Author Topic: Mädchen in Uniform + Discussion - 30th March @Cinema Museum, 7pm  (Read 845 times)

Offline Zeb

• Gingerbeer Diva
ReShape and the Cinema Museum are proud to present a rare screening of Mädchen in Uniform as part of The VITO Project, a series of free monthly screenings bringing generations of LGBTs together to provide an alternative space to mix, watch films and share ideas.

Mädchen in Uniform is a 1931 German feature-length film based on the play Gestern und heute (Yesterday and Today) by Christa Winsloe and directed by Leontine Sagan.
The film was groundbreaking in a number of ways: firstly for its all-female cast; secondly for its sympathetic portrayal of lesbian "pedagogical eros" and homoeroticism revolving around the passionate love of Manuela, a fourteen-year-old (Hertha Thiele) for her teacher (Dorothea Wieck); and thirdly for its co-operative and profit-sharing financial arrangements (although in practice these ultimately failed).
The film generated large amounts of fan mail to the stars from all over Germany and was considered a success throughout much of Europe.
Later, an alternate ending which subtly pandered to pro-Nazi ideals enabled continued screening in German cinemas, but eventually even this version of the film was banned as 'decadent' by the Nazi regime, which reportedly attempted to burn all of the existing prints. Sagan and many others associated with the film fled Germany soon after the banning. Many of the cast and crew were Jewish, and those who could not escape from Germany died in the camps.
Prints of the film survived the war, but was heavily censored until the 1970s. The film remains an international cult classic

The post-screening discussion will be led by Erica Carter, Professor of German and Film at King's College and leading member of the German Screen Studies Network and Muffin Hix, BFI Flare film Programmer and Fringe Queer Film and Arts Fest Organiser.

Doors to the cafe/bar will open at 6pm for a 7pm screening.
These screenings can get very busy so come in early to secure a place. We do not take bookings.
The event is free but donations are encouraged

All future showings in the series will be the last Wednesday of the month
Support bacteria - they're the only culture some people have.

Offline aliceb

• Gingerbeer Goddess
Re: Mädchen in Uniform + Discussion - 30th March @Cinema Museum, 7pm
« Reply #1 on: Mar 17, 2016, 10:13:37 PM »
i've seen it - great film!

Offline Earl

• Gingerbeer Diva
  • Gingerbeer.co.uk - The Lesbian Guide
« Reply #2 on: Mar 27, 2016, 09:05:59 AM »
I haven't seen the film....it sounds interesting. I can contribute rien to the discussion, but will come along, if I can. The building the cinema is housed in looks looks interesting, too. I do love a good workhouse.
Nye Bevan, 'the NHS will exist for only as long as the people fight for it'...or something like that.

Offline Zeb

• Gingerbeer Diva
« Reply #3 on: Mar 28, 2016, 02:54:19 PM »
I haven't seen the film....it sounds interesting. I can contribute rien to the discussion, but will come along, if I can. The building the cinema is housed in looks looks interesting, too. I do love a good workhouse.

Do come if you can, the Cinema is a fantastic place! The discussions following are usually good fun and you can just sit back and enjoy or even leave after the film (although you will be missing out!). I will be on the door so feel free to introduce yourself if you want, and same go for any other attending beeries!

Offline Earl

• Gingerbeer Diva
« Reply #4 on: Mar 28, 2016, 03:26:04 PM »
I'm having to drive in....is there anywhere thereabouts I can park? And I will say hello....I'll be coming on my own unless anyone here would like to join me?
Nye Bevan, 'the NHS will exist for only as long as the people fight for it'...or something like that.

Offline aliceb

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #5 on: Mar 28, 2016, 06:54:31 PM »
i am planning to join u with another beerie so see u then

this was sent to the hiking dykes mailing list too and i suspect it might be quite busy so i must try to get there early!  8)

earl if u want to look out for me i can put on here what i am wearing Wednesday morning if u like?

zeb, if i remember i will let u know its me when i come in!
« Last Edit: Mar 28, 2016, 06:56:07 PM by aliceb »

Offline Earl

• Gingerbeer Diva
« Reply #6 on: Mar 28, 2016, 07:08:53 PM »
Hey Alice B, that would be fab. I look forward to meeting you both. Yay.

Offline Zeb

• Gingerbeer Diva
« Reply #7 on: Mar 29, 2016, 06:17:32 PM »
Do come early, it can get very very busy and once full, the doors are closed and no one else is admitted.

Re, Parking:
Cycle parking provided. Limited parking is available at the Museum. The Museum is within the Congestion Charging zone, which operates until 6pm Mon-Fri. After 6.30pm and at weekends there is free parking in surrounding streets.

Offline aliceb

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #8 on: Mar 30, 2016, 08:28:40 AM »
dark hair, glasses, red bag, black trousers, lime green cardie, dark hooded jacket

wont have internet access today now

Offline aliceb

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #9 on: Mar 30, 2016, 11:22:09 PM »
thanks zeb, great film, even better than i remembered and what a great space/event

i will be back soon!