Author Topic: So... Labour..  (Read 38761 times)

Offline Top

• Gingerbeer Goddess
Re: So... Labour..
« Reply #1500 on: Feb 25, 2017, 11:03:54 AM »
Well, it seems that the Corbynites were right about the polls being wrong, the 6.8% swing away from Labour was even bigger than any poll had suggested.

I'm reporting you to the mods for annoying me to the point where I become ill and have to take tranquillisers.  - Wolfie

Offline Earl

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • Gingerbeer.co.uk - The Lesbian Guide
« Reply #1501 on: Feb 25, 2017, 03:02:56 PM »
There's a petition doing the rounds to get him expelled from the Labour Party. Given last summer people were expelled for using the word 'Blairite' or for admitting to a liking for Nickleback (understandable) or whatever - well, he's got to go.

The petition. The underhand tactics of this man and other paid wreckers needs to stop.
https://www.change.org/p/labour-party-nec-expel-peter-mandelson-from-the-labour-party
Nye Bevan, 'the NHS will exist for only as long as the people fight for it'...or something like that.

Offline Earl

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #1502 on: Feb 25, 2017, 03:18:12 PM »

ETA interesting analysis of the results:
https://medium.com/mosquito-ridge/labour-won-stoke-jamie-reed-lost-copeland-b21b85662e9e#.9qbjyxsyv

Thanks for this.

Well, three cheers for the in-your-face removal of UKIP, right? Can I get an 'amen'?

As Mason says, despite Mandelson and others (and their well-funded anti-democratic antics) attempting to engineer losses in both by-elections, we won Stoke.
It's a shame about Copeland...a big shout out to all those here who helped, obviously.

Nye Bevan, 'the NHS will exist for only as long as the people fight for it'...or something like that.

Offline Earl

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #1503 on: Feb 26, 2017, 02:58:03 PM »
Tom Watson (deputy leader of the Labour Party) is enjoying 500, 000 for his own 'personal office' from well-known failed Tory MP, Max Moseley. Hmm.

Just how many lovely suits does Tom need? I didn't even know that individual labour MP's were allowed to have their own personal money for 'offices and projects'. I'm referring to the LP...obviously the Tories are always at it with the back handers.

Should this be allowed? And from the likes of Moseley, too? Just what do we think the lovely Tom will do with this wedge?

Offline Earl

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #1504 on: Feb 26, 2017, 03:06:12 PM »

Well, three cheers for the in-your-face removal of UKIP, right? Can I get an 'amen'?

Evidently, not.

Offline Medusa

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #1505 on: Feb 26, 2017, 06:45:47 PM »
You're talking about the Copeland seat? It's obviously better to have a Tory than an UKIP member but how can you spin this to suggest that it's a Labour success? And if that's not what you mean, why would you expect three cheers for it? I'm confused.
Every day is a bad hair day.

Offline Earl

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #1506 on: Feb 26, 2017, 07:16:23 PM »
^ maybe you are, at least I'm hoping it's just confusion. I think it was only the Stoke election was being billed as labour brought down by the exiter's champion, ukips? But was also all good to see them 4th in copeland, wasn't it? Wasn't it?

Offline Betty Croker's frosted buns

• Gingerbeer Scene Queen
« Reply #1507 on: Feb 26, 2017, 07:30:24 PM »
Why would a Labour supporter be cheering the fact that we lost a seat which had been held by Labour since the constituency was created in 1983 and which before that, when it was known as Whitehaven, had a Labour MP since 1935?

We now have one less Labour MP in the House of Commons because of Corbyn and his disconnecting of Labour from its traditional support.

Why the f"KC would any Labour supporter cheer that result?
« Last Edit: Feb 26, 2017, 07:32:15 PM by Betty Crokers buns of fun »

Offline Earl

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #1508 on: Feb 26, 2017, 07:32:22 PM »
Copeland election irregular and unlawful? There's missing information, this article suggests:

https://skwawkbox.org/2017/02/26/exclusive-electoral-expert-copeland-by-election-unlawful-count-suspect/

Also in Copeland, the preferred candidate, ex Sellafield employee, wife of a Sellafield employee, popular homeless worker and campaigner was, for some reason, not elected as the labour representative. Which seems a shame, really.

Also in Copeland, there were boundary change shenanigans which brought Tory Keswick into it's constituency.

I'm not saying any of this helped or hindered. But none was picked up in the press.

And it's not like there hasn't been enough coverage...Even the Guardian....front page, all of pages 4 and 5, some sniping p12, more than half the editorial, some letters, too....(not counting the bits I've missed) saying...guess what? And May looked impressive yadda, yadda, too.

Offline Earl

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #1509 on: Feb 26, 2017, 07:35:51 PM »
Why would a Labour supporter be cheering the fact that we lost a seat which had been held by Labour since the constituency was created in 1983 and which before that, when it was known as Whitehaven, had a Labour MP since 1935?

We now have one less Labour MP in the House of Commons because of Corbyn and his disconnecting of Labour from its traditional support.

Why the f"KC would any Labour supporter cheer that result?

I too am glad and relieved you're back after your 24 hours away, Betty. But are you sure you're rested enough?

• Gingerbeer Scene Queen
« Reply #1510 on: Feb 26, 2017, 07:42:14 PM »
I can always take a break when I've got 5 am starts at work, Earl.

It doesn't matter how much rest you get, you'll always be a moron.

Offline Earl

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #1511 on: Feb 26, 2017, 07:45:46 PM »
^ okey dokey....that's a whole sub-species up from 'holocaust denier' and 'anti-semite'. Innit.

• Gingerbeer Scene Queen
« Reply #1512 on: Feb 26, 2017, 07:46:58 PM »
^ okey dokey....that's a whole sub-species up from 'holocaust denier' and 'anti-semite'. Innit.

They are not mutually exclusive.

Offline the ganze metsieh

• Gingerbeer Scene Queen
« Reply #1513 on: Feb 26, 2017, 08:13:40 PM »
Earl, I agree with Medusa and Betty, what is there to cheer about? Could you explain please?

In place of a lengthy introduction, you once threw me a bouquet for a post I wrote about how the NHS was a cash cow. I was probably The Maven, noch einmal then, or I may have been The Saintly Genius.