Author Topic: the last lesbian bars  (Read 3450 times)

Offline restlesspilgrim

• Gingerbeer Diva
  • Gingerbeer.co.uk - The Lesbian Guide
Re: the last lesbian bars
« Reply #15 on: Sep 10, 2015, 09:43:26 PM »
This is something that has bothered me. On the one hand, I don't go out to any bars much, because frankly I can't afford it. On the other hand, on the occasions I do want to go out, there's no way I'd want to spend the evening in a bar full of men and straight couples. It's just so alienating. I'd like to support the bars we do have, but I don't have the money. And unless I start to conform to cisheteronormative image enough to get a decent job, I'm not likely to. Catch 22.

Slantrhyme

« Reply #16 on: Sep 11, 2015, 11:04:22 AM »
We have two gay pubs in Oxford, both are pretty friendly but mainly frequented by men, or at least the main clique is men. There used to be a lesbian bar, The  brewery Gate, but it closed down because it didn't make enough money. Rent too high, not enough people used it, and that part of the city was redeveloped, and that area turned into fancy flats.   Sounds pretty typical of what's been going on all over.   

Offline Grey

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • old school old butch
« Reply #17 on: Sep 11, 2015, 12:28:38 PM »
Lesbians don't have the money! and we have more expense with usually having custody of the kids lower paying jobs and so on
We might work together as queer community for rights for all
But in the end the men always benefit to a hugely disparate degree and that never ever gets addressed 

I see The Vauxhall Tavern got it's Grade II !
« Last Edit: Sep 11, 2015, 12:57:16 PM by Grey »

OnMyWay

« Reply #18 on: Sep 13, 2015, 10:17:06 AM »
Yes I'm very pleased with the latest news from the Royal Vauxhall Tavern.  Still a long way to go to keep it safe but a massively positive step in that direction.

I go there fairly often for Bar Wotever on a Tuesday evening.

I believe other nights are quite  dominated by gay men, but on a Tuesday night there are usually more women than any other gender group.

I've seen some mindblowingly briliantly performers there (especially since they started auditioning them first  ;)) but I also like it for the friendly community vibe, the community news part of the evening, and the fact that they fund a safe-house for LGBTQ in Uganda from the money they raise each week.  Good ethics and attitude as well as lot's of fun.

Offline aphrodisiac

• Gingerbeer Newbie
  • Gingerbeer.co.uk - The Lesbian Guide
« Reply #19 on: Oct 05, 2015, 04:23:01 PM »
I'd like to know where they are.

oldsoul

« Reply #20 on: Nov 11, 2015, 05:30:09 PM »
So what happened to the Angel in Islington? That was quite lively in the early nineties I recall. Is it still there and open?

Offline pathpink

• Gingerbeer Scene Queen
« Reply #21 on: Nov 11, 2015, 07:13:58 PM »
I'd like to know where they are.

Bar Titania, Charing Cross Road - good crowd and not all younger women! There are a couple of others around Soho, She bar, Muse to name two more.

Offline aliceb

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #22 on: Nov 11, 2015, 09:12:16 PM »
So what happened to the Angel in Islington? That was quite lively in the early nineties I recall. Is it still there and open?

no it closed down years ago

inevitably for London it is now expensive flats

silverchic

« Reply #23 on: Dec 03, 2015, 02:21:12 PM »

no it closed down years ago

inevitably for London it is now expensive flats

Omg,  now I really do feel old. Sad to hear this but I guess time moves on (and leaves me behind)....

lil_moomin

« Reply #24 on: Feb 01, 2016, 10:22:32 AM »
Where I live there's one lesbian pub and I'd be incredibly sad if it shut, despite only going maybe once a year... (unfortunately it takes an hour to get there and doesn't feel a very safe journey). Plus I simply haven't been out into the city much recently.

The reason being, whenever I've gone in it feels like going home. I don't have to be on guard for stupid shit from men, unlike other pubs (putting their hands on me, stupid conversations with one thing in mind, I don't want to talk to them), can genuinely relax, they have a beautiful walled garden at the back and the people who run it are so welcoming and genuinely care about the community.

Well, this reminds me to get myself there once the weather perks up!! :)

Offline PushingThru

• (yep)
  • Gingerbeer Goddess
  • Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
« Reply #25 on: Feb 01, 2016, 01:32:17 PM »
It's the same here.
It's a combination of factors but male privilege is key. 
There are no safe women's spaces.

The problem as I see it is as soon as safe women's spaces are created, everyone seems to want access to them. Why? Look at the uproar when Jeremy Corbyn suggested women only carriages (which was I believe a request from someone who wanted them).
No one is obliged to write in ways that appeal to everyone else - we're not paying for the user content. If you don't like it skim past it.

Offline aliceb

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #26 on: Feb 01, 2016, 02:03:46 PM »
my argument always is - there are men only places on the gay scene in London. i really dont have a problem with that and wouldnt want to go there anyway. i guess all of them are very sexualised (is that the word?) places and i can fully understand why gay men want to go somewhere where it is only other men who are interested in men.

i dont suppose gay guys that frequent those places would have any problems with women only spaces (that would be a bit hypocritical) so why is there an issue with anyone? do people mind the fact there are gay male only spaces? u never hear that they do as why should they?

that doesn't mean i want everywhere on the scene to be completely segregated places. there should be space on the scene for men only, women only and mixed places. i like the places that are LGBT but genuinely mixed and women friendly and that dont attract seedy straight people (retro bar is the only place that comes to mind in London now)

however i also think that one of the big reasons why even a city like London doesnt have women only bars anymore is financial. not enough women go out to them on a regular basis for it to be viable.

bit of a catch 22 situation. to make them popular they'd have to be in central london so women east, west, north and south can get there easily, but its getting ever more difficult to keep a bar going in central london for financial reasons.

there are plenty of meetup groups that are men only (for gay and bi men) and women only (ditto). and i guess no one has an issue with that.
« Last Edit: Feb 01, 2016, 02:10:24 PM by aliceb »

Offline Elina

• Gingerbeer Scene Queen
« Reply #27 on: Apr 19, 2016, 10:08:59 PM »
I tried dressing up in a moustache at a drag king event and loved it... I'd so be up for a Blackpool workshop.

On the topic of lesbian bars, I refer (as so often these days) to Buzzfeed...

http://www.buzzfeed.com/eleanormargolis/these-are-the-hottest-new-london-nightspots-for-queer-women#.viwMX7QLk

lil_moomin

« Reply #28 on: Apr 21, 2016, 10:15:24 AM »
alice, I think you hit the nail on the head. I think a lot of it's financial. Possibly the main reason it keeps going here is that pubs can not be open in the day (say open at 6-7pm) and still survive. I can only imagine the rents for premises in central London! I'd imagine they have to be open in the day at times other than weekends to survive? The one here is often really busy on Friday and the weekends, but not busy at other times (in fact I'm not sure if it's open on some evenings). However they also do lots of community events - charity events, BBQs, that kind of thing. So I think they pull people in who maybe wouldn't want to be there in the evening/weekend otherwise.

Offline aliceb

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #29 on: Apr 21, 2016, 08:35:47 PM »
I tried dressing up in a moustache at a drag king event and loved it... I'd so be up for a Blackpool workshop.

On the topic of lesbian bars, I refer (as so often these days) to Buzzfeed...

http://www.buzzfeed.com/eleanormargolis/these-are-the-hottest-new-london-nightspots-for-queer-women#.viwMX7QLk

i've been to unskinny bop but didnt like the music much, however i'd try it again. i like pink glove, which is mixed and in Dalston. its monthly.

the others in the article sound way too hip and young for me tho i'd give them a whirl if i had someone to go with as id probably enjoy the music and they are quite near me.

but they are hardly regular nights, either monthly, every third month or once a year! and in small basements! however, cant complain as what we have in London is better than most places i guess.