Author Topic: Depression and suicide  (Read 894 times)

sploatee

Depression and suicide
« on: Nov 22, 2015, 05:32:12 AM »
Has anybody else here struggled with this?

How did you get through it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slantrhyme

Re: Depression and suicide
« Reply #1 on: Nov 22, 2015, 10:37:21 AM »
Yep, loads. Tried to kill myself twice. Once in February 2013 and again about a year ago.
I'm bipolar so hypomania and depression are regular  occurrences  for me.
 It's been very hard, but after a couple of years of fighting, I'm finally getting treated.   

sploatee

« Reply #2 on: Nov 28, 2015, 12:32:42 AM »
I'm really glad to hear that, Slantrhyme. My dad is bipolar. It's not easy.

I've been diagnosed with "recurrent depressive disorder", whatever that means. It seems that I'm naturally quite an anxious and sensitive person and I end up turning on myself very easily.

I did try and kill myself back in July, woke up in hospital the next day and I've been trying to find a way to survive ever since. Probably my most serious attempt although I've flirted with it plenty since my teens.

What do you do when the depression comes? My therapist has suggested I take steps to ground myself by close reading or listening to things so I don't spin out and end up in the mire.

Offline Suzi

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • Gingerbeer.co.uk - The Lesbian Guide
« Reply #3 on: Nov 28, 2015, 12:48:53 PM »
I've had depression on and off since I was 12. At my worst, I would stay indoors for days and keep the curtains drawn. This was when I was very young though. I've had therapy 3 times and I can manage it more these days. It's a horrible thing and whereas, yes, the stigma has been lifted somewhat over the years, there are still some people who just don't believe in it. The 'just snap out of it..I don't have time to be depressed...just be happy' brigade. Most of it is just pure ignorance, but it can still make me mad. My ex for example, used to ask how I could be depressed if I could sometimes go out and have a laugh  ??? Doesn't work that way, but people who haven't experienced it, just don't understand.