Author Topic: How to get out of an agreement  (Read 627 times)

Offline Magicmushroom84

• Gingerbeer Newbie
  • I just want to be wonderful
How to get out of an agreement
« on: Nov 16, 2015, 09:45:11 PM »
Hi I got my social worker license in August and applied for jobs and got offered a job as a NQ with the older adults team (first interview)- it was not a field I wanted to work in but a job is a job.  The travelling is far, but being new to the social work market I took what was offered- as suggested by my tutors at University who always said jobs were scarce and to take what was offered.

I had not heard from other jobs so I went ahead and accepted this job and got clearance and a start date.

Anyhow, I got an interview with Leaving Care Team (this is my field, the one I want to work in more than anything in the world and a vacancy became available at a borough close to where I live- I did this as part of my placement but due to financial constraints Brent did not offer me a job) ....so I thought, just give it a go and see what happens- and low and behold, I got offered the post (I can talk about LC till the cows come home) :P

So I am in a dilemma.....I haven't signed anything but the contract which was emailed to me says there is nothing to sign.  I really want to work in LC (and the pay is higher too!!)......but how can I get out of the first job when the start date is 1 week away? ??? ??? ??? ???

Any advice will be greatly appreciated :-*

Thank you!
A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous.

Coco Chanel

Offline Amphelise

• Gingerbeer Goddess
    • Christine, Wondering
Re: How to get out of an agreement
« Reply #1 on: Nov 16, 2015, 10:36:12 PM »
You just call them up, apologise profusely, and explain that your dream job came up. It happens all the time. They'll be disappointed and a bit annoyed, but that's their feelings to manage. They'll cope.
"Well, at least I'm not a time-traveling, shape-shifting robot operated by miniaturized cross people. Which I've got to admit, I didn't see coming." ~ The Doctor

Offline sally33

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #2 on: Nov 16, 2015, 10:42:57 PM »
You just call them up, apologise profusely, and explain that your dream job came up. It happens all the time. They'll be disappointed and a bit annoyed, but that's their feelings to manage. They'll cope.

Indeed! Go for your dream job - you'll regret it if you don't, Might feel a bit uncomfortable initially telling the first people you don't want the job but that feeling will be gone shortly.
"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes. ~ William Gibson

Offline Magicmushroom84

• Gingerbeer Newbie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 16, 2015, 10:49:34 PM »
Thank you....but really? ???
they wont sue me for breach of contract?? :o

Coco Chanel

Offline Amphelise

• Gingerbeer Goddess
    • Christine, Wondering
« Reply #4 on: Nov 16, 2015, 10:57:04 PM »
Thank you....but really? ???
they wont sue me for breach of contract?? :o

Haha, no. You can quit a job, it's not a legally binding contract that you can't get out of - especially before you've started! It'll be fine.
"Well, at least I'm not a time-traveling, shape-shifting robot operated by miniaturized cross people. Which I've got to admit, I didn't see coming." ~ The Doctor

Offline Magicmushroom84

• Gingerbeer Newbie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 16, 2015, 11:05:18 PM »
wow thanks...had been having sleepless nights about being sued  :'(

much appreciated :):)

Coco Chanel

Offline Amphelise

• Gingerbeer Goddess
    • Christine, Wondering
« Reply #6 on: Nov 16, 2015, 11:09:18 PM »
wow thanks...had been having sleepless nights about being sued  :'(

much appreciated :):)

Oh, bless your heart! Relax and sleep well tonight :) The worst that can happen is that someone is a bit nasty to you over the phone... that's totally survivable. Then it'll be over and you'll have your dream job! And someone else who needed a job with the other lot will be getting a phone call they didn't expect.

Offline Tante Ella

• Gingerbeer Newbie
  • Funny introvert
« Reply #7 on: Nov 17, 2015, 05:00:42 PM »
....I haven't signed anything but the contract which was emailed to me says there is nothing to sign.  I really want to work in LC (and the pay is higher too!!)......
I would insist in properly signed contracts for that new opportunity though, especially when leaving a job already offered.