Author Topic: Mothers  (Read 2106 times)

oldbutnew

Re: Mothers
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2016, 06:15:22 PM »
Dear Mother

No my hair is not that thick and so I am not going to ask the hairdresser to thin it out just to please you.  You are comparing me to others who have quite thin hair.  I actually quite like having thick hair.

Your sincerely

Your daughter  :D

Offline Earl

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • Gingerbeer.co.uk - The Lesbian Guide
« Reply #31 on: Jun 01, 2016, 01:46:34 PM »
FYI: John Waters, american film/entertainment and creepy-looking chap, says that moaning about your parents at 20 is sexy, but at 50, makes you an asshole.

I haven't got a point, but does he?
Nye Bevan, 'the NHS will exist for only as long as the people fight for it'...or something like that.

Offline Lust for Life

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • deep down, I think I am an optimist ...
« Reply #32 on: Jun 01, 2016, 06:48:06 PM »
I like to think that depends on the parents.

dukovearl

« Reply #33 on: Jun 01, 2016, 06:59:49 PM »
I think it makes him ageist and probably an asshole himself.

Offline nismat

• Gingerbeer Devotee
« Reply #34 on: Jun 01, 2016, 07:42:52 PM »
Why on earth would moaning about your parents, or about anything for that matter, make you sexy? At any age?
Ridiculous.

dukovearl

« Reply #35 on: Jun 01, 2016, 10:02:44 PM »
Aye, and why at any age, f your moans are real and heartfelt, would you care whether some knob found it sexy?

Offline nismat

• Gingerbeer Devotee
« Reply #36 on: Jun 01, 2016, 10:27:00 PM »
Indeed. Things need to be got off chests.

Saga N

« Reply #37 on: Jun 01, 2016, 11:29:39 PM »
Are you a mother, Earl?

Offline Earl

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #38 on: Jun 02, 2016, 02:20:48 PM »
I think it makes him ageist and probably an asshole himself.

As concerns him, nail on head, I think.
Nye Bevan, 'the NHS will exist for only as long as the people fight for it'...or something like that.

Offline Earl

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #39 on: Jun 02, 2016, 02:22:54 PM »

Indeed. What a lovely thought. Photos etc gratefully received.

Offline Earl

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #40 on: Jun 02, 2016, 02:38:43 PM »
Are you a mother, Earl?

Yes, which is probably why I posed the question the way I did re expecting too much. I'm a daughter, too.

Was that helpful?

My mother is on the surface, fine. Her guilt-tripping me into disastrous decisions when I was younger, which with some hindsight, was clearly for her own benefit, not mine, became less upsetting over time. Her thoughtlessness and favouritism rankles.

After some time not seeing much/any of my family, I've begun to meet up with her for the occasional coffee. I keep having to remember we are essentially, very different people.

I think the John Waters quote resonated with me because I can, sometimes find the above quite hard, even though I know she would help if I asked/was in trouble...ergo, maybe I'm an asshole....but, unlike Waters, I'm still reasonably sexy  8)

theonlywayisup

« Reply #41 on: Jun 02, 2016, 08:00:55 PM »
Well, for a start, I would remove the word maybe.

If you want to know why, it's because only an asshole would say what you did the other day.

You left me feeling like I am not ok and I should not be the way I am. Luckily this feeling did not last for long. My post was not dramatic. I cannot stand cruelty to animals and this goes on all day, every day and it gets to me so much that I can barely stand it. I can never feel totally relaxed in my life again because the things that go on in this world are never far from my mind even though I try everything I can to forget about it.

So yes, sometimes I get fed up with the human race and I may choose to express that here and I do not deserve for you to reply to my posts telling me that I am very dramatic and that it is only ok to be that way if I am a young person. I don't reply to your posts with personal attacks so I will kindly ask that you don't do it to my posts in future. I have seen far more dramatic posts on gb than the one I made and I did not see you pipe in and tell them their words are only ok if they are young. Did you even stop to think what the result would be if I was not young? Obviously not.

As you are a mother, I can only sincerely hope that you don't casually throw comments like that at your children. It's not the first time you have made some silly and immature comment directed at me and for someone who says that it's only ok for young people to be dramatic or to speak the way I do, then I would assume a more mature person such as yourself would know better than to throw negative and personal comments at people.

You are not new to gb. Do you really think I need your negativity. Does anyone need it?

dukovearl

« Reply #42 on: Jun 02, 2016, 08:37:23 PM »
I spent 2 hours with my mother today. It was OK, I expected little and that's what I got. She accepted a bag of rhubarb, let me buy her coffee and biscuits, grumbled a bit and liked my new phone in a covetous way. I didn't give it to her.

The only way for me to expect as little as I get is to not go to her house or engage emotionally at all. There is still a part of me that wants things to be better and I would like my brother to understand my position, but he doesn't. My sisters do, but then, they don't see mum at all and haven't for many years.

Offline nismat

• Gingerbeer Devotee
« Reply #43 on: Jun 02, 2016, 09:15:36 PM »

Indeed. What a lovely thought. Photos etc gratefully received.

Hehehe.

That's only for a very select few

Offline nismat

• Gingerbeer Devotee
« Reply #44 on: Jun 02, 2016, 09:17:56 PM »
I spent 2 hours with my mother today. It was OK, I expected little and that's what I got. She accepted a bag of rhubarb, let me buy her coffee and biscuits, grumbled a bit and liked my new phone in a covetous way. I didn't give it to her.

The only way for me to expect as little as I get is to not go to her house or engage emotionally at all. There is still a part of me that wants things to be better and I would like my brother to understand my position, but he doesn't. My sisters do, but then, they don't see mum at all and haven't for many years.

Glad to hear it was OK, in a non-expecting way.
Hope that the rhubarb doesn't rot!