Author Topic: INTERSEX TOPIC  (Read 449 times)

Offline Khaleesi_

• Gingerbeer Newbie
  • Gingerbeer.co.uk - The Lesbian Guide
INTERSEX TOPIC
« on: Aug 13, 2016, 11:30:49 AM »
Hello! I'm intersex. If  you don't know what's that, "Intersex is a general term used for a variety of conditions in which a person is born with a reproductive or sexual anatomy that doesn't seem to fit the typical definitions of female or male". Intersex is not, as most people think, being hermaphrodite (having both sexes at the same time), these also exist, but it's far less common in humans than intersex (there is not accurate data, but approximately 1 between 2000 babies have any intersex characteristic).

I have Congenital Adrenal Hiperplasia, with corrective surgeries. This is a polemic topic as well, I had a lot of sex problems because of them, not just because of the physical damage but also psychological. And what's worse, surgeries are perfomed in babies who doesn't even know what's happening, advised for doctors who convince families about that's the best thing to do, and sometimes is not. I'm XX and I look and feel myself as a woman (a hot one  ;D), even my testosterone and androgens are higher than a "normal" woman and that's probably the reason why I like girls (I'm not saying all lesbian women have high testosterone, and I'm not a doctor, but I'm pretty sure it has something to do with it xd)...but some people who has been operated don't agree with their chosen sex (chosen by the doctors in base of the chromosomes and the intern sexual organs), doesn't feel sexual arouse (I used to think that, until I discover I do have it, but as I said I had many problems because of that, I didn't have any psychological support)...Another example is androgen insensitivity syndrome (people who are XY -male- but they don't assimilate their androgens so they look like women), some of their testes are removed with the excuse they could provoque cancer, and as I said I'm not a doctor and I don't know how true is that, but I do know some intersex people who became asexual after all the surgeries.

And after this introduction, my questions:
Is any of you intersex? or do you know about any intersex/LBGTI association in London?
In my country (Spain) we are not really developed in this topics (and in few more xd), being homosexual is accepted, there are some conservative people heritage of the dictatorship (mostly the elderly, but also young ppl, see elections' results...) and the church has a still much power, but most of the people are open minded. Same with trans people, there is still transphobia and much to do, but people don't get surprise with trans people anymore. However, it's really difficult to find any intersex people, maybe they are intersex and they don't even know it (that was my case, my family didn't know anything and my doctors never told me, I had to find it out by myself) or maybe they are just hiding...that's why I started to do some kind of "activism" (not too much, just a couple of articles and interviews), because most of the people don't even know what is it, and that's the problem. If we don't talk about it, it will still be unknown, and what's unknown doesn't exist (I tried to translate an spanish sentence, "lo que no se conoce, no existe"). And also to try to stop the surgeries, in Spain recently (this year 2016) a new trans law appeared which stops the corrective surgeries, but until now it was the parent's decision (with the doctor's advice)

If  you have any question, whatever it is, do not hesitate in asking, no matter if it's personal. I will be more than happy to answer :) my English is not perfect, specially academic words (for instance, the name of the illness are different), but it's good enough. Many thanks!

Azalea

Re: INTERSEX TOPIC
« Reply #1 on: Aug 14, 2016, 12:47:33 AM »
Hi Khaleesi! I don't know much at all about this but found your post really interesting so thank you for sharing (and your English is great!). 

A quick Google search didn't come up with much in the way of support groups, which is depressing, just this website which isn't great but at least has a contacts page

http://www.intersexuk.org/

But I've noticed that this subject has been getting more media attention recently,  there were these articles in the guardian

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jul/02/male-and-female-what-is-it-like-to-be-intersex

https://www.theguardian.com/global-development-professionals-network/2016/feb/10/intersex-human-rights-lgbti-chile-argentina-uganda-costa-rica

And quite a lot about olympian Caster Semenya

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/jul/29/the-return-of-caster-semenya-olympic-favourite-and-ticking-timebomb

So, as you say, hopefully more people will start discussing it, and intersex people speaking out, as trans people have and it'll become less taboo. I think it is starting to happen already, (albeit slowly), which is great. I hope you're enjoying being in London!

Offline Khaleesi_

• Gingerbeer Newbie
« Reply #2 on: Aug 14, 2016, 11:00:18 PM »
Thank you Azalea, por the website, the articles and what you said about my English  ;D I'm gonna try to contact that web. It's true what you said, it happens also in Spain that recently it looks like the topic is getting more attention, also what you said about olympic athletes, there is always polemic about it and the fact they have more testosterone...

Thank you so much for your message, I hope more people post :)

Offline Jóhanna Sigurðardóttir

• Gingerbeer Diva
« Reply #3 on: Aug 15, 2016, 03:50:09 AM »
Como puedo tener bueno espanol como tu ingles?!?!

Offline Khaleesi_

• Gingerbeer Newbie
« Reply #4 on: Aug 23, 2016, 11:03:04 PM »
 ;D ;D viviendo en un país de habla hispana, ir a clase y practicar mucho :)

Offline Jóhanna Sigurðardóttir

• Gingerbeer Diva
« Reply #5 on: Aug 23, 2016, 11:17:38 PM »
Gracias, señorita. Estoy probando a mejorar.

Buena suerte