Author Topic: Advice please - teens and binding  (Read 3431 times)

Offline Lust for Life

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • deep down, I think I am an optimist ...
Re: Advice please - teens and binding
« Reply #15 on: Apr 08, 2015, 07:24:35 AM »
To be fair, just as water can seem floppy and innocuous but is capable of causing a lot of damage, fabric is also either floppy and innocuous or capable of damage too.  Chinese foot binding was achieved with "just" fabric too, wasn't it?  But that was not just for a few hours a day, it was constant and usually from a much younger age.

But I agree with the OP that this is not something to be resolved with a Google search.  What counts as a lot?  What kind and degree of damage is being risked and what are the warning signs? 

Kaylee, what I meant about getting expert advice was not making an appointment for treatment: I see that as a bigger question that runs parallel to this one.  What I meant was, is there not some kind of helpline facility where you can ask this kind of question whilst waiting for treatment, or whilst deciding whether to even sign up for treatment?

I have study deadlines at the mo.  If you have no joy with asking the UK clinic for advice you can ask me to investigate the Dutch ones.  They will certainly be able to speak/correspond with people in English, but finding out whether or not they offer an advice line might be easier in Dutch, maybe? Ask me after Thursday evening if you want me to help.
« Last Edit: Apr 08, 2015, 08:44:29 AM by Lust for Life »

OnMyWay

« Reply #16 on: Apr 08, 2015, 12:56:26 PM »
Good points Lust for Life.

Gendered Intelligence run an email version of a helpline.  Basically if someone sends them a message asking for help or support they will email back and where appropriate speak over the telephone or meet them in person.  They work with children/young people and their parents/carers.

Offline Grey

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • old school old butch
« Reply #17 on: Apr 09, 2015, 02:53:13 PM »
I did binding for years
nothing pierced collapsed or fell off onto the ground

there are so many more resources and choices in shirts and vests now with accompanying advice
there are breathable fabrics and shirts with vents and Velcro for adjustment and easy on off*
I will come back with a few sites for you

Oh-and s/he should never sleep in it

Kaylee your child is so fortunate to have you  8)
It's really wonderful !!
Very best to you both

*every butch or FTM I know who got their first good compression vest has a comical story getting them off after a first delirious exciting sweaty day out in them   

Offline Sorted.

• Slutclique Fluffer
  • GB Testers
  • Gingerbeer Devotee
  • Hold your beliefs lightly.
« Reply #18 on: Apr 09, 2015, 02:59:56 PM »
If ever I want to go out in a shirt and tie I have one of these....
Not from Amazon though - it's the first link that came up.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Underworks-Ultimate-Binder-Extreme-Gynecomastia/dp/B004SRCYMS

It's comfortable and easy and looks grand for very little effort or discomfort.  For me.  I'm sure we all have different levels of discomfort.

Sometimes, I opt for a good sports vest/bra if I spot a gape in a shirt.  Also does the trick.

Good luck to you both. 

Offline Grey

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • old school old butch
« Reply #19 on: Apr 09, 2015, 03:20:51 PM »
http://www.t-kingdom.com/

This site has good advice on sizing and compression levels etc

Offline kaylee

• Gingerbeer Diva
« Reply #20 on: Apr 09, 2015, 11:01:24 PM »
Thank you everyone for your support and advice. I have emailed Gendered Intelligence to see if they have any advice, I can't be the only parent with this concern!

Grey thanks for the product recommendations, I have also heard that binders from gc2b are good.

Offline Jenny Talia

• I was born the same year that homosexuality was removed as a disorder from the DSM
  • GB Testers
  • Gingerbeer Lifer
  • No, that's just perfectly normal paranoia...
    • Planet London
« Reply #21 on: Apr 09, 2015, 11:51:52 PM »
Chinese foot binding was achieved with "just" fabric too, wasn't it?

No, there was a lot more to it than that.  If they wanted to passively bind a girls feet, they would use wooden boards, which still didn't achieve the same effect.

I really don't know what your issue is.

You were not offering advice, you were scaremongering for no good reason.  And by the way, a lot of the stories about boned corsets causing damage are also exaggerations.  So perhaps another 'fact' you should stop throwing around.
« Last Edit: Apr 10, 2015, 12:00:29 AM by Jenny Talia »
You may be wondering what a map of the trade winds of the North Atlantic is doing on page 134 of a book entitled Is Sex Necessary? In our opinion a map of the trade winds is equally useful in understanding women as a cross section of the female anatomy -James Thurber

Nothing risqué, nothing gained

Offline Contemporary Mistress

• Gingerbeer Scene Queen
  • Gingerbeer.co.uk - The Lesbian Guide
« Reply #22 on: Apr 13, 2015, 09:32:52 PM »
I had a quick search  around and it's not without harmfull side effects. Collapsed lungs, deformed ribs etc., which would bother me most as a 13 yr old is still growning and binding will cause permanent changes. Aside from the health issues, not such fun being a bloke with a caved in chest, no amount of pumping iron will sort that out.

I've been coming accross more and more stuff that would seem to indicate that there's a significant de-transitioning trend. Don't know much more than this really.

Good luck to you both.

Do  you  know  any  trans  people,  I  didn't  know  you  were  trans  when  we  met,  you  came  over  as  lesbian.  anyway,  I  disagree  with  anything  being  a  trend  transition  or  not,  I  think  you  just  realise  your  non-binary,  or  binary  and  how  much  that  is,  I  starting  to  realise  for  the  TENTH    time  or  something  like  that  I  am  actually  not  just  a  lesbian  I  am  also  non-binary.  But  people  put  sooooo  much  more  effort  in  telling  you  about  being  binary  and  de-transitioning,  you  don't  know  your  own  mind  blah  blah  blah,  just  don't  have  the  binder  too  tights  my  advice  to  the  teenager  lol

Offline two monkeys

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #23 on: Apr 14, 2015, 01:00:07 AM »
I had a quick search  around and it's not without harmfull side effects. Collapsed lungs, deformed ribs etc., which would bother me most as a 13 yr old is still growning and binding will cause permanent changes. Aside from the health issues, not such fun being a bloke with a caved in chest, no amount of pumping iron will sort that out.

I've been coming accross more and more stuff that would seem to indicate that there's a significant de-transitioning trend. Don't know much more than this really.

Good luck to you both.

Do  you  know  any  trans  people,  I  didn't  know  you  were  trans  when  we  met,  you  came  over  as  lesbian.  anyway,  I  disagree  with  anything  being  a  trend  transition  or  not,  I  think  you  just  realise  your  non-binary,  or  binary  and  how  much  that  is,  I  starting  to  realise  for  the  TENTH    time  or  something  like  that  I  am  actually  not  just  a  lesbian  I  am  also  non-binary.  But  people  put  sooooo  much  more  effort  in  telling  you  about  being  binary  and  de-transitioning,  you  don't  know  your  own  mind  blah  blah  blah,  just  don't  have  the  binder  too  tights  my  advice  to  the  teenager  lol

I don't remember you asking me if I was a lesbian and I certainly didn't tell you that. Are you by chance making assumptions about people based on how they present?

And yes, I do know trans people.
"She walked in through the out door, out door.."

Offline Jenny Talia

• I was born the same year that homosexuality was removed as a disorder from the DSM
  • GB Testers
  • Gingerbeer Lifer
  • No, that's just perfectly normal paranoia...
    • Planet London
« Reply #24 on: Apr 14, 2015, 01:54:27 PM »

Then you shouldn't have to rely on rubbish from the internet then.
You may be wondering what a map of the trade winds of the North Atlantic is doing on page 134 of a book entitled Is Sex Necessary? In our opinion a map of the trade winds is equally useful in understanding women as a cross section of the female anatomy -James Thurber

Nothing risqué, nothing gained

Offline two monkeys

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #25 on: Apr 14, 2015, 09:38:09 PM »

Then you shouldn't have to rely on rubbish from the internet then.

In case anyone is interested here's the link I found where the idiots are talking rubbish and nonsense about the 'dangers' of binding.. https://www.facebook.com/trans.health.australia/posts/326251944177012

I'm sure I could find plenty more but I don't need to as I'm not the worried mother of a child who is wants to bind.

"She walked in through the out door, out door.."

Offline Athene

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • meh.....
« Reply #26 on: Apr 15, 2015, 05:06:33 PM »
Not sure if this helps....

http://transguys.com/features/chest-binding

There are issues with binding, but these all come down to the individual and how they do it... I've not done it myself as I went the other way but I have known a few younger transguys over the years.

Mermaids http://www.mermaidsuk.org.uk/ is also a place to maybe get some advice as they have been at this a long time now (they were around before I came out in the 90's as a teen).
Without sausages the world would be covered in a layer of pigs 26 miles deep...this is the world vegetarians would have us live in....Monsters!

Why so srs?