or fedora I shall invite her into shed.

Offline plaiting fog

• Gingerbeer Diva
« Reply #32 on: Sep 30, 2016, 04:07:58 PM »

[/quote]

i suggest you find an approach that works with the working on the allotment. couldn't we imagine the maiden strolling on the allotment being particularly fascinated by caps-wearers doing what they are supposed to do on an allotment - which is not standing still. she might think you're lazy and just there to check out the maiden newbies?! so what about digging in the earth with rolled up sleeves (using gloves in case she vicariously doesnt like dried soil) to find your carrots and cucumbers, and move over to the strawberries, which you can then wash and offer her as a present from your hard labour (and maiden admiration)?
[/quote]

The thing is that  my allotment is boundaried by high hedges, fencing and a high solid gate. So she would have had to step into my private plot fully aware that she was doing so. I would naturally stop digging were such an event to occur, waiting for her intention to become clear. I do like being seized by the bodily stillness that comes when eyes  connect across a crowded room. I wouldn't naturally move from that to washing vegetables. But perhaps I am too intensely captured, when I am...

Offline Grey

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • old school old butch
« Reply #33 on: Sep 30, 2016, 04:24:15 PM »
maybe not a pinstripe on t'allotment but! a tweed waistcoat with rugged well worn trousers-and with your cap at that rakish angle-Oh Yes!

maidens will be scaling the gate  ;D

Offline plaiting fog

• Gingerbeer Diva
« Reply #34 on: Sep 30, 2016, 04:39:54 PM »
maybe not a pinstripe on t'allotment but! a tweed waistcoat with rugged well worn trousers-and with your cap at that rakish angle-Oh Yes!

I'll keep my eyes peeled for a waistcoat too then...
My gates are so hidden that, in reality,  there will be no scaling, sadly; all my tweeds only benefitting the eyes of the old men. But I do like this fictional version you're helping me paint...

Offline Musette

• Perfect London Lesbian in Mum Casual
  • Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #35 on: Sep 30, 2016, 11:43:39 PM »

Yes they will! :D
"U r a multifaceted dark horse. Oh yes you are..."

a wise and helpful soul, Musette  ;D

curiosa

« Reply #36 on: Oct 01, 2016, 08:40:01 AM »

Yes they will! :D

do you know something the rest of us maidens don't? ...like where the gate is  ;) :-*

Offline Musette

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #37 on: Oct 02, 2016, 08:05:27 PM »
^ sadly not. I'm hoping somebody in this thread has got a map... ;D

Offline MzB

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #38 on: Oct 03, 2016, 01:50:32 AM »
I am a devotee of the discreet fascinator, trug and gloves when pruning my rose bush. Is this germane?

Offline Lust for Life

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • deep down, I think I am an optimist ...
« Reply #39 on: Oct 03, 2016, 09:20:38 AM »
I don't know, but now I have Germaine's no knickers interview in my head.

Offline Grey

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • old school old butch
« Reply #40 on: Oct 03, 2016, 01:33:42 PM »
I don't know, but now I have Germaine's no knickers interview in my head.

Wait Wait--WHAT?

Offline Musette

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #41 on: Oct 03, 2016, 04:57:27 PM »
https://www.theguardian.com/books/2000/may/07/society1

This isn't the interview, but it's Germaine talking about how much she hates underwear.
Personally I like underwear. If Germaine doesn't that's up to her, but don't tell me I'm a bad woman/feminist for wearing knickers >:(

curiosa

« Reply #42 on: Oct 03, 2016, 06:48:55 PM »
GG is so problematic.

related and unrelated, last time i checked not-knicker-wearing or knicker-wearing wasn't a prerequisite of feminism

Offline Grey

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • old school old butch
« Reply #43 on: Oct 03, 2016, 07:48:29 PM »
I understand those "foundation" garment things she's talking about-conical bras elastic belts with bulky pads and safety pins that popped open and stabbed you-everything that you were required to wear that pinched and impeded every day
70's fashions were such an incredible relief
this was also still a time when cross-dressing was illegal and butches had to have three pieces of female clothing on for instance

it's different having all the freedom of individual choice

Offline Musette

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #44 on: Oct 03, 2016, 09:55:56 PM »
GG is so problematic.

Yup.

And yes, I'm glad I don't feel I have to wear foundation garments or, indeed, knickers, if I don't want to. But I do, purely for my own comfort. And I do appreciate that when I wear a corset it is entirely because I enjoy it for a few hours, not because I can't leave the house otherwise. It is, as you say Grey, all about freedom of choice.