Author Topic: Advice on setting up a blog.  (Read 572 times)

Lydia

Advice on setting up a blog.
« on: Jul 11, 2015, 05:32:38 AM »
I have located a website on how to setup a blog. As a technophobe, I am a bit hesitant of this. I have read the opening section of this website, about the need for a Domain Name(?) for your blog.

Am just wondering, if anyone can advice me on this. I am setting up this blog, initially to try and connect with like-minded souls online, but my eventual aim is to market and sell ebook/s and film scripts that I am developing via this blog.

With this in mind, can anyone suggest the most acceptable Domain Name(?) that I could choose to try and encourage potential e-readers to visit my blog and maybe gain some sales or followers from this?

I am thinking that my actual name that I will use as the author of these ebooks etc would have to be included? Are there any other relevant details that I should consider(my current story being a romance, which I intend to upload onto Amazon in both a 'straight' story form and also a 'lesbian' adapted one too, intention being to make a name for myself as a writer of ebooks etc to make money too. And also to try and gain a contract for the film rights. Future ideas for ebooks/film scripts will be based around the 'Gritty Reality' of life and love etc). Can anyone suggest something suitable to reflect these ideas to attract potential e-readers to this blog? All ideas welcomed...

Offline Professional_lesbian

• Gingerbeer Scene Queen
Re: Advice on setting up a blog.
« Reply #1 on: Jul 11, 2015, 11:09:42 AM »
Benchmark! Have a look at some successful writers selling in an ebook format and model that.. Clare Lydon is is REALLY successful right now! (She's a great writer - so that helps too!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lydia

« Reply #2 on: Jul 11, 2015, 05:44:34 PM »
Thanks! I'll go to that right on! And check out Clare Lydon too(new name to me). Ta!

Offline Tante Ella

• Gingerbeer Newbie
  • Funny introvert
« Reply #3 on: Sep 29, 2015, 04:45:41 PM »
Hi Lydia, bit late, but here we go...

A Domain name is just the name of the website. Like gingerbeer.co.uk . Just pick something that appeals to your readers. You might want to look at how other people name their blogs/ websites. You don't have to include your author name there, but might want to put into your bio.

As for getting the domain name - they usually come with webspace where the actual website (the files and images) live. Cheap solutions start at 1.50 a month, sometimes with free first 12 months.

If you want to try for free and play with technicalities without the risk of destroying anything - try setting up a blog on wordpress.com or Google's Blogger. When you feel no longer techno phobe you could move on to your very own website.

Feel free to PM if you need more info.