Author Topic: So... Labour..  (Read 82646 times)

Offline Jane66

• Gingerbeer Newbie
  • Gingerbeer.co.uk - The Lesbian Guide
Re: So... Labour..
« Reply #1530 on: Mar 11, 2018, 10:30:32 AM »
Drying dishes with a cloth is unhygienic.

So I am a feminist opposed to tea towels and to dish drying.

Offline Slantrhyme

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #1531 on: Mar 11, 2018, 12:21:48 PM »
^so how in that case should one dry the dishes? Bearing in mind that I don’t have a dishwasher, and a dishwasher is a bourgeois luxury and a symbol of inequality in itself.
« Last Edit: Mar 11, 2018, 12:23:48 PM by Slantrhyme »
the summer is ended and we are not yet saved

Offline Betty Croker

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #1532 on: Mar 11, 2018, 01:09:44 PM »
Drying dishes with a cloth is unhygienic.

So I am a feminist opposed to tea towels and to dish drying.

Well, If you class that as being “ideologically opposed” good for you.

I use mine more as a temporary oven glove, truth be told but I love a bit of diversity.
And now I know how Joan of Arc felt.......

Offline Slantrhyme

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #1533 on: Mar 11, 2018, 01:50:25 PM »
^Where are your Joy Division oven gloves?
the summer is ended and we are not yet saved

Offline Betty Croker

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #1534 on: Mar 11, 2018, 04:12:32 PM »
That I would love to know.

Offline Lust for Life

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • deep down, I think I am an optimist ...
« Reply #1535 on: Mar 11, 2018, 11:29:06 PM »
^so how in that case should one dry the dishes? Bearing in mind that I don’t have a dishwasher, and a dishwasher is a bourgeois luxury and a symbol of inequality in itself.

Tbh I usually let my dishes drip/air dry, but I do use a tea towel for any remaining drips prior to putting stuff away.

Offline Betty Croker

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #1536 on: Mar 12, 2018, 01:42:35 AM »
I feel the urge to start yet another FB fan club for dear leader.

TEATOWELZ4JEZ

“Roll up, roll up, git yer Dianne Abbott dishcloths. Your St. Margaret A’ Beckett peg bags, your commemorative Robin Cook kitchen roll.”

Offline Lust for Life

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • deep down, I think I am an optimist ...
« Reply #1537 on: Mar 12, 2018, 09:11:11 AM »

TEATOWELZ4JEZ

“Roll up, roll up, git yer Dianne Abbott dishcloths. Your St. Margaret A’ Beckett peg bags, your commemorative Robin Cook kitchen roll.”

Shouldn't you call this group TEATOWELZ4JEZSWIFE?

Forget banking, all a woman needs is a nice teatowel.

Offline Earl

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #1538 on: Apr 09, 2018, 06:19:46 PM »

Where's the like button? If only for the sentiment?

<-- ie bourgeois unequalist with tea towels, too.

Nye Bevan, 'the NHS will exist for only as long as the people fight for it'...or something like that.

Offline Earl

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #1539 on: Apr 09, 2018, 06:21:45 PM »

TEATOWELZ4JEZ

Still this? Still?
Nye Bevan, 'the NHS will exist for only as long as the people fight for it'...or something like that.

Offline Quack

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #1540 on: Apr 27, 2018, 03:28:05 PM »
I've not been around for a while - I'm surprised not to find lots of Labour arguments on GB...

... so how are we all feeling about Corbyn and Labour these days?  ;D

Offline Blythe

• Isle of Man Debating Champion 1981
  • Gingerbeer Lifer
    • http://www.gaydargirls.co.uk/scripts/ndisplay.asp?userid=rebecca-is-out
« Reply #1541 on: Apr 27, 2018, 08:29:41 PM »
Christ. Where to start?

Obviously the denial of antisemitism is absolutely shaming.
Corbyn shrugged his shoulders when he met representatives from the Jewish community apparently.

But for me, his lies about promising to meet with women's groups over the self id issue and women's shortlists has led me to almost cut up my card. He is just a liar.

I've decided to stay only to keep fighting our corner. Many people have left and personally I feel that's giving the party to the lunatics. I'm staying until they chuck me out or they leave.

I'm spoiling my ballot this local election for the first time ever.
I can't vote for them while they won't even stick to their word.
'Someone take Blythe's mobile phone off her before she says something silly'           kitty

Offline Quack

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #1542 on: Apr 27, 2018, 09:19:34 PM »
Christ. Where to start?

Obviously the denial of antisemitism is absolutely shaming.
Corbyn shrugged his shoulders when he met representatives from the Jewish community apparently.

But for me, his lies about promising to meet with women's groups over the self id issue and women's shortlists has led me to almost cut up my card. He is just a liar.

I've decided to stay only to keep fighting our corner. Many people have left and personally I feel that's giving the party to the lunatics. I'm staying until they chuck me out or they leave.

I'm spoiling my ballot this local election for the first time ever.
I can't vote for them while they won't even stick to their word.

I'm struggling as well. I've also decided not to leave the party. Yet.

The thing that I'm finding difficult is the very simplistic good-vs-evil mentality and I think this drives many of the controversies surrounding the Labour Party.  Corbyn seems to categorise people and issues into 'good' and 'bad'. And the 'good' people are normally the underdogs. In Corbyn's world, if you are 'good' then you can do no wrong and if you are 'bad' then you can do no right.  And even worse if you try to say something against someone who has been classified as 'good' then you are the enemy. And if you dare to agree with someone who is classified as 'bad' then you're a traitor.

The world is a complicated place and this sort of thinking for a prime-minister-in-waiting is very dangerous.  As much as I dislike May and the Conservatives and the mess they are making with Brexit, I worry that Corbyn might be more dangerous for this country.

[...]

« Reply #1543 on: Apr 28, 2018, 12:44:11 AM »
I'll vote Labour, as ever, for all the usual reasons. They are not perfect and Corbyn is a liability but anything other than the LP is unbearable to contemplate.

Re the categorising of everything as good or bad, etc, I agree, but isn't criticising Corbyn and/or Labour as being less than perfect the same thing? Can anyone imagine the Windrush scandal unfolding as it has done under a Labour government? And if Corbyn is being held to account for antisemitism, by gentiles (because actually I think it more of a problem for non Jewish LP members), how much more should May and her government be accused of much more significant, institutional racism.

Or to put it differently; Corbyn has a lot of stupid theories which he tries to apply to real life and continually c0cks it up because life doesn't run according to a manifesto.

The Tories have deliberately destructive policies and the will to implement them.

I'll vote to try to keep them out and if that means voting for a party led by a fantasist whose main political skill seems to be looking after himself, that's the best deal available.

Edited to add: I expect from the 4th May onward there'll be reason enough for airing discontent on the internet, but before then, not such a great idea.
« Last Edit: Apr 28, 2018, 01:08:03 AM by the ganze metsieh »

Offline Quack

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #1544 on: Apr 28, 2018, 11:57:18 AM »
I'll vote Labour, as ever, for all the usual reasons. They are not perfect and Corbyn is a liability but anything other than the LP is unbearable to contemplate.

Re the categorising of everything as good or bad, etc, I agree, but isn't criticising Corbyn and/or Labour as being less than perfect the same thing? Can anyone imagine the Windrush scandal unfolding as it has done under a Labour government? And if Corbyn is being held to account for antisemitism, by gentiles (because actually I think it more of a problem for non Jewish LP members), how much more should May and her government be accused of much more significant, institutional racism.

Or to put it differently; Corbyn has a lot of stupid theories which he tries to apply to real life and continually c0cks it up because life doesn't run according to a manifesto.

The Tories have deliberately destructive policies and the will to implement them.

I'll vote to try to keep them out and if that means voting for a party led by a fantasist whose main political skill seems to be looking after himself, that's the best deal available.

I never said that I think everything Corbyn does/believes is wrong.  I voted for him the first time for leader because I wanted Labour's policies to move more to the left. I'm saying that his intransigent simplistic views on the world are dangerous. 

Edited to add: I expect from the 4th May onward there'll be reason enough for airing discontent on the internet, but before then, not such a great idea.

Surely the best time to discuss politics is just before an election?