Author Topic: Do you think your relationship might be toxic?  (Read 1230 times)

Slantrhyme

Do you think your relationship might be toxic?
« on: Jul 21, 2015, 04:11:09 PM »
 Somebody posted this up on Facebook and I thought it was interesting, so I thought I'd share it with you.

http://everydayfeminism.com/2015/07/toxic-partner-questions-to-ask/
When thinking about my previous relationship, I got four negative answers out of five, which is a bit scary really. 
Thinking about my current relationship, I can see areas that we could work on. Not massive things, just little things like  how we could communicate better, listen to and speak to each other with more understanding. 

sploatee

Re: Do you think your relationship might be toxic?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 22, 2015, 10:02:59 PM »
Thank you for sharing this. I'm on roughly 3 out of 5, but I'm not sure it reflects my partner that much - I'm sure if I called her out on something, she'd back down or adjust it a little.

I'm already mega-confused about my relationship, so this adds to it I guess. Interesting read, though.

Slantrhyme

« Reply #2 on: Oct 26, 2015, 11:50:09 AM »
Sorry  :-\
 I tried to look at it as things that maybe we could work on, rather than trying to catalogue everything that's wrong.  I'm very good at putting a negative spin on things. I tear myself up with self-loathing most of the time,  but that would seem rather unfair to my girlfriend, Who is one half of our relationship,  and it's probably unfair  to myself as well if the truth be told.     

Offline PushingThru

• (yep)
  • Gingerbeer Goddess
  • Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
« Reply #3 on: Dec 19, 2015, 11:04:09 PM »
Somebody posted this up on Facebook and I thought it was interesting, so I thought I'd share it with you.

http://everydayfeminism.com/2015/07/toxic-partner-questions-to-ask/
When thinking about my previous relationship, I got four negative answers out of five, which is a bit scary really. 
Thinking about my current relationship, I can see areas that we could work on. Not massive things, just little things like  how we could communicate better, listen to and speak to each other with more understanding. 

This is really useful. Thank you :)
No one is obliged to write in ways that appeal to everyone else - we're not paying for the user content. If you don't like it skim past it.

Offline valerie

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • Gingerbeer.co.uk - The Lesbian Guide
« Reply #4 on: Jan 30, 2016, 01:59:46 PM »
been there; done that…it's been a handicap. In a relationship now & seems to be quite non-toxic. 
accept what is,let go of what was and have  faith in what will be

Daffodil

« Reply #5 on: Jan 30, 2016, 02:39:28 PM »
Any kind of relationship can be toxic.  Doesn't have to be a partner.

dukovearl

« Reply #6 on: Jan 30, 2016, 06:09:44 PM »
My relationship with my mother is currently toxic.

Slantrhyme

« Reply #7 on: Feb 03, 2016, 05:24:12 PM »
^  oh dear, your marathon effort cleaning the house didn't go down too well then?

dukovearl

« Reply #8 on: Feb 03, 2016, 06:03:48 PM »
Nope, 'fraid not. She kicked me out of her house last week, with much shouting and swearing (not from me, I was quiet as a mouse) for gently mentioning the new growing pile of old newspapers.

Slantrhyme

« Reply #9 on: Feb 03, 2016, 06:10:01 PM »
 Oh god, how galling.
Still, sometimes you just have to accept the fact that some things you just can't change, and you either have to let it slide or walk away.