Author Topic: Back packer must haves  (Read 1577 times)

Offline Muddles

• Won the 800m dash in 1998 then took an ambulance to the local hospital. gave up running and found cake!
  • Gingerbeer Goddess
  • Do. Or do not. There is no try!
Back packer must haves
« on: Aug 30, 2015, 10:36:04 AM »
Need a little help with essentials with back packing essentials please list anything that's not on the list.

I will be backpacking round the Australian coast line in the summer for a whole year and will journey across the nullarbor plain to Perth then the western territory across to the Northern Territory and back to sunny Queensland down through carnis and home.

While on the move I will be farming and checking in to a few campsites and woofing posts, so I need all the essentials possible to make the journey, I do have a car but with 400,000 miles on the clock I do not know how long it will
Last, so I need to be very prepared.

Tent
Floor mat
Sleeping bag
Compas
GPs emitter
Dry food
Electrolyte sachets
Fire starter magnesium strips
Magnifying glass
10Ltr water drum
Tooth brush
Tooth paste
Organic Soaps
First aide kit
Solar panel charger

Additional add on's

Wet wipes - Mzb

Also can anyone shine some light on shewees?
« Last Edit: Sep 06, 2015, 12:52:31 PM by Muddles »
I will always bear that pearl of wisdom in mind, Muddles.

Online MzB

• Gingerbeer Goddess
Re: Back packer must haves
« Reply #1 on: Aug 30, 2015, 11:40:19 AM »
Wet wires which can double up as toilet wipes.

Offline Muddles

• Won the 800m dash in 1998 then took an ambulance to the local hospital. gave up running and found cake!
  • Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #2 on: Aug 30, 2015, 12:38:56 PM »
 ;D haha electrical wires? Mzb  :-*

Online MzB

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #3 on: Aug 30, 2015, 05:52:02 PM »
Wipes! But maybe wires too for a dull moment x

Offline Bewilderbeast

• Gingerbeer Scene Queen
« Reply #4 on: Sep 04, 2015, 03:41:53 PM »
It would be easier to advise on essentials if you tell us what kind of trip this will be, ie is this walking holiday camping in different place each night with no campsite facilities or driving to campsite with shower where you stay for a few days (or indeed any other kind of camping situation). What you will need and can manage to bring with you will vary massively in those situations.

My top tip for any kind of camping though is a head torch, essential for night time peeing and finding stuff in the tent leaving your hands free.

Offline bikegrrl

• Gingerbeer Diva
« Reply #5 on: Sep 04, 2015, 11:36:25 PM »
i'm assuming that if you're 'backpacking' you're not driving from place to place.

at least one candle. sometimes you want flame not just torch light. and the wax can also come in useful if you're trying to light a fire with damp stuff (paraffin wax is the same stuff used to make 'fire lighters'. and a lighter.

sharp knife of some kind.

needle and thread/ dental floss

a fabric pillow case can be really useful - you can stuff it with clothes and use it as a pillow - or use it as a bag to carry laundry etc around

paper maps - don't rely on some gps gadget or your phone to always work

at least one pair of socks that are always kept dry/ in a waterproof bag. so that if you get soaked, once you've got the tent up you can get/ keep your feet cosy

shee pee devices can be really useful, depending on where you are. and some toilet paper that isn't a wet wipe. small (tough plastic is lightest) garden trowel, if you're digging your own toilet holes!

plastic basin/ large bowl - multiple uses, incl as a makeshift fridge with some cold water in it, very light to carry

Offline Grey

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • old school old butch
« Reply #6 on: Sep 05, 2015, 01:20:37 AM »
I never thought of a head torch

I can recommend a freshette-it's a stupid name and so is the website-but the product is excellent
hospital grade plastic and comes with different lengths of tubing so it can be used in a kayak or canoe or into a bag or bottle
any urinary device is going to help you stay hydrated because you don't have to worry about finding some place to go

go downhill and gauge for wind
the first time I used it and mentioned to my son about realising about wind direction he gave me his well practiced-"I'm denying I'm related to you if asked" look

Offline B.O.B.

• "Going out with the most gorgeous Beerie"
  • GB Testers
  • Gingerbeer Devotee
  • Don the tache!
« Reply #7 on: Sep 08, 2015, 08:55:03 PM »
Water purifier / tablets
Swiss Army Knife
Mosquito net
Energy tablets
Microfibre towel
.... which is nice.

Offline PushingThru

• (yep)
  • Gingerbeer Goddess
  • Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
« Reply #8 on: Sep 12, 2015, 06:12:53 PM »
Need a little help with essentials with back packing essentials please list anything that's not on the list.

I will be backpacking round the Australian coast line in the summer for a whole year and will journey across the nullarbor plain to Perth then the western territory across to the Northern Territory and back to sunny Queensland down through carnis and home.

While on the move I will be farming and checking in to a few campsites and woofing posts, so I need all the essentials possible to make the journey, I do have a car but with 400,000 miles on the clock I do not know how long it will
Last, so I need to be very prepared.

Tent
Floor mat
Sleeping bag
Compas
GPs emitter
Dry food
Electrolyte sachets
Fire starter magnesium strips
Magnifying glass
10Ltr water drum
Tooth brush
Tooth paste
Organic Soaps
First aide kit
Solar panel charger

Additional add on's

Wet wipes - Mzb

Also can anyone shine some light on shewees?

Hey Muddles,

Are you relying on your phone for navigation or will you be working solely from maps? Haven't ever gone anywhere as far as Australia but in the UK reception can sometimes be patchy. How are you going to get the car from A to B if you are backpacking?

No one is obliged to write in ways that appeal to everyone else - we're not paying for the user content. If you don't like it skim past it.

Offline Muddles

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #9 on: Sep 16, 2015, 01:24:57 PM »
Thank you all for your input I've brought all that was mentioned in your post and jotted down advice in my travel diary  :)

Snippy

I've got road maps and a sat nav for back up as mobile data is hit and miss in most parts of Australia
The car is to get me as far as the Nullabor, I might have to swap for a 4x4 as its a massive dirt road that leads for miles.

I should be okay sleeping in the car if I can't find a safe place to pitch a tent for the night or couple of weeks, to get money I will working farms and doing the picking, packing and all things farmy

I leave This Friday which I think is the Uk's Thursday.

:)

Offline Muddles

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #10 on: Sep 16, 2015, 01:28:39 PM »
Random Koala - Australia zoo

I got to visit the hospital to and a British couple rescued a koala and got to name her so they called her paloma faith haha.

The pic is not paloma.

Ong Bak

« Reply #11 on: Sep 17, 2015, 06:10:30 PM »
^ ;D