Author Topic: So... Labour..  (Read 32209 times)

Offline Wolfgang

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • Gingerbeer.co.uk - The Lesbian Guide
Re: So... Labour..
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2016, 01:37:09 PM »
Labour increased their vote share....if repeated, it would win the general election. How should this be addressed? With applause?

Increased compared to what, sorry? 

dukovearl

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2016, 05:47:45 PM »
I'm not sure whether an accurate overall analysis of vote shares has even been done yet, though extrapolations have, trying to calculate what would have happened had all councils been voting etc and compare with 2015 - I have read 2 BBC figures, up 0.5% on 2015 and up 4% in key wards on 2015. In Cambridge the Labour share was up 8% and so on. I would really like it if the news gave us all the numbers and facts instead of opinion. I have said this before, I know.

Saga N

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2016, 10:04:22 PM »
I haven't watched or listened to the news in weeks and it's been good for my mental health. And my blood pressure.

Offline Earl

• Gingerbeer Diva
« Reply #18 on: Jun 24, 2016, 05:39:31 PM »
Re the referendum result and the proposed 'no confidence' process/blaming the leader of the Labour Party.

Since JC has been leader, Labour has won every single by-election.
Nye Bevan, 'the NHS will exist for only as long as the people fight for it'...or something like that.

Offline nismat

• Gingerbeer Devotee
« Reply #19 on: Jun 24, 2016, 06:14:44 PM »
Mass disillusionment with Labour was caused by centrist bloody Blair IMO. I'm not sure that Labour took a strong enough stance, but I think that they lost that huge tranche of working class vote long ago. Not through Corbyn.

Offline Aline

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #20 on: Jun 24, 2016, 07:06:13 PM »
Mass disillusionment with Labour was caused by centrist bloody Blair IMO. I'm not sure that Labour took a strong enough stance, but I think that they lost that huge tranche of working class vote long ago. Not through Corbyn.

I agree, nismat.

Today I decided to join the Labour Party. Go me.

Offline Quack

• Gingerbeer Goddess
So... Labour..
« Reply #21 on: Jun 25, 2016, 10:54:43 AM »
I think Labour has a long road ahead - they've lost Scotland to the SNP and parts of middle England to UKIP.  But as a result of yesterday's referendum, the U.K. may change. By 2020 we may find ourselves without Scotland (and even NI) and UKIP could go either way (become insignificant or gain even more ground). So who knows what will happen.

Regarding Corbyn, I like him, I voted for him and on a personal level would like him to be PM. I like that he sees the world in grey rather than black and white - 7.5 out of 10 in the EU seems like a realistic and honest position to me. Unfortunately, I think the majority of the public are looking for a dogmatic leader - seeing the world in grey is viewed as being indecisive and weak rather than reasoned and realistic. But currently, the only replacement, who is charismatic enough, that I can see is Sadiq Kahn and he's just started as Mayor of London and let's face it, this country is unlikely to vote for a Muslim PM anytime soon. :-/
« Last Edit: Jun 25, 2016, 11:02:32 AM by Quack »

Online Marty

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #22 on: Jun 25, 2016, 11:06:45 AM »
Jeremy Corbyn is giving a speech any minute now on Sky news.

dukovearl

« Reply #23 on: Jun 25, 2016, 04:53:08 PM »
I'm not sure that Corbyn's honesty is not appreciated by the public, I think people want trustworthiness every bit as much as dogma.

I don't even think it was charm, charisma or dogma from the Leave campaign which swayed the voters in the referendum. I believe it was the false assurances about the NHS and immigration, especially immigration.

Immigration is the elephant in the room and any party wanting the working class on their side has to address it. There is a difference between racism and xenophobia and the fears of some people are understandable in an economy relying on cheap Eastern European labour. The people are not wrong - this happens because our government allows zero hours contracts, turns a blind eye to 14 hour days, favours short term temporary contracts, forces the sale of social housing etc etc etc.

This has been a long time brewing and it is no coincidence that parts of the north where the coal and steel industries have been decimated without any viable alternative employment put in place voted against the government on something many of them see as primarily an immigration problem.

None of this is the fault of the actual immigrants, or of Corbyn or his supporters. Cameron, Blair and Thatcher have been responsible for destroying workers' lives. But, it needs to be talked about openly and honestly and real solutions for real people need to be found.

Offline Aline

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #24 on: Jun 26, 2016, 10:18:46 AM »
Judging by the fact that almost the entire Shadow cabinet will have resigned by the end of the day the PLP is pretty keen to see the back of JC now.

Personally I don't think there is any way he could lead Labour to a General Election victory. I have no idea who could actually, but someone has to grab this by the scruff and LEAD. A leader needs principles, compassion and vision, all of which he has of course but the necessary dynamism just isn't there.

dukovearl

« Reply #25 on: Jun 26, 2016, 10:58:16 AM »
Corbyn has always been a marked man within the PLP and although I believe this is more to do with his more leftward position than his dyamism, I have to concede that almost anything would be better than years of Boris and a divided opposition. Sadly, whoever wins the day will not have won the peace since the membership disagrees with half of their MPs.

Offline Aline

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #26 on: Jun 26, 2016, 11:03:55 AM »
I agree re the PLP not being remotely comfortable with Corbyn's leftward leanings, but in general the public (i.e. the voters) like a bit of dynamism and outward confidence in their leaders.

Saga N

« Reply #27 on: Jun 26, 2016, 01:02:26 PM »
How could Corbyn ever have been allowed to succeed? The Progress gang have been after him from day 1. The Labour Party is as riven as the country. This coup will solve nothing, because there's no one to replace him who has credence with the members. And, I would argue, no one who can speak to the lost Brexit voters who want to stick it to The Man. All the of the Labour shadow cabinet are The Man, except for Jeremy of course.

Hilary Benn is a disgrace. And has very helpfully caused a situation where there will be wrangling for months, instead of a united front and stability as the Tories combust.

« Last Edit: Jun 26, 2016, 01:16:54 PM by Saga N »

Offline Vagabond

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • 'I came to find my mind's disorder sacred' Rimbaud
« Reply #28 on: Jun 26, 2016, 01:16:26 PM »
I joined the labour party when JC was elected and shall resign if he goes. His decent and authenticity shines through and that is to be celebrated as a very rare thing indeed..I think he will do just fine against BJ.
I went on my way, fists in torn pockets;
My overcoat, too was turning into an idea...Rimbaud, MyBohemia.

Offline Earl

• Gingerbeer Diva
« Reply #29 on: Jun 26, 2016, 02:16:59 PM »
^most of this except I joined in order to vote to elect him. And, I think, given the opportunity, he would walk it.
Nye Bevan, 'the NHS will exist for only as long as the people fight for it'...or something like that.