Author Topic: Plastic surgery  (Read 730 times)

lil_moomin

Plastic surgery
« on: Apr 22, 2016, 11:17:42 AM »
What do you think about this? I mean plastic surgery for cosmetic purposes?

Do you think it's a shocking, stupid thing - an unnecessary surgery for cosmetic purposes and should be avoided at all costs? Or do you feel that people should be free to do whatever they want with their bodies, and if it's been something that's been bothering them for years or they're deeply unhappy with they should be free to change it?

Do you think that it's all a result of marketing and a deeper issue in society with a deep-seated unhappiness/criticism with how people look (e.g. women's magazines that criticise celebrities). So basically just a ploy to get people more unhappy with themselves and then fork out money on it.

Or do you think someone can actually benefit from it?

What about 'surgery-free' treatments?

Apparently the number of men having treatments is going up, and I wonder if it's linked to the shift in men's magazines and also things like social media.

I am so glad I'm not a teenager in today's world tbh.

Offline Trifle

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • Gingerbeer.co.uk - The Lesbian Guide
Re: Plastic surgery
« Reply #1 on: Apr 22, 2016, 08:23:15 PM »
I think all of those points are true. If you think about what cosmetic surgery actually is I do think it's a bit shocking and self harming. And it would be better if society wasn't the way it was but as this is what we currently have I would think if someone is that deeply unhappy, and the surgery could help that, then  they should be allowed to have it but I don't think multiple surgeries is a good idea.

I don't find the idea of surgery free treatment so worrying but to be honest I don't know much about it so don't know how invasive they are or if they have side effects. I know some people who have had fillers and they look very good so in this ageist society I guess why shouldn't they but I don't know enough about that side of things really.

I'm glad I'm not a teenager too, sounds very hard.

lil_moomin

« Reply #2 on: Apr 23, 2016, 11:16:19 AM »
Yep, the multiple surgeries aspect is a good point. I saw one article saying overall it's raising by about 17% a year. What concerned me a bit is I've noticed a lot of adverts on the TV who are using bloggers to promote it... and it seems they're targeting 18 year olds. In a way, the company appears to be trying to normalise it and promote it as something everyone has. However... that's just one company - as with everything I guess there are responsible and not so responsible ones.

I think I have different feelings on surgical vs non-surgical because I feel the implications of surgical can be a bit more serious on average.

Offline Suzi

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #3 on: Apr 23, 2016, 11:56:49 AM »
I don't have an issue with plastic surgery itself, but I do have a massive problem with the way it's sometimes advertised. For example, Mya. I find their adverts infuriating and massively irresponsible. It's just a bunch of very young, heavily made up women explaining how having breast implants have transformed their lives and how happy it's made them. Makes my blood boil! Seriously, what is that teaching young, possibly insecure girls?! If they weren't insecure before being drip fed these kind of images, they are now!

I worry so much for my daughter. Sometimes I wish we could fly off to another planet, where individuality is genuinely celebrated.

Offline Trifle

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #4 on: Apr 23, 2016, 11:58:36 AM »
Wow 17%.
Have you seen the advert (I think it's for lipstick or some type of make up) with an Amercan voice over declaring cheerfully "Now surgery can wait!". As if it's implying everyone will need it in the end but their miraculous products can put it off. I thought that was pretty shocking.

Offline Trifle

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #5 on: Apr 23, 2016, 12:02:05 PM »
Ive not seen that advert, Suzi. It sounds very bad.

Offline Suzi

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #6 on: Apr 23, 2016, 12:40:49 PM »
It IS bad. I would ban it if I had the power.

I've seen the advert you're talking about and I thought exactly the same. Like surgery is inevitable for all of us!

lil_moomin

« Reply #7 on: Apr 24, 2016, 10:26:27 AM »
The mya adverts are really annoying. Even the name is (Make Yourself Amazing) - implying people aren't amazing before.

I don't think adverts should play on insecurities. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be as effective as a positive advert anyway, although who knows. This isn't limited to cosmetic surgery though... there are loads of guilt-trippy adverts out there.