Author Topic: String theory?  (Read 939 times)

Lydia

String theory?
« on: Jun 02, 2016, 02:20:26 AM »
Downloaded a book on this one. It was simply written, and suggested it could be easily understood, but I couldn't make heads or tales of any of it.

Not educated, so the concepts being bandied about, with the assumption that the reader ought to be well versed in them, just confounded me. So here's the challenge.

Are there any gingerbeer members out there who have the ability to explain this complex subject, and its related themes, like gravity, Newton's theories, and Quantum Physics, etc in such a way that I can take the ideas in more easily and digest them?

Offline Musette

• Perfect London Lesbian in Mum Casual
  • Gingerbeer Goddess
Re: String theory?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 02, 2016, 10:55:49 AM »
"It's a warm summer evening, circa 600 BC...."
"U r a multifaceted dark horse. Oh yes you are..."

a wise and helpful soul, Musette  ;D

Lydia

« Reply #2 on: Jun 02, 2016, 11:41:23 AM »
Just checked that date online. It seems to suggest that that was the beginning when philosophy began to emerge with influential thinkers coming into play.

It would take an inordinate time to take in the flavour of every entry on that particular website. Can you throw some ideas about this period which have revelatory significance onto today's world, especially human engagements and how that all relates to the idea of alien beings and our craving for space exploration...?

Offline Musette

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #3 on: Jun 02, 2016, 04:13:24 PM »
It was a quote from The Big Bang Theory. The episode when Penny asks Sheldon to explain to her what Leonard does for a living. He tries to explain the whole of physics to her, starting with the emergence of philosophy/science in Ancient Greece. It's funny.

I don't actually know much about string theory, certainly not enough to teach someone else.

Regarding aliens, I was going to suggest you watch Aliens: The Big Think on iplayer, but you've just missed the boat on that one, sadly.

But that's a big question you're posing there, Lydia. Do you have any science/maths/philosophy background?

Offline Kess

• Award winning
  • Gingerbeer Goddess
  • Velveteen and razorblades
    • Casee Wilson Music
« Reply #4 on: Jun 02, 2016, 05:17:05 PM »

Tee hee :)
Pianists do it with both hands...

Up to 7/14 for FAWM 2017 challenge  www.fawm.org

Offline Musette

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #5 on: Jun 02, 2016, 05:53:17 PM »
 ;D

Lydia

« Reply #6 on: Jun 02, 2016, 10:18:55 PM »
I don't really watch TV. Moving images affect me so. Guess I could just listen to the presenters on there..

I have no real educational background whatsoever. Dropped out of secondary school after a year and a half there, and have spent a lifetime going down wrong pathways. So at this late stage in life, I have an absolute hungar for knowledge.

My nephew kept mentioning string theory when he was younger and I used to go round to my sister's to see him. It just stuck n my mind that that was something that I had heard about and was curious on. Downloaded  a book on this, but it didn't explain anything at all. Just flung a lot of extraordinary ideas about without any real explanations as to what was being referred to..?

I've got Stephen Hawkins book:- 'A brief history of time..' Here somewhere. I'll see if I can locate it and give that another browse.. I've noticed you are all mostly really ediucated, cultured and sophisticated on this website. Something that used to fascinate me when a young child, growing up watching all those old classics from Hollywoord.

Bit of a drama queen, still enthralled by my 'elders and betters..', especially the knowledge they possess. Keep imagining the type of conversations they would be having in their circles.. It's what I always desired when observing life through the camera lens of a Hollywood director.. Strange how life works out..

Offline hellohowareyoutoday

• Gingerbeer Diva
  • Gingerbeer.co.uk - The Lesbian Guide
« Reply #7 on: Jun 02, 2016, 11:49:58 PM »
I was recently doing a search for good and free online resources to learn stuff, specifically languages. On many of the lists is a site called khanacademy, where you can learn about any subject in a really accessible way, supposedly. Short tutorials, bite-sized chunks, that sort of thing.

It seems to be a useful site, and you could probably learn physics at whatever level you want there.

I am enjoying duolingo and memrise for learning espaņol.

Offline mobius

• Gingerbeer Virgin
« Reply #8 on: Jun 02, 2016, 11:55:35 PM »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Musette

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #9 on: Jun 03, 2016, 12:01:49 AM »
I see I'm drawing out the BBT fans here ;D

Lydia

« Reply #10 on: Jun 03, 2016, 02:39:21 AM »
Just checked out that site you referred to, Johanna.  Not only is it written in easy to understand language, but there are quite a few topics there, with integrated themes throughout each subject, and they are all totally free.

I have noted down the details and shall be venturing onto there at some point today. There are so many gaps to my non-existent knowledge-base, that it will be a delight to feed my intellect and imagination on some of the facts to be found at site.

Just to add the proviso. I say 'facts' but I am sure you are all aware that what I will be reading there, will be versions of 'his-story', and everything that has evolved from that, with a male narrative twist on things.

As that is the most dominant dialogue everywhere, if you want an assessment of the past, or delve into how the economic system is all set up, then for the most part, on these type of sites, you have to follow formula. Once the basics have been learnt, you can go 'off piste' and find some stuff onlne or books, that offer alternative takes to life and everything that has emanated from that. So thanks again for that website info. Going to prove insightful, methinks...

Offline Kess

• Award winning
  • Gingerbeer Goddess
  • Velveteen and razorblades
    • Casee Wilson Music
« Reply #11 on: Jun 03, 2016, 11:41:22 AM »
I see I'm drawing out the BBT fans here ;D

Mobius is directly responsible for my love of BBT :D

Pianists do it with both hands...

Up to 7/14 for FAWM 2017 challenge  www.fawm.org

Offline Musette

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #12 on: Jun 03, 2016, 05:30:30 PM »
:D

Offline valerie

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #13 on: Jan 19, 2017, 08:54:50 PM »

Tee hee :)
LOL, Sheldon, teaching Penny.
????????????????????
   ???????????????????

Offline Lust for Life

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • deep down, I think I am an optimist ...
« Reply #14 on: Jan 20, 2017, 08:27:55 AM »
I still think underwear every time I see this thread title ::)